Gibson Brands Forums

Pre 1930 L-1 Finish -- Refinished??

Pappysquat

The L-00 3/4 (and the more common Kalamazoo Sport) are interesting in that they use the same body outline found on the early Gibson tenor guitars - presumably Gibson received a few requests for a 3/4 size flat top and decided rather than design something from the ground up they would recycle the old moulds for the then discontinued tenor. I've never played one but they're really pretty little guitars.

If you look at the picture I posted earlier and imagine the tenor has a six string neck you have a pretty good guide to how the 3/4 guitars differ from the early small bodied L-1. The shape is quite different as well as the size.

Yeah thanks. I emailed him after the auction and asked some q's. Made sure everything was legit for they most part and talked him down. I also was checking those k zoo's out too. I believe they only used ladder bracing on all their models. Although you really don't need x bracing for a 3/4 but it helps.

I found a another pic of the two specials. I have owned 7-8 of this size Gibson including two Montana guitars. Two magnificent sunburst finishes on these two.

DSC02582.jpg

This small body Nick Lucas c.1928 has an original "hand rubbed finish". This guitar was H braced and a very fine sounding/playing guitar. I sold two and kept the odd duck 50s Gibson re-neck Nick Lucas.

Compare the finish on each of the guitars.

DSC04295.jpg

I really like the H bracing on L-1s: it has the snap and quick response of ladder bracing but with a little more warmth and refinement. Mine is mostly retired now but I used it for a lot of recordings when I was in my 20s and it always recorded beautifully.

Did the 30s guitar with the double rosette ever get strings on it?!

Did the 30s guitar with the double rosette ever get strings on it?!

I got that guitar 8-10 years ago? I have strung it up. It does not have a bridgeplate, never had one as far as I can tell. I have a lot of very nice vintage Gibson guitars, some just get put back. I may dig one out when I am doing a post then keep it out for some playing. I don't get them out much lately. I do want to get pictures posted and get the link out. I have many pics of my collection and other guitars I have seen. I just noticed I have an all mahogany L0 hanging on the wall in front of me. It has a variation of the H brace, It was painted red, I bought it for the beautiful condition three tier bridge like the one pictured on the Nick Lucas above.

There was a peak of information 3-4 years ago, lot of information/guitars coming out. Gibson has a complicated history with many mystery remaining. I'm forgetting some of it, and I could recite most of the details on late 20s guitars, with a special interest in the Nick Lucas Gibson Special. I sort of found out what I was looking for with help of others. Owning the guitars is the expensive part of the deal, but a lot of them got sold for a better one, a step up. I have owned/own most of the guitars I dreamed about, wished to own. lot of fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived