Gibson Brands Forums

J-15--still popular or flavor of the month?

Jesse_Dylan

So I have scoured the internet about the J-15, particularly re: J-15 vs. J-45. I have found all kinds of weird opinions.

I have come to the conclusion that the J-15 is great, that Gibson is losing money on them, and that they are every bit as good as a J-45, just different. (This is based on internet talk though, so who knows!)

What really confuses me, is that people have gotten a J-15 and absolutely raved about it. One guy said it was the best guitar he's ever played and blew $4000 guitars out of the way. But then I look down at his signature, and it says, "J-15 (sold)". huh?? It's the best guitar he's ever played, and then a year later he's unloaded it? I saw (read) a few people who did that--raved and raved up and down about the J-15, but then it was either not in their signature or was listed in their signature as sold.

I think I will like a J-15 very much, and I don't think I'll wish I had a J-45 instead. I think they're both awesome, and I think a J-15 will make a better sibling to my Hummingbird due to the walnut vs. mahogany (not that a J-45 wouldn't be fine too). If I thought a J-45 was flat out a better guitar, I'd just buy a J-45. But, I guess part of me is just scared I will be one of these people who raves it's the best guitar on the planet and then apparently decides I don't like it 6 months later.

I think I have read almost everything there is on the entire internet about the J-15, by the way, and seen every YouTube video. :) I just wish I could find one to play, but I think I am safe buying it. (Another internet myth I've read a lot of is that Gibsons vary wildly from one to another and that some are "dogs" and some are "special." I don't think I buy any of that. Maybe in 1975, but not in 2015.)

And if anyone wants to resurrect some more J-15 vs. J-45 talk, I'm totally up for that, too, but did not want to start another thread requesting it. But trust me, I have read them all, and I still want more. :)

I've played some dogs that's for sure. That being said if I've bought new it was from someone I trusted. I'm canadian no benefit to buying new due to warranty.

Good luck to you hope you find one very soon

No warranty unless you live in the U.S.?? Does this mean if I moved to Canada, or the UK, my warranty would go bye-bye? That's kind of sad.

I still think that with some TLC, a dog becomes a cat. Er, I mean, a fantastic guitar.

I still love my J-15, and will never sell it. [thumbup]

I do think it is as good as a J-45, I consider it a walnut J-45.

my J-15 gets regular/daily play along with my J-200 and Southern Jumbo. I love them all. Maybe I'm lucky, but am delighted with my Gibsons.

I see you have enthusiasm for the J-15, me too. I would like to hear what other J-15 owners think after having them a while.

I did change the truss cover. I would like white ovals on the tuners. Probably won't change the pick guard though.

I still love my J-15, and will never sell it. [thumbup]

I do think it is as good as a J-45, I consider it a walnut J-45.

my J-15 gets regular/daily play along with my J-200 and Southern Jumbo. I love them all. Maybe I'm lucky, but am delighted with my Gibsons.

I see you have enthusiasm for the J-15, me too. I would like to hear what other J-15 owners think after having them a while.

I did change the truss cover. I would like white ovals on the tuners. Probably won't change the pick guard though.

We will have to compare notes! I am about 90% sure the J-15 is the one for me.

I like its look, probably even more than the WM-45. I just can't help myself with the batwing pick guard. Do you still have the tusq nut and saddle? I guess I can always swap the saddle back if bone causes a loss of that great woody thumpy tone they seem to have. What did you swap the truss rod cover to? If the 2016 isn't too bold, I might leave it. I hate spending $10 for a plastic truss rod cover. :P

My J-15 is 100% stock, except for the truss rod cover. It may seem silly, but I prefer the white border on the truss rod cover. Easy and cheap adjustment.

I absolutely love the "Batwing" pick guard, but probably will not change it on the J-15.

I kind of have a thing for tuners and pick guards. [thumbup]

Scouring the internet can lead to all kinds of confusion. It can be interesting, but also very confusing and misleading. My advice is to forget around 90% of all you've read about Gibsons, except for what you read in here. For one (very important) thing, pretty much everyone here who claims to own (or has owned a J15/J45) is telling you the truth. You go to other guitar forums and they'll make all kind of claims and they've never even owned a Gibson, or played one. Yet, they'll make-up a story to usually bash Gibsons, and once-in-a-while praise them. If you can't physically play the Gibson you're interested in, you can at least get a decent and honest opinion in here..........Also, you're likely choice of a J15 is excellent....And, I really doubt Gibson is losing money on them. If they couldn't build them and make a profit, they wouldn't build them. Also, keep in mind that swapping the saddle, bridge, nut, etc. sometimes makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't. Hope you get the guitar you want and need. [thumbup]

Your thread title says it all: flavor of the month. Lots of players of acoustic instruments change guitars like they change socks. What strikes one's fancy can be a fleeting, fickle thing. I suppose for some it's a "been-there, done-that" thing, for others it's eternal experimentation, seeking the holy grail that's just up ahead......somewhere. Once the new wears off of stuff it's much like the stuff you had before.....and the next stuff you'll get. I admire those that can be happy forever with a few pieces of gear and never get the wandering eye that leads such fools as myself to always be looking for the next one. I'm as guilty as anyone on that front, likely the worst of the lot of you! Pursue your flavor of the month and don't let the rest of 'em have much say in it.............. Now go spend some time with that Hummingbird you've been raving about! [thumbup]

Things I've done to my J-15

1 new locking tuners

2 New Firestripe J-45 pickguard

Things I'm going to do

1 New Bone Saddle and Nut set really high

2 Remove Element pickup and put K&k pure mini pickup with mic

3 Fret job with Stevie Ray Vaughn frets Biggest Jumbo frets made

Like in this Video I've already talked with Dan

I absolutely am thrilled with my J-15. I am coming up on a year with it and have no intentions of selling.

