Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
drew365

2016 Models

I believe they are the57s. Ill check today. Neck is a nice 50s profile. When I say think 2012-13, I mean it. Literally these feel just like,they did 2 years ago. They are NICE!:-)

The kicker for the 2016 Traditional is whether or not it's non weight relieved or traditional weight relief!

That I'm most curious about...

Has the fretwire gone back to pre 2014 fretwire? (they reduced the fretwire on the 2014 model year)

What about the pots? The 2013's had 300K pots and the 2014's went to 500K

Come on Gibson post the info on the new model year!

Specs look great on the Traditional Traditional's minus the stupid Tune-O-Matic with titanium saddles. Nibs are back - finishes are great - pickups are awesome.

And a 2016 Goldtop Standard returns!

Can't wait to play some of these new guitars!

I believe they are the57s. Ill check today. Neck is a nice 50s profile. When I say think 2012-13, I mean it. Literally these feel just like,they did 2 years ago. They are NICE!:-)

Thanks so much. I have seen other sites today popping up with them and listing the Trads as 57/57+. I wonder why the swan song for the 59 Trib humbuckers? They were awesome (love them in my 2014 Trad). Don't get me wrong I love 57s too...but the 59s are even better IMO. Wonder if maybe Gibson will be moving them over to Custom Shop use only (since they are so vintage sounding).

Any word on weight-relief?

Thanks again!

The Traditiona's feel heavy, well like a Traditional has over the past few years. The Standards, much lighter. My guess is the Standard has weight relief while the Traditional does not.

Middle row are the 2016s.

df9ffb.jpg

Thanks so much. I have seen other sites today popping up with them and listing the Trads as 57/57+. I wonder why the swan song for the 59 Trib humbuckers? They were awesome (love them in my 2014 Trad). Don't get me wrong I love 57s too...but the 59s are even better IMO. Wonder if maybe Gibson will be moving them over to Custom Shop use only (since they are so vintage sounding).

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

I'm with you, love 57's but I personally like the 59 Tributes more.

And your theory may sound crazy but one of my 59's has to be replaced.

Luckily for me under warranty, problem is they didn't have them in stock. I was told by Gibson's CC Europe that they have ordered one from the Custom Shop in Nashville.

Yeah, me too. I use both sets but prefer the 59s. All subjective I suppose. All in all the line looks good. What I'm surprised they did was return to "all" Batwing SGs but the mini bucker. I liked the last couple years of the Standards.

They're all up on Sweetwater now too, glad to see that they listened...hopefully there's nothing too good to be true about this. Firebirds for $1099, yes please!

Thanks Golden for posting that link to AMS; a bit more information never goes unwanted!

Looks good that the specs are returning, with some of the good features still present. Although I'd prefer it if they'd kept the fret over binding; I really don't give a damn if it's the "wrong" thing to say on the matter; but I thought that it was one of the better moves; bends are so much easier?!

Just IMO.

Oh and another thing! Why'd they do away with the removable pickguard?! Another bloody brilliant idea.

As good as it is to return to some normalcy; they could have properly had a look at which features were respected and which weren't!

Frets over binding is more of a "Epiphone" spec, in the Gibson family. So, I for one, am glad they returned to the "nibs!"

Just that little "extra," that was a characteristic Gibson spec. But then, I never had any problems with the strings

getting caught in-between the nibs, and the fret ends, in the first place. And, those that wanted the fret over binding

could have that done. Why make everyone do that??

As to the removable "snap in" pick guard? For me, the better idea was to leave it off, but in the case, with the

applicable hardware, and let the buyer decide if they want it installed or not. Why would you want to take it off,

and/or put it back on, all the time. Make a decision! LOL [biggrin] I guess they could make an "after market" kit,

for that, just for those that see the usefulness in it?

CB

Oh and another thing! Why'd they do away with the removable pickguard?! Another bloody brilliant idea.

As good as it is to return to some normalcy; they could have properly had a look at which features were respected and which weren't!

