Gibson Brands Forums

First album you bought for yourself - be honest

flatbaroque

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm an early starter - 6 years old in 1965, I went solo down the pavement to the end of the street and bought this one.

My parents weren't irresponsible people, they must have known what kind of mission it was - a bit of a walk.

Notice the original belt too - right out of the Help! movie. .

The mono version ~ FB%20November%20-%202014%203%2012%20%20it%20-.jpg

From the archive

Sounds of Silence was first, then Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme and Bookends. Then Brother Love's Travelling Salvation Show, soundtrack to Funny Girl...

It was all so tactile and vivid, wasn't it? You're 9, 10, 11, 12 and you've got some money (usually just barely enough) and a maybe a bike and you can't get to the record store (actually and weirdly, it was a men's clothing store in my hometown in the Chicago suburbs that had a small room with 45s and LPs) fast enough and you sure couldn't get home fast enough and please, please no skips!

Was this true for all pre-teens of the era, or just a thing in common with those of us HAD to pick up a guitar and then never put it down?

And remember your first album with liner notes?! Wasn't that a brilliant idea?

Ahh, great thread, FB...

Rory Gallagher "Live in Europe" because of the song "Pistol Slapper Blues". Took me years to learn to play it right back in the early 70's. I really wore out that album in a few weeks.

BTW, I still love to play that song.

I know I had been GIVEN albums (and 45s and 78s) but the first album I can absolutely remember walking into the store and buying was this one, in August of 1969, a couple days after I got a new record player for my 9th birthday. Pretty sure it was $3.49.

61qg7ZPSTSL._SY355_.jpg

My first single bought with my lawnmowing cash was 'Love Me Do' Beatles and that was the only 45rpm that sat in it's cover until I lashed out for 'Listen To The Band' Monkees.

Lawn mowing and shoveling snow kept a lot of us in 45s and LPs (and guitar strings). 45s were less than 60 cents. All you had to do was skip two school lunches and you enough to buy one. I am pretty sure my first 45 was the Beatles "She Loves You." Do you remember Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" 45 rpm? The first half of the song was on the A-side and the second on the B-side.

I also got my first job when in high school - worked for a local landscaper. After that, as I had no real expenses, it was smooth sailing.

I cannot remember the first one I bought because I would lobby for certain ones for presents and then borrow others from my older brothers.

First two I remember getting are an instructional one from the Ventures (still remember how to play the songs) and then Rubber Soul (remember all those too).

3d9f584444.JPG

Rubber_Soul.jpg

end quote:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or ..

Can't find my Vol. I

steve

Early 60's, about 16 years old, I finally had enough saved to buy my first LP, The Poll Winners Three album on Contemporary with Barney Kessel, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne.

MI00017886831_zps2fsp8sda.jpg

Soon followed by the Spirituals to Swing album and the first Charlie Christian album I could find.

R-3361501-1329651937.jpeg1_zpsc0kjsqps.jpg

When the Beatles and the Stones came out a bit later I bought their first albums, and then when Dylan released his early masterpiece, The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, my friends and I with our jazz background really got into that as well. The guitar playing and singing on Don't Think Twice left us gobsmacked [thumbup]

JB

Mine was a Cliff Richard album, titled 'Cliff', in 1959. Early days when he was still an Elvis wannabe, all rock and roll songs. I was just a nine year old, saved a few weeks pocket money to buy it :)

Archived