Gibson Brands Forums

Cant decide what to call them

Rabs

So I made these guitars recently

DSC_0029_zpscm4f06sv.jpg

As you can see they are made from two different halfs of wood.... The top one is actually made of the same wood (utile) each side but the bottom half is showing the top grain and the top half is showing the side grain.... then the other one is made from Utile and Ash to really give a contrast to each side....

But I really cant decide on what to call them..

My original name was a Yin/Yang guitar but then I thought that may be a bit cheesy.. I at the moment I refer to them as half and halfs... but that's not really a great name.. So im kinda stuck as to what to call them.

Someone mentioned on one of my build threads a Two Face guitar :) which isn't bad but im really still not sure.

So, any one got any other ideas.. Maybe something like a RabsWood DuelWood?

As usual, any comments are appreciated [thumbup]

Im not Jimmy Page you know [rolleyes]

:)

I put together a guitar years ago and engraved the neck plate 0001(strat style) if I did a second one which I didn't it would have been 0002..

till you mentioned Page I never gave it a second thought....because who cares what he call his not me and if I did I would still call it 0001....

I don't name guitars and never paid attention to people that did....

I put together a guitar years ago and engraved the neck plate 0001(strat style) if I did a second one which I didn't it would have been 0002..

till you mentioned Page I never gave it a second thought....because who cares what he call his not me and if I did I would still call it 0001....

I don't name guitars and never paid attention to people that did....

Yeah im not talking about personal names... I have never named a guitar...

But im looking for a model name as I may try to sell them (these are just my prototypes though).. and hopefully make more if people like the idea (and they work well and sound good of course)...

Well, BB named one, so it can't be too inappropriate. Come to think of it, none of my guitars have names, other than "the maple" or "the RAVS." I only mention Sybil because she was this somewhat famous case of someone with multiple personalities. (Yes, more crazy people. :rolleyes: But it fits the wood!)

Half and Half is really pretty good I think. It brings to mind a nice "black and tan" in the pub. Black and Tan is also a decent name. [thumbup]

Hmm... how about maybe shortening it too H&H?

Hmm... how about maybe shortening it too H&H?

Not so much, no.

Thinking on it further - half and half (or whatever) is more the finish/top option than the model - which would normally be based more on the shape of the body? Just thinking in print here. Seems like both a model and finish is appropriate.

For example, it might be a Rabswood Double Cut in Half and Half. As opposed to a Rabswood Double Cut in solid mahogany.

Not so much, no.

Thinking on it further - half and half (or whatever) is more the finish/top option than the model - which would normally be based more on the shape of the body? Just thinking in print here. Seems like both a model and finish is appropriate.

For example, it might be a Rabswood Double Cut in Half and Half. As opposed to a Rabswood Double Cut in solid mahogany.

Yes the full name would be Rabswood Double Cut in Half and Half.. (all my shapes are double cuts) :)

And well its not the top.. Both light and dark pieces of wood are solid with a natural finish (tru oil only (well apart from the grain highlights on the ash which is ebony dust).

Hmm, its not easy is it... Like coming up with a band name is usually harder than writing a song :)

Hmm, its not easy is it... Like coming up with a band name is usually harder than writing a song :)

It is not easy for sure! I have agonized over this stuff often with my pedal offerings. [cursing] Like good song. you want it to be unique and yet familiar at the same time.

Not so much, no.

Just to illustrate my point check out a back shot

DSC_0044_zpsdbl5vkwp.jpg

But im looking for a model name as I may try to sell them (these are just my prototypes though).. and hopefully make more if people like the idea (and they work well and sound good of course)...

gotcha..thanks for that...I'm a little slow most of the time.....

over under

biwood

split

bottoms up

down under

Hi Rabs, your guitars are coming along nicely. How about: Rabswood Harlequin Series. Just seen a photo of a rabbit and one half of it's face is dark and the other half light.

Anyway just a thought, but I know how you feel. I've been writing some music and I can't think of a name, don't want to use my real name lol.

kind regards, Emma:)

RABS GUITARS seems to me like a good overall brand name.

Might be confusion with this:

//Robert

Lol..

Actually Rabs is my nick name from school and comes a from very drunk very Scottish tv character called Rab C Nesbit.... And im neither drunk or Scottish but its from part of my surname. :)

Hi Rabs, your guitars are coming along nicely. How about: Rabswood Harlequin Series. Just seen a photo of a rabbit and one half of it's face is dark and the other half light.

Anyway just a thought, but I know how you feel. I've been writing some music and I can't think of a name, don't want to use my real name lol.

kind regards, Emma:)

That's weird ive had the same idea for the word Harlequin... But what I may do next time is make the neck wood opposite to the body wood so you have four quadrants, that would certainly be a good name for that guitar [thumbup]

Hello Rabs!

The Horizon series... The ash/utile could be the "Desert Horizon" variant.

Cheers... Bence

Very interesting idea Bence [thumbup]

While its a less obvious choice in descriptive terms its a nice sounding name.

Archived