Gibson Brands Forums

1934 Jumbo Reissue

jw3571

Thanks for the reply, sounds like similar neck shape to my 1934 OJ Ltd Edition. It's a good thing that it sounds closer to the AJ.

Is the scale length identical to your L-00? If yes, I would consider this short scale. I have a Nick Lucas from 1992 which has the long scale 25.4.

I just checked them. The L00 is 25", the Jumbo is 25.4"

Original poster here, I play mostly Neil Young type stuff as well as a lot of rock. I only play at home though, no open mic's for me. I went to GC today and played a J45 Custom Elite Koa and a J45 standard. They sound fairly thin compared to the guitars I own. Is this how the OJ sounds or is it a much bigger sound?

Thanks but I'm looking for the recent reissue, 2013 model.

FYI

That guitar is at CME. It's part of a collection they bought a few years ago. I bought a different model from that collection and it was like new. Also, they are easy to deal with and often have 15% off weekends.

Would there be a big step up with the OJ versus a regular Gibson J45 Standard? I can get a good deal on both used but there is still around a $1500 price difference for the OJ.

Still searching ?! [smile]

It really comes down to the individual instrument. However, I really love my OJ and as you can see I took J45fan as my name here. I sold my J 45 after I received my OJ. If you are looking at a 2013 Ltd Edition OJ you are getting a guitar which is like the Martin Authentic, all hide glue, specs copied from a specific guitar, very light weight, nice selection of wood. However there are some J45 Standards which sound great. I can't take the decision for you ;)

Please let us know what you finally decided on. But the hunt is half the fun!!

Sorry it took so long to respond, I'm changing bands and have been concentrating on learning a lot of new material. Haven't been on the net much.

My OJ is from the '03 batch. The new ones, if I've got it right, are repros of a specific '34 OJ, and I don't know exactly how they're braced. Mine has the wide, forward-shifted X brace like an Advanced Jumbo. Beyond that it is very similar - mahogany back and sides, 24.75 scale, huge soft V neck, Adirondack top. Tonally, I'd put it somewhere between a strummer and a bluegrass guitar. It has some of that chord blend you get from J-45, but it's louder and punchier than a J-45. More like a good 45TV. The neck took a little getting used to, but I really like this guitar.

P

Would there be a big step up with the OJ versus a regular Gibson J45 Standard? I can get a good deal on both used but there is still around a $1500 price difference for the OJ.

Yes. A more realistic comparison would be an OJ to a J45TV. I've played some standards I've liked better than some TVs - tone is in the ear of the beholder - but the OJ is a small-run custom shop instrument, its value is not comparable to a Standard. Think small batch bourbon vs. Jim Beam off the shelf. Flavor is subjective, but the small batch is always going to cost more.

p

I think I may pull the trigger on the OJ. If I could get it for around $2500, do you think I'd be able to break even if I decide to sell it down the road?

Yes. A more realistic comparison would be an OJ to a J45TV. I've played some standards I've liked better than some TVs - tone is in the ear of the beholder - but the OJ is a small-run custom shop instrument, its value is not comparable to a Standard. Think small batch bourbon vs. Jim Beam off the shelf. Flavor is subjective, but the small batch is always going to cost more.

p

Archived