Gibson Brands Forums

New Tele build project

surfpup

I need to give his Cub and B!tch tele pups a listen. I dropped a good bit of cash on the Callaham hardware so I might go with GFS again since I have so many of their pups already and have been pleased - and they are so cheap. I can always upgrade later.

I'm pretty sure there are a couple sound clips on his site for most of the pickups. And yeah, GFS does good stuff too.

-Ryan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress update...

I got the body off to my guitar builder friend, Mick, who has a paint booth. Before he sprayed the body he wanted to check all the routs and rout for the humbucker. Turns out there were some adjustments to be made. The input jack hole was just a little too small for the electrosocket, and the hot dog control rout was too narrow for the CTS pots on the control plate. He's got it all fixed now and the gold paint should go on this week!

DSC_0914.jpg

He also put a decal on the aftermarket neck (officially licensed of course) and sprayed clear nitro over that.

DSC_0913.jpg

By the way, that neck pickup pocket seems to be too big.

Are You going to use a full Tele pickguard, or just a pickup surround ring?

Bence.

It's getting a pickguard. The extra room allows me to also use a P90 if I choose.

Minor progress... but important. Bridge holes and ferrule countersinks drilled. The Callaham ferrules sit nicely flush with the body. Now it's off to Mick's paint booth. Next time you see it it will be Gibson gold.

DSC_10014.jpg

DSC_10016.jpg

DSC_10017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, nitrocellulose. You know, for the tone. :rolleyes:

I hope it comes pre-mixed with the magic mojo fairy dust that only expensive thus better guitars have :)

The only boring bit about nitro is it takes ages to cure.. But you gotta wait for vintage tone :^o :)

• 2 weeks later...

Clear coat is going on. It's been so humid, my buddy Mick is having a hard time getting coats of finish on. However, he says the clear is done and now it just needs some finish sanding. This has been a very slow process, bit Mick is a perfectionist and I should end up with a stellar finish.

DSC_20005.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back from the paint booth! I picked it up today. Definitely worth the wait, Mick takes his time and does it right.

The nitro is gorgeous. Now I just need to get busy on assembly. Tempted to throw it together and play it at tonight's gig...

we'll see. I plan to do a full copper foil shield on the cavities, so it will take a while.

IMG_5602.jpg

IMG_5598.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

IMG_5607.jpg

Archived