Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabs

Cant decide what to call them

That's weird ive had the same idea for the word Harlequin... But what I may do next time is make the neck wood opposite to the body wood so you have four quadrants, that would certainly be a good name for that guitar [thumbup]

Hi Rabs, that sounds like a great design. [thumbup]

kind regards, Emma:)

Rabs great looking guitars! When I saw the title I immediately thought Rabs' Ying Yang then I read the post that you thought of it then thought otherwise. I still like it. [thumbup]

I really like the shape. I like double cuts that mirror about the centreline.

So Ive tried coming up with names that describe this. The most suited one was

Echo

I like some of the names you thought of. Also I liked the Horizon suggestion.

Hmm... Thanks one and all for the input...

This is going to be one of those threads that I end up more confused than when I started :)

I thought Janus was perfect in fact....especially if you have a coil-split.

Or how about the Rabswood Schizo? Unless that's non-pc........

maybe to early for a model....prototype.....get a few of the same kind and give a name/model...

Well when I first came up with the idea for these, a few people warned that what may happen is when I apply finish that as they are two different woods I may get some warping if they dry at different rates... Which I don't think will be so much of an issue...

BUT what may be an issue is if one side of the neck is stronger than the other, that when I string them up that it may twist the neck... So we wont really know if this is even a viable design until I do that.. mind you I can always just do the bodies that way and have a normal neck attached if this doesn't work but I think that will lessen the effect a bit...

So we will all see soon enough :)

I think that with the truss rod, fretboard (which is fairly thick) and frets that it will be strong enough to take it...

Well when I first came up with the idea for these, a few people warned that what may happen is when I apply finish that as they are two different woods I may get some warping if they dry at different rates... Which I don't think will be so much of an issue...

BUT what may be an issue is if one side of the neck is stronger than the other, that when I string them up that it may twist the neck... So we wont really know if this is even a viable design until I do that.. mind you I can always just do the bodies that way and have a normal neck attached if this doesn't work but I think that will lessen the effect a bit...

So we will all see soon enough :)

I think that with the truss rod, fretboard (which is fairly thick) and frets that it will be strong enough to take it...

Looking great as always Rabs.The light/dark is particularly eye catching.

I don't think you have to worry about the two woods in the neck holding under string tension so much, it would be the way the two woods react to climate change over the coarse of a year. I have some necks that hardly move through out the year and others that require minor truss rod tweaks seasonally. If one half is significantly more stable than the other thats when the trouble will start.

Of coarse just my opinion and I have zero experience to back it up.

Anyway, I'll be eagerly following along to see how it all works out.

Best of luck

Johnny

Looking great as always Rabs.The light/dark is particularly eye catching.

I don't think you have to worry about the two woods in the neck holding under string tension so much, it would be the way the two woods react to climate change over the coarse of a year. I have some necks that hardly move through out the year and others that require minor truss rod tweaks seasonally. If one half is significantly more stable than the other thats when the trouble will start.

Of coarse just my opinion and I have zero experience to back it up.

Anyway, I'll be eagerly following along to see how it all works out.

Best of luck

Johnny

Thanks for the kind words sir :)

And yes that's why these are prototypes... I guess if anyone was ever interested in one before I have tested one of these over a year I will just make sure they know whats going on... (and probably have to offer a replacement if all goes pearshaped :unsure: )

Ive never quite seen a guitar built like these but there may be good reasons yet. Who knows.. that's why we try things out :) It will be interesting finding out.

Thanks for the kind words sir :)

And yes that's why these are prototypes... I guess if anyone was ever interested in one before I have tested one of these over a year I will just make sure they know whats going on... (and probably have to offer a replacement if all goes pearshaped :unsure: )

Ive never quite seen a guitar built like these but there may be good reasons yet. Who knows.. that's why we try things out :) It will be interesting finding out.

Well if you'd like me to test drive one for a year in the harsh Canadian climate just let me know. I'd be more than willing to give you monthly reports :)

Well if you'd like me to test drive one for a year in the harsh Canadian climate just let me know. I'd be more than willing to give you monthly reports :)

Well you never know... Stranger things have been known to happen :)

:unsure: