Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Salfromchatham

Acoustic Amplification Small Venue

Hey guys and gals,

I am starting to play out more, and in more places than the local open mic with the stock mediocre house PA. I am playing in a new duo - sometimes trio. We are setting up gigs in "older bars" (read bars where folks in their 30s-50s frequent). I am hoping this will be fun for me, although it is likely I may tire of playing Springsteen, Margaritaville, and Brown Eyed Girl (kind of kidding - I am hoping to play some originals and some off-beat things I enjoy playing).

My partner has a sick Bose system (the one above the L1).

I want to up my game; I have a nice Fishman Loudbox Mini that I use in my home really.

I am considering the Fishman Loudbox Artist, the Bose L1, and the Fishman Solo. These cost about $550, $1,000, and $1,000 respectively. The Bose does not have phantom power to my knowledge.

Any experience with these three? Any advice? Anything else you use?

Thanks in advance,

Sal

If you play out with the partner with the L1 system, buy a small 6 or 8 channel mixing board, feed the instruments to the board and the board output to the L1. My last band used the first generation of this Bose system (can't remember the model anymore!) for the whole band: 4 vocal mics, 2 acoustic guitars and 2 mics on the drum kit all level set at an 8 channel board and fed to the Bose. We even set the Bose "pole" behind us and it served as mains and monitors. No need to be loud in small to medium rooms...........worked like a champ and was a very simple load-in, load out.

Edit: I did own a Fishman Solo for a time and it did work quite well with a K&K pickup in the J200. A bit more prone to feedback than was the Bose system, but at least part of that might have been due to the big bodied guitar in close quarters. Very, very portable and plenty powerful. Good rig for a guitar and mic.

I bought a four channel mixer from our friends at Russo for less than $100. I plug that into my Loudbox mini and it works great. Plus, the mixer has phantom power which the mini does not so I can use my good vocal mic. I have used this set up to run open mic at the local library.

But, to answer your question, I don't have experience with those other electric things.

Rich

Hey guys and gals,

I am starting to play out more, and in more places than the local open mic with the stock mediocre house PA. I am playing in a new duo - sometimes trio. We are setting up gigs in "older bars" (read bars where folks in their 30s-50s frequent). I am hoping this will be fun for me, although it is likely I may tire of playing Springsteen, Margaritaville, and Brown Eyed Girl (kind of kidding - I am hoping to play some originals and some off-beat things I enjoy playing).

I want to up my game; I have a nice Fishman Loudbox Mini that I use in my home really.

I am considering the Fishman Loudbox Artist, the Bose L1, and the Fishman Solo. These cost about $550, $1,000, and $1,000 respectively. The Bose does not have phantom power to my knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Sal

I used the Bose system for quite a few years and it sounded fantastic as part of a Duo , now I use AER and a new Marshall acoustic soloist DI out to a PA . If I was played several gigs every week again yes the Bose L1 system would be considered great sound but you would need a mixer

Good to hear your playing out Sal, those tunes and covers of your deserve a wider audience than just the regulars on his forum.

I reckon the Bose L-1 would do the trick. A muso used to use it and it sounded great, clean as whistle, good head room, compact.

You would be upping your game with that one I reckon.

A friend has the fishman stick and loves it. Plays in similar situations that you do.

I've heard him run most of the little band through it as buc described.

Its a fantastic piece of kit .

I think the Bose may be a better version of the same thing but as someone said , there's no mixing with it , so a little mixer needs to be added in. More expense eh?

Funny enough I've been coveting such a thing myself for a while now.

Either system would be ideal for what you're after.

Thanks guys. I guess the advantage of the "sticks" is more sound dispersion? Could I do the same - small mixer into amp behind us - thing with the $550 Fishman Artist? Maybe I am thinking of much about the money, and should just get a stick and not look back. maybe.

Guess that'd be similar Sal , but yeah,sound dispersion is the point of sale on the sticks.

The amp may well sound just as good or better. Who knows eh ?

Can't you call with your pals at local store and try both?