The removable pick guard in my opinion was the best feature of the 2015 lineup!

This they should have kept as a feature for all Gibson USA lineup guitars.

No more screw holes ruining beautiful tops on Les Pauls!

GC's website has the 2016s up with specs. Again is repeated the use of the 57/57+ pups in the Trad. Also, they state the Trad has "traditional weight relief". If true (both the pups and the traditional weight relief) this will likely make the 2013 and 2014 Trads with non-weight relief highly desirable in the future I'm guessing... the 2014 maybe even more so because of the 59 Trib HBs (the unfortunate 2015 Trad, despite also being non-weight relieved <and blessed with 59 Trib HBs> will likely not ever make the highly desirable list because it's saddled with the highly undesirable 2015 specs).

I'm with you, love 57's but I personally like the 59 Tributes more.

And your theory may sound crazy but one of my 59's has to be replaced.

Luckily for me under warranty, problem is they didn't have them in stock. I was told by Gibson's CC Europe that they have ordered one from the Custom Shop in Nashville.

Ha! Well there you go... maybe I'm onto something. :D

I love the direction of the 2016s... I love the return to normalcy, I love the nibs... and I do love the 57/57+ pickup combo... but (as I've said before) I love the 59s better. Perhaps they were just "too" good for the USA line and had to be relegated to the Custom Shop after all. ;) Especially glad I got my 2014 with them now! :D All those 2014 haters who wouldn't buy a 2014 because of the innocuous little 120th Anny inlay may well have passed on a one-off special year with non-weight relief and 59 Trib HBs. I've always thought my 2014 of as basically a poor man's R8/R9... maybe even more so now.

Oh brother... now AMS is listing on their website the 2016 Trad as having no weight relieft (maddening--which is it????).

I did a quick study of all the Trads they have in stock... weights averaged 9lbs 5.47oz with extreme ranges of 10lbs 14oz and 6lbs 11oz (6??? that's gotta be a typo, right?).

Hello!

Absolutely not! While baked maple is the best substitute for ebony, Richlite is used toilet paper soaked in resin.

[biggrin]

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Absolutely not! While baked maple is the best substitute for ebony, Richlite is used toilet paper soaked in resin.

[biggrin]

Cheers... Bence

Thanks I'm lost in the jungle of all the different typen of material, and pickups and ... But it sure is fun to learn a little each day :)

Hello!

Both fretboard materials appeared in 2011 on Gibsons, when the company had some problems acquiring traditionally used rosewood and ebony wood.

Baked, or torrefied maple is a heat-treated wood that feels like ebony to touch, but has lighter color.

Richlite is a synthetic material made of cellulose and resin. Looks just like ebony, but it's not wood.

Bence

Hello!

Both fretboard materials appeared in 2011 on Gibsons, when the company had some problems acquiring traditionally used rosewood and ebony wood.

Baked, or torrefied maple is a heat-treated wood that feels like ebony to touch, but has lighter color.

Richlite is a synthetic material made of cellulose and resin. Looks just like ebony, but it's not wood.

Bence

So there is no reason to be put off the 60ies tribute because of the baked maple. Looks like a good gutar at a low price, but prices in Norway will be way over the US prices.

So there is no reason to be put off the 60ies tribute because of the baked maple. Looks like a good gutar at a low price, but prices in Norway will be way over the US prices.

I have two Gibsons with rosewood fingerboard, both Indian and Brazilian.

And two Gibsons with baked maple. Personally, I prefer those. Great material. If Gibson dyed it black, no way one could tell it from ebony. And it can be done with leather dye/linseed oil mixture. The neighboring Sweden is a linseed oil superpower, by the way. 😊

Cheers... Bence

Sad to see that the Classic and Deluxe did not survive the changes; it would have been nice to see them with 2016 specs.

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any of the 2016 line with G-Force; although until the Gibson announcement comes through I guess we don't know the whole picture; maybe it's optional, now?

It also looks like some finishes see the return of the teardrop burst, while others retain the perimeter burst shape.