The only modification I've done at this point is to swap out the tuners for Schaller's vintage copper tulips.

Gibson has hit a homerun with these in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi

When I bought my J45 I played both the J45 and the J15 . In the UK the J15 received a brilliant review in Acoustic Magazine nearly five stars in all sections . During my playing of both guitars I found the J15 a wonderful guitar that I found more direct than the J45 slightly more boxey but in a good way, the playability was first class . Moving on to the J45 i like the sunburst finish and the sound seemed more mellow and deep this suited me because I play more guitar only fingerstyle music and lead lines ( I don't sing very much ) the pickup system is the same and so is the case . Both guitars in fact all the Gibson Acoustics I played were brilliant hand made guitars , the only other one I really liked was a J200 , the sound to die for just too big .

[thumbup] the only thing I don't like is the fact that Gibson advertise the make of guitar on The side of the case and also the case is VERY heavy for a really light guitar .

Yikes, this is one of those times where I leave a thread, get lots of replies, and then my OCD won't let me not reply to everything...! sorry! I will end up scaring everyone away from the topic.

My J-15 is 100% stock, except for the truss rod cover. It may seem silly, but I prefer the white border on the truss rod cover. Easy and cheap adjustment.

I absolutely love the "Batwing" pick guard, but probably will not change it on the J-15.

I kind of have a thing for tuners and pick guards. [thumbup]

Yeah, it is fun! If I weren't so non-technical (anxiety even with something as simple as removing a pickguard and inability to swap tuners unless they are "drop-in" replacements), I'd probably be more handsy, depending upon the guitar. (My Hummingbird Vintage seems like it wants to stay just as it is.)

I like the white border on the truss rod covers too! I absolutely love my Hummingbird truss rod cover. Has the white border and says HUMMINGBIRD on it. :) I wish they had one that said J-15.

Scouring the internet can lead to all kinds of confusion. It can be interesting, but also very confusing and misleading. My advice is to forget around 90% of all you've read about Gibsons, except for what you read in here. For one (very important) thing, pretty much everyone here who claims to own (or has owned a J15/J45) is telling you the truth. You go to other guitar forums and they'll make all kind of claims and they've never even owned a Gibson, or played one. Yet, they'll make-up a story to usually bash Gibsons, and once-in-a-while praise them. If you can't physically play the Gibson you're interested in, you can at least get a decent and honest opinion in here..........Also, you're likely choice of a J15 is excellent....And, I really doubt Gibson is losing money on them. If they couldn't build them and make a profit, they wouldn't build them. Also, keep in mind that swapping the saddle, bridge, nut, etc. sometimes makes a difference and sometimes it doesn't. Hope you get the guitar you want and need. [thumbup]

I have spent (wasted?) a whole lot of time fiddling around the internet, too, time I could have been playing my Hummingbird. I get obsessive about these things.

I agree--I don't think swapping the nut/saddle will change the tone much, if at all--although now I worry I'll prefer the Tusq tone. Saddles are easy to change back, but I wouldn't know how to do nuts. But in the end, I seriously doubt I'll even notice the difference.

I hope I get a chance to A/B a J-15 and J-45. I have played J-45s but never a J-15, and when you can play them both at the same time in the same room... Other than that, once I decide, I'm okay with not even playing the specific guitar first.

Your thread title says it all: flavor of the month. Lots of players of acoustic instruments change guitars like they change socks. What strikes one's fancy can be a fleeting, fickle thing. I suppose for some it's a "been-there, done-that" thing, for others it's eternal experimentation, seeking the holy grail that's just up ahead......somewhere. Once the new wears off of stuff it's much like the stuff you had before.....and the next stuff you'll get. I admire those that can be happy forever with a few pieces of gear and never get the wandering eye that leads such fools as myself to always be looking for the next one. I'm as guilty as anyone on that front, likely the worst of the lot of you! Pursue your flavor of the month and don't let the rest of 'em have much say in it.............. Now go spend some time with that Hummingbird you've been raving about! [thumbup]

Yeah, I'm scared I'm the same! I was totally gung-ho on my Martins, but I got this Hummingbird, and it's changed everything. And yes, my Hummingbird is fantastic! Every night I think I will make some recordings and swap strings and pins around, but then I end up just playing it instead and thinking how fantastic it sounds and how great it is.

I am actually eyeing a J-15 now... if not, then a J-35.

