Gibson Brands Forums

2016 SG fantasy design....

norcalpiper

I was pondering today what the 2016 lineup will be and got to thinking what I wish woild be unvailed.

My wish is for an SG goldtop with white pickguard, binding, 57's with chrome covers, etc. Kinda a mimic of the LP vversion. It would also be cool to have an option for the same guitar, but with soapbar p-90's....

I'd also like to see a selection of really great AAA tops in tasteful bursts or colors without pickguards. Epiphone did a limited edition quilt top a couple years back. I have seen it referred to as "rootbeer burst", but it was flat out gorgeous.

Fantasy I guess.....

My only wish is, that they make them ALL like the '61-66 originals, with the wider/deeper bevels,

the horn tapering, with more color options, as well as Maestro, and Bigsby tremolo options, also.

Love to see a SG "Special" (P-90's, dot makers, and neck binding) done that way, as well as a SG Junior.

Simple...back the basic's! [thumbup]

CB

My only wish is, that they make them ALL like the '61-66 originals, with the wider/deeper bevels,

the horn tapering, with more color options, as well as Maestro, and Bigsby tremolo options, also.

Love to see a SG "Special" (P-90's, dot makers, and neck binding) done that way, as well as a SG Junior.

CB

+1

Yea as simple as that!

A junior or special in those specs i would have once again.....

• 3 weeks later...

Pelham Blue SG with small pick guard, ebony board, Lyre vibrola, Classic 57s and no robot tuners. If they came out with a P90 version in Invernesse Green as well I'd end up with two SGs this year.

I'll probably just have to go to a luthier and have them built since Gibson doesn't give 2 shits about what their customers want. We'll just get more "tasteful burst" LPs and "relic'd" guitars.

Love to see a SG "Special" (P-90's, dot makers, and neck binding) done that way, as well...

CB

[thumbup]

I concur! But then, if they did that, I'd have to buy one... and I'd catch hell from the Mrs. LOL!

CB

+1 to that! They've got all these options for an LP, why not an SG? The range of different SG's has diminished year on year it seems; it's going the wrong way!

Yes, but with the deeper, wider beveling and horn tapering, of the original early '60's

SG's!

CB

ah yes,, I know you do prefer that to the modern horn setup.

me? Meh,, don't matter at all..

in fact, I'd have to go see your previously posted pics I think to even know what you are talking about.

Here, you go...from my 2013 SG "Original"

DSC_0770.jpg

(notice how the horns come to more of a point=horn tapering. And, how the beveling is

a bit wider, and deeper, too.

[thumbup]

DSC_0773-1.jpg

And, how the back is slanted toward the front, adding to the tapering. As well as the

deeper bevel, on the upper horn, even on the back.

[thumbup]

THAT's what I love about early '60's beveling, and horn tapering. It's the way the SG's

(All models) were done, originally.

[biggrin]

CB

I don't know, I feel a little like Will Rogers in that I never met an SG I didn't like! :)

Seriously, I think the classic over-all shape (beveled horns or not, CB!) lends itself to look good in just about any color or finish you could imagine.

What I'd like to see is something different cosmetically. Has Gibson ever tried a split batwing pickguard? What I'm imagining is take the small pickguard, and add a mirror image of that on top of the guitar. Leave the middle open to show off the P90's against the wood.

Another dream I have is putting a Wilkinson Tremolo bridge on an SG, but I guess the guitar is a bit thin for that? Can they make an SG on steroids to accommodate that?msp_lol.gif

yea. I can see why now, a little more effort goes into those.. just a bit more pleasing appearance wise.

Yeah, they just look, and feel better, to me! [tongue][biggrin] Once you're used to them,

it's hard (impossible, in my case) to go any other way, on SG's. However, if you've never experienced

them, and are used to the other, less pronounced bevels, you probably wouldn't care? But, having grown

up with the original spec's, they're the one's I much prefer...obviously. [biggrin] LOL

CB

Hey Rabs, what were the prices on those 3 SG's. Went to the site but no pricing.

Nice_zpsnggl40qp.png

This is what I'm looking for. spalted maple, ebony, mop.graphite nut, no binding. I'm thinking maybe I need some binging now. I don't normally like binding on my necks.

Archived