Gibson Brands Forums

First album you bought for yourself - be honest

flatbaroque

The recent Donovan thread made me think this might be interesting.

The first album I bought for myself was a "greatest hits". So by definition - not so cool. But at least it was "Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits" the blue cover with the iconic profile shot.I would have been 15, I guess, and had only been able to afford some singles before that.

So out yourself with your first purchase...and don't say John Lee Hooker when it was really Bay City Rollers [smile]. Post your initial musical insights or indiscretions.

post-25856-012519900 1438388159_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With my own money. I actually do recall this. It was a mono copy of "Introducing the Beatles" on the Vee Jay label. I bought it in early 1964 at the Woolworths Five and Dime on my way home from school shortly after returning from X'mas break. The first stereo LP (stereo versions cost $1 more than mono records) I ever bought was Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited."

The Eagles.This was followed by Desperado, One of These Nights, and Hotel California.Then came Boston.

Then....... Wait for it..... Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack... Then the Andy Gibb album... Shadow Dancing... Keep in mind that I grew up in Bay Ridge Brooklyn, where SNF was filmed. Travolta's family's house was my friends house. They moved out for two weeks and got $5,000.

I'm so ashamed. :)

I kind of righted myself after that with all The Doors albums, The Who albums, Led Zep, Allman Brothers, Clapton, Skynard, Bob Seger, Jackson Browne...

FB... Seriously... I remember so little sometimes, because my head is crammed with so much other stuff, but I vividly remember buying my albums, and in what order. What great memories.

1st album was Revolver by the Beatles. I didn't like it much because I was 9 and it was over my head and was more sophisticated music than "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

I paid $4.95 in 1966 for the album and I still have the album. Its now my fav Beatle album. The guitars in that album are incredibly complex.

I cannot remember the first one I bought because I would lobby for certain ones for presents and then borrow others from my older brothers.

First two I remember getting are an instructional one from the Ventures (still remember how to play the songs) and then Rubber Soul (remember all those too).

3d9f584444.JPG

Rubber_Soul.jpg

Not sure if it was the first.....but I remeber buying and playing the 45rpm of "Hello I Love You" by The Doors.....in StereoPhonic.....

Sounded SOoooo good on my dads Gerrard turntable through the Bozak loudspeakers.

@ 1:15 the sound would travel left to right across the speakers....

Ha...no stinkers so far [biggrin]

I'd like to comment on them all..but life's too short.

I will say i'm looking forward to Sal's cover of Stayin' Alive on the Hummingbird in his white three piece suit.

And 62B you were one sophisticated whippersnapper.But that is a very nice piece of graphic art on that cover

'High Tide and Green Grass'. Now digging through my milk crates to find and photograph. It's the orig with the booklet. My big sister bought the all the other essential vinyl, but I also recall buying Dave Clark Five 'Glad All Over' and John Mayall's 'Back To The Roots'.

I'm getting all nostalgic now.

I didnt get albums for years because the old radiogram only had 45rpm or 75rpm that worked...somebody broke the 33 1/3rpm, obviously my younger brother... [biggrin] ....

My first single bought with my lawnmowing cash was 'Love Me Do' Beatles and that was the only 45rpm that sat in it's cover until I lashed out for 'Listen To The Band' Monkees.

Things improved financially when I scored a job washing a local lady's sports car and from that excellent work I got asked to do a doctor's BMW and Range Rover.....and Dad can do the lawn himself. And I bought every issue of Rolling Stone and New Musical Express and I knew everything!!! And a paisly shirt with white Amco jacket. And then Magical Mystery EP, then later on, Stones with Sticky Fingers and Led Zeppelin IV and then cassettes came out........ [mellow]

BluesKing777.

It was "Meet The Beatles" for me. It was a Mono LP and worked perfectly on my fold open turntable with a built in speaker. It was probably 1964 and I was age 10. Bought it at the local five and dime. I still have it too.

No idea what the first album I bought with my own money would be. I was collecting records from the time I was 3 with my Sesame Street 45s. I remember my dad getting me a couple of Roy Acuff albums because I liked him. My aunt gave me The Who Live at Leeds and Pet Sounds. The first rock album at age 9 was KISS ALIVE II.

I then progressed from Kiss to Aerosmith (pre-comeback) to Rolling Stones to Beatles to Ramones and beyond....

Archived