Gibson Brands Forums

les paul studio 2009

Gibby PU Specs

My 2009 OEM PUs measure 14.6k ohm and 8.0k ohm so the specs from that link on Gibson's site is not representative across the board. They used several sets on the 2009 Studio that year and every year it seems. I still don't know which PUs I have but I ended up installing Seymore Duncan Hotrodders because I didn't like whatever came with my 2009 Studio.

Most popular in 2009 were the 496r/498t set which I thought mine were but they aren't. Dunno what the 8k ohm PU is still till this day.

Hello!

Very much likely they are 490R/498Ts.

The faded ones (which often had mahogany tops instead of the maple) had Burstbuckers, but not all of them.

490R neck pickup's DC resistance measures around 8KOhms, while 498Ts around 13-14 KOhms. Burstbuckers lower.

Cheers... Bence

Hello!

Very much likely they are 490R/498Ts.

The faded ones (which often had mahogany tops instead of the maple) had Burstbuckers, but not all of them.

490R neck pickup's DC resistance measures around 8KOhms, while 498Ts around 13-14 KOhms. Burstbuckers lower.

Cheers... Bence

Thanks for the correction Bence. I'm confusing myself with all these model numbers. You are probably right about them being 490r/498t. I think I am gong to take a Sharpie and write 490r and 498t on them.

Hello!

The 490R/498T pickups have Alnico II and V magnets. One magnet per unit.

The 496R/500T have thick ceramic magnets. Three per unit on 500T.

The 496R/500T pickups:

GibsonLesPaul91Classic1-5439064.jpg

Also note, the 500T is taller than other Gibson humbuckers.

GibsonLesPaul91Classic1-5439065.jpg

Pickups with demarkation "T" (for treble) have the pole-piece screws below the "Gibson" logo. Opposite orientation on "R" ("Rhythm") pickups. See the above picture.

Cheers... Bence

Archived