Gibson Brands Forums

IB'64 Texan - Return or Take it to the Luthier

Brian O

Hey guys!

Well, Here's the deal: GC is running the IB'64 Texans on Clearance (in the stores only I suppose, since online they show full price). I bought one this weekend but, it had a dead fret (High E at fret 12) but only when played with a pick, it sounded fine with my fingers. I returned it for the only other one they had in stock. No dead frets on this one, No buzzing, Sounds good to me but....i'm wondering if the neck is twisted somewhat. Here's why: I'm measuring about .011-.012 on the low E at the 7th fret relief (capo'd at fret 1 held with finger at fret 14) which seems about right. However, the high E side seems to have no clearance on the frets, no measurable relief.

So, I don't know if I should return this one and call it a day, or take it to a luthier (having to spend the money for something that may have to be returned anyway) or take it to GC's luthier (which I'm not sure I completely have faith in.)

What you guys do?

One way or another a new guitar makes its way to a luthier at least in my cases for set ups . If you have a few days let s good Luther check it out he'll tell what is best to do also it could be a saddle issue which is nothing to fix . Good luck 😊

Well even though I do all my own setups - I can't disagree with the advice here.

if it plays well and there's no buzzing or fretting out then the neck is probably not twisted. a twisted neck will usually looked bowed over on one side and bowed under on the other side. but if it concerns you then I would definitely have someone check it out.

In the last picture it does look like either the neck has a slight twist or it is the headstock that is twisted out of line. The headstock twist is more common than some think and the Epiphones with one piece necks and a long headstock seem to be subject to slight twists - My Texan has a slight twist at the head but the neck is ok. The twist looks to be down to the left as it is pictured.

Well, went back to GC this morning and let the tech there look at it. He agreed there is some "twist" in the neck or that for some reason the treble side of the neck is much less responsive to truss adjustment than the bass side. I didn't return it yet as he did a few things and said give it a day or so to see if it still bothers me. We shall see I suppose.

One way or another a new guitar makes its way to a luthier at least in my cases for set ups . If you have a few days let s good Luther check it out he'll tell what is best to do also it could be a saddle issue which is nothing to fix . Good luck 😊

This. Even though I do all my own setups as well (at least on electrics), I take all my new guitars to my luthier for a "what potential warranty issue" am I not seeing that you will, if it exists. Then a good initial setup, and I'm out the door with either a great new guitar or ammunition for a return. YMMV. BTW, unless you have a very different GC than those near me, I'm not sure I'd trust any of their "techs" opinions. Again, YMMV.

BTW, unless you have a very different GC than those near me, I'm not sure I'd trust any of their "techs" opinions. Again, YMMV.

That was my thought a well. I was quite suprised he agreed it looks twisted too. He made it better. But, here and now it's back to looking the same, and now buzzing on low E frets 7 and 9. However, fret 8 is clear is a bell. Guess it's sadly going back. I really wanted this guitar. And I may try another at full price from somewhere else.

Bad Frets & Twisted Necks on a new Guitar should be a warranty issue with Epi IMHO. I'm blessed with a great warranty station (Luthier shop hired by ALL the majors for Warranty Station work). They have helped with Epiphones, & a Gretsch and did repairs all under warranty. If fact, Gretsch wanted the Electric 5122DC back and picked out a brand new one to replace. It was EXCELLENT fit, finish, & sound.

Check into factory warranty I'd suggest.

Aster

Archived