Gibson Brands Forums

2006 Walker Wise River Video

This is a consignment guitar and priced at $3,000 plus shipping. I'm linking to a video and hope you experts will tell me if the tone has a vintage vibe or more of a modern sound. My ears aren't good enough to tell from this sample.

This is number 18 so it was one of Mr. Walker's early builds with the tear drop pickguard and supposedly has a thinner neck than the later ones. I have no doubt about the excellent build quality of these guitars and I've about given up on finding and early 50s J-45, which has the tone that I like most. I am a finger picker, not a strummer, and I use a thumb pick.

So, what do y'all think about the tone and this "deal" in general?

I just got done playing on a 1948 J-45 at Willies guitrs in St. Paul, Minnesota. If I had the $8,000 + asking price in my pocket, would've fol;lowed me out the door. While I think this Walker sounds quite nice, I can't really tell - I like to gauge the rumble in my chest. Do you flat-pick like the player in the video? I think much of his tone might be coming from his pick, and technique - he sure makes it sound pretty close to my ears.

Dan, I agree about the tone being pick, technique, and of course the microphone. That's why I've asked for help and was hoping someone with younger ears could give me their impression. Like I said, I use a thumb pick and bare fingers.

Oh yeah, that '48 at Willie's is no doubt a monster but that price is unreachable for me. Might be high, given the updated bridge but I'm no expert.

Willie's has never been bashful about pricing.

My take on the Walkers is based on very limited experience. But what is in my head is I would probably be more inclined to buy a Walker Wise River than a modern Gibson J-45 but there is not a snowball's chance in Hell I would trade my 1942 J-50 for a Walker no matter how much extra cash was thrown in my direction. You want old school Gibson tone buy an old Gibson.