Did you want it for just guitar, or guitars and vocals+....?

Another different option is a little A&H Zed10FX like I have - 4 mic channels plus other inputs for cd etc and lots of output options. I use this for recording at home direct to my iMac, so if the gigs fade.........

The other ingredient to my surprise package would be a decent (used) powered speaker or 2, perferably JBL but Mackie has some value!

Make a great and impressive home stereo if you get sick of going on the road [flapper]

The little mixer and a lightweight powered speaker don't take much room...

BluesKing777.

Go for it....Bose L1 model 1s with B2 bass module and a T1 tone match. [tongue]

I traded in my Fishman SOLO stick for the Bose and love it.

Go for it....Bose L1 model 1s with B2 bass module and a T1 tone match. [tongue]

I traded in my Fishman SOLO stick for the Bose and love it.

Step up from the fishman then?

Pretty penny though for all that no?

I have the Bose L1 model 2 with B1 bass module and the T1 tonematch mixer and I can't recommend it enough. As BBG says it isn't cheap but neither then again are our guitars. Once the money is spent who cares anymore what you paid. Lol!

The only reason I went with such a high end Bose is so when I do a YouTube video for the Gibson forum it sounds as good as possible because nothing is too good for my Gibson forum brothers and sisters!

Sorry you don't feel the same way Sal! Lol!

I play out about 3 times a month at small bars and use a a Fishman Soloamp for my acoustic and electric guitars and two vocals -- since we use 4 inputs I use a small mixer. I typically use another main (QSC K8) for mains on each side of us, but I have used the Soloamp by itself and it works nicely. I initially planned to buy a second QSC main, but the Fishman sounds so good that I haven't had a need to purchase a second QSC main.

You can't go wrong with either the Fishman Soloamp or the Bose L1 -- they are great units for what you need.

The only reason I went with such a high end Bose is so when I do a YouTube video for the Gibson forum it sounds as good as possible because nothing is too good for my Gibson forum brothers and sisters!

Sorry you don't feel the same way Sal! Lol!

Bwahahahahahahahaha......,

<_<

that new bose rig looks great, unfortunately at that price of $3,600... yikes..

a ~ $300 dollar pair of powered bins, and a passive mixer do tend to get the job done, considering what the places around here are willing to actually PAY you..

very nice tho...

I play a lot of small venues and now and then even an outdoor event. This works great for me. Nice effects and very compact. I used to carry around a PA but no longer. I've tried a bunch and like this one the best. I'm sure you could try it out at some guitar shop. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-AG60-Guitar-Combo-Black/dp/B001GR7K4K

amp1.jpg

amp2.jpg

amp3.jpg

Hey guys and gals,

Thanks in advance,

Sal

I have a bunch of acoustic amp options. The Bose system is nice, but I chose the Fishman Solo amp and have used mine for about 6 years now. I'm not playing out much by choice these days days, but may go back out again.

I also have am older Fishman Loudbox Performer ( black box one)and it's great, but sits low on the floor. There's no phantom power on the Solo amp, but there is on the Performer.

Personally I love the Solo amp for what it is.. It is 1000 bucks.

To tell you the truth I'd haul your buddies Bose system to a store and give the Bose and Fishman a side by side comparison. I know you can chain 2 Fishman Solo amps together, because a buddy of mine has one too and we have done just that before. The systems are different and the Fishman is a bit more directional.

If you really need Phantom Power you can buy a box to power up you mic. 50 bucks.

I just run a good ol SM 58 mic to my solo amp.

I also use a Fishman Spectra DI on my guitar. I really love this box.

I found the Bose system to have a very mid scooped sound, so if you want the Fisherman to sound simular cut the mids to taste.

I'm getting one of these free to review (and keep!): http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RBQV2XK

They are kind of ugly. :) No idea how it's going to work, but hey... it's free... And next time my neighbors are playing the radio ridiculously loudly, I can go out side with two microphones, a guitar, and this thing and "practice".

51NdVHe9cHL.jpg