Gibson Brands Forums

Pickguard lifting up on my Songwriter Deluxe

koahoa

Hi guys. I have an 07' USA Gibson Songwriter Deluxe EC Custom Koa that was made in Dec of '07 for an "08 Promotion for Guitar Center. It's one of fifty that were made, front back and sides of flamed koa.One was sent to each of the fifty states. The problem I am having is that every time I open the case the pick guard is lifting all the way around and I was wondering if anyone has anyone words of wisdom for me about how to fix this issue. I hate to replace any part on this guitar with a new one given that it was one of only fifty that were made that year. Would you glue down the old pick guard or buy a new one? What is recommended for glue to keep them stuck down? I have heard that this issue can also cause the top wood to crack in the area between the bridge and the sound hole. How concerned should I be about that? Thanks, Guys.

You can remove the guard using naphtha, wich will soften the glue without hurting the finish. Use it also to clean the guitar and the guard once it is off so no glue remains. You can then buy some double-sided adhesive from stewmac.com and use it to put the guard on. This is the kind of adhesive Gibson uses.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Pickguard_Materials/Pickguard_Adhesive_Sheet.html

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Cleaners_and_Lubricants/Behlen_Naphtha_Solvent.html

Lars

If you are the original owner, take it to an authorized Gibson repair facility and they may replace it for free. DO NOT use glue to reattach the old one. Double sided tape is what you should use, but if the old one is curling up, it may not lay flat enough for you to reattach it. Good luck.

Thanks , Lars, for the info and the links. It's much appreciated.

You can remove the guard using naphtha, wich will soften the glue without hurting the finish. Use it also to clean the guitar and the guard once it is off so no glue remains. You can then buy some double-sided adhesive from stewmac.com and use it to put the guard on. This is the kind of adhesive Gibson uses.

http://www.stewmac.c...sive_Sheet.html

http://www.stewmac.c...ha_Solvent.html

Lars

Thanks so much for the info ,strummer. You said that if the pick guard is curling up, it may not lie flat enough for me to reattach it? Do they sometimes some times warp so badly from this issue that they are no longer reusable and if so, any ideas on what most often causes this issue....pick guard drying out, humidity issues with the wood itself, etc...? Thanks.

If you are the original owner, take it to an authorized Gibson repair facility and they may replace it for free. DO NOT use glue to reattach the old one. Double sided tape is what you should use, but if the old one is curling up, it may not lay flat enough for you to reattach it. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the info ,strummer. You said that if the pick guard is curling up, it may not lie flat enough for me to reattach it? Do they sometimes some times warp so badly from this issue that they are no longer reusable and if so, any ideas on what most often causes this issue....pick guard drying out, humidity issues with the wood itself, etc...? Thanks.

The cause could be a number of things. It could be a humidity issue or it could just be a defective pickguard. If you are the original owner, I'd take it to a Gibson facility to have it looked at before you try to do anything on your own. Otherwise, if you mess with it first, they might not cover it. If you're not the original owner you could try to remove it and place it under a stack of books to see if it will flatten out. If you try to just put double sided tape under the parts that are now curling, most likely it will just curl up again.

Unfortunately strummer, I am not the original owner of this guitar. Because if I was , I would definitely let Gibson do it for me. When it is warm out here and the pickguard starts to peel up, it does quite a bit of cupping too. So that a much smaller portion of the pickguard is actually still touching the surface of the guitar. I am pretty sure that using naptha and gently peeling it away , I think it should come right off. So that is probably what I will do tonight when I get home( it's supposed to be 105-109 here again in Alabama today).I do believe it's is very likely the heat and the humidity here in Alabama are the cause of the issue. I usually work on my own guitars some anyway and even build a few electrics for myself from time to time. I don't have a lot experience working on or building acoustics though and that is why I really do appreciate all the good advice all you guys give me here.I am currently working on a nearly all solid Indian rosewood carved top LP.... the body is solid mahogany with a QS carved Indian rosewood top with 3 Gibson humbuckers, 5-way strat switching, to get the in between positions , a solid Indian rosewood LP neck and a rosewood fretboard with an abalone and MOP vine and flower design with hummingbirds at the flowers, that goes the whole length of the neck. I will try to post pics of it if I ever get it finished...wink.

Yes, please post pictures of your guitar. It sounds cool!

Maybe you should try a new pickguard if you decide to remove the current one yourself. Just save rhe original one in case you should ever decide to sell the guitar.

Changing a guard is a very easy task. I have done it several times on my own guitars. It is no big deal. Just make sure to use the double sided tape,. Stay away from any type of glue.

Lars

I buy the pvc plastic sheet of ebay using the old one as a template.Then cut it myself.Use sand paper to sand off any excessive edge.It's a lot easy than you think if you buy the thin pvc sheet (mine is 0.68mm, don't buy one that say 1 mm).

P.S.Drawing with marker first then use scissors to cut it (don't use cutter).The key is that you MUST go slow,be patient and you'll get there.

20150811_152848.jpg

20150811_152934.jpg

20150811_152720.jpg

Thanks for the reply Jimmy. I very much appreciate the advice.

I buy the pvc plastic sheet of ebay using the old one as a template.Then cut it myself.Use sand paper to sand off any excessive edge.It's a lot easy than you think if you buy the thin pvc sheet (mine is 0.68mm, don't buy one that say 1 mm).

P.S.Drawing with marker first then use scissors to cut it (don't use cutter).The key is that you MUST go slow,be patient and you'll get there.

20150811_152848.jpg

20150811_152934.jpg

20150811_152720.jpg

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I did pull the old pickguard off this guitar and I didn't even need the naptha to do it. It came off that easy and with no damage to the finish. But I will get some naptha and take the adhesive off the body and the old pick guard. I think the old pick guard looks like I might be able to straighten it out if I press it under some books or something. If not I will just hang onto it and buy a new one and some double sided adhesive from Stewmac.. I really do appreciate all the help guys. So thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Jimmy. I very much appreciate the advice.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived