Gibson Brands Forums

Windows 10

flyingarmadillo

Well I did the "upgrade" on my laptop and my early review is mixed. It seems way slower than Windows 7 Pro. The mix of Windows 8 apps and the retained Windows 7 features, including the "Start button" is nice. One word of warning - it will completely remove your security software and replace it with Windows Defender. So make sure you have a copy of the latest security release from your vendor (I use Norton Internet Security) if you don't want to rely on Microsoft.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff....keep it coming.... [thumbup]

I read an article on Yahoo News suggesting to take the option to postpone the download...

On the assumption that any new system will be less than perfect at the outset

That comment about anti virus has me slightly worried...although I already have Windows Defender running in tandem with McAfee...so hopefully that can continue without too much hassle...

Any folks with similar experience please share (for the good of mankind).... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Wait till service pack 1 :)

Programmers are so bloody lazy these days.. I don't know what ever happened to just releasing good software that works and has been tested properly... These constant updates on everything really annoys me. Back in the day we didn't have a chance to update stuff.. if you released something it had to have no A bugs (crashes and things that stop working) or B bugs (things that get in the way of normal operation) or you couldn't release it...

This is of great interest to me, as I've ordered a laptop which has Windows 8.1. I think I'll follow Rabs advice and wait before upgrading to Windows 10.

kind regards, Emma :)

Well there is a slim chance they may have just got it right.. But from the history of Windows and software these days in general I kinda doubt it?

Please Microsoft.. Prove me wrong :) (swear warning for those sensitive enough to care)

Hi Rabs, that video made me laugh :)

kind regards, Emma :)

Yes well, to anyone who had to use Windows 98 professionally it was no joke.. Hours of work, then you would get the classic "Blue screen of death" for no apparent reason and all your work gone and you had to restart...

It was pain.... I remember the first time I saw that clip, I think I actually literally cheered :)

After upgrading from 8 to 8.1 my computer transformed into a ravenous bandwidth monster. [scared] It got to the point that I had to set the updating process to manual.

If 10 offers any improvement in reducing that behavior I think it may be well worth the effort.

Wait till service pack 1 :)

Programmers are so bloody lazy these days.. I don't know what ever happened to just releasing good software that works and has been tested properly... These constant updates on everything really annoys me. Back in the day we didn't have a chance to update stuff.. if you released something it had to have no A bugs (crashes and things that stop working) or B bugs (things that get in the way of normal operation) or you couldn't release it...

Then it costs $120.

However, if you install it now, then rollback to your previous operating system you can still redo the W10 upgrade for free at some point in the future. However, the rollback is an option only in the first 30 days..

Then it costs $120.

However, if you install it now, then rollback to your previous operating system you can still redo the W10 upgrade for free at some point in the future. However, the rollback is an option only in the first 30 days..

Huh, didn't know that...

Still im not bothered.. Im on windows 7... it works fine for me.. When I buy a new computer at some point im sure it will come with Windows 10.... I will try it then :)

Unless you just paid $60 to renew your Norton license. I've run them back to back and Norton always finds things that Defender has missed.

Word, i wouldn't be surprised if those programs you pay for 'make up' that they found something, or what they found isn't malicious etc...

But what do I know. I signed up for Windows 10 months ago but i can't get it yet.

I went with the upgrade because of the way they obsolete the previous versions and you can get this for free right now.

It's different.[cursing]

For instance, on another site the emoticons don't work but on here they do and I finally have normal spacing when I type something.

I can't quite figure out how to schedule tasks or get any easy list of frequently visited sites (here, audiocircle,badweatherbikers, etc.).

The security scan is taking forever...

I've been running it on my laptop for a few days. I went ahead and deleted everything and did a fresh install since there was nothing important on my laptop. It runs fine. It's the same old Windows with a few new features and a new skin on top of it. They've also made some performance improvements but other than that it's nothing amazing.

I'm currently out of town but when I get home I'm going to try the upgrade on my desktop without doing a fresh install. Hopefully that goes well because I do have important stuff on that computer.

Archived