But that walnut back is gorgeous on the J-15. Hmmmm... it's gonna be one or the other, for sure.

Do you want to talk J-15 vs. J-35?? I am totally game. :P I have not played a J-15, but I have played a J-35. Loved the neck very much. In general, I felt it was a little strident in the trebles (as is the J-29--I think it's the wider X and forward-shifting on the '30s bracing pattern vs. the standard bracing on the J-45 and J-15--technically the '30s bracing should be "better," and everyone raves about vintage bracing on Martins, but I think I prefer the standard both on Martins usually and on Gibsons). That could be settled down with different choices in strings, though. I do like the Gibson 80/20s (they sound fantastic on my Hummingbird); other folks really dislike them, but I dislike PB strings and usually don't even like 80/20.

I absolutely am thrilled with my J-15. I am coming up on a year with it and have no intentions of selling.

The only modification I've done at this point is to swap out the tuners for Schaller's vintage copper tulips.

Gibson has hit a homerun with these in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

I had been thinking about maybe just getting some ivoroid buttons for the stock Grover Mini Rotomatics. I like the idea of the copper tulips, though! Were they a drop-in replacement? I am not capable otherwise. :)

Hi

When I bought my J45 I played both the J45 and the J15 . In the UK the J15 received a brilliant review in Acoustic Magazine nearly five stars in all sections . During my playing of both guitars I found the J15 a wonderful guitar that I found more direct than the J45 slightly more boxey but in a good way, the playability was first class . Moving on to the J45 i like the sunburst finish and the sound seemed more mellow and deep this suited me because I play more guitar only fingerstyle music and lead lines ( I don't sing very much ) the pickup system is the same and so is the case . Both guitars in fact all the Gibson Acoustics I played were brilliant hand made guitars , the only other one I really liked was a J200 , the sound to die for just too big .

[thumbup] the only thing I don't like is the fact that Gibson advertise the make of guitar on The side of the case and also the case is VERY heavy for a really light guitar .

You live in the UK--you should do yourself a favor and get a Hiscox Pro-II-GAD dreadnought case. They're fantastic, extremely sturdy, lighter than the Gibson cases (which I agree are tanks), and they do not say "Gibson Guitar Inside--Please Steal Me!" the way the Gibson cases do. :) They are also dirt cheap in England. You should see what we pay for the things here in the US. It's fair enough, though, because I've seen the prices you guys pay for Martin and Gibson guitars in the UK... Yikes!

I read that J-15 review on the internet. :) I think I've read about everything there is on the internet about the J-15. He seemed really confused by the maple neck. I guess he's never seen a J-200! I wish more outfits would have reviewed the J-15.

It is tough deciding between the J-15 and J-45. I'm sure if I could play both side by side, the decision would be easier. I love the sunburst, too, but I also love the look of the J-15 a lot for some reason. Difficult!

Jesse-Dylan,

The tuners were 100% drop in. Also I did not do the work myself. I had my local luthier bring them in for me and he did the install no charge except the new set of strings. This is my first Gibson. I believe a guitar should be played and play a lot, which I do.... what I don't do is work on it other than string changes..... I will monkey around with my others but I am hands off when it comes to this one.

I like the small button tuners but just did not see them on this guitar. That is personal preference. There is just something about the Gibson tulips.....

Again you cant go wrong...

Jesse-Dylan,

The tuners were 100% drop in. Also I did not do the work myself. I had my local luthier bring them in for me and he did the install no charge except the new set of strings. This is my first Gibson. I believe a guitar should be played and play a lot, which I do.... what I don't do is work on it other than string changes..... I will monkey around with my others but I am hands off when it comes to this one.

I like the small button tuners but just did not see them on this guitar. That is personal preference. There is just something about the Gibson tulips.....

Again you cant go wrong...

Thanks--yeah, I hear ya! Well, tuners is something I would fiddle with in the future. I can do really simple stuff and reckon I could even remove an L.R. Baggs Element and replace it with a Lyric, pickguard... drop-in tuners... but that is about my limit. Heck, I am not even very good at string-changing, if I'm honest. Took me 10 years to realize I wasn't leaving enough to wrap around the tuning peg--since I figured that out, I don't break strings anymore, but I sure do get way too much string wrapped around the peghead... I'd love to make a living as a luthier, but I don't know if I am even biologically capable. :)

OK Jesse - stop, take a deep breath and back away from the OCD ledge. Turn off the computer and take a break from worrying about what pickguard you would put on a guitar you do not own, where the tuners were made, whether the neck is solid or laminate, and whatever. Now go and pick up your Hummingbird and play the hell out of it.

• Like 1

OK Jesse - stop, take a deep breath and back away from the OCD ledge. Turn off the computer and take a break from worrying about what pickguard you would put on a guitar you do not own, where the tuners were made, whether the neck is solid or laminate, and whatever. Now go and pick up your Hummingbird and play the hell out of it.

Yes--it is not about the tuners!

Just had a nice hour or so of solid, non-productive, very nice noodling with the Hummingbird. That feels better. Now for some yard work and some fiddling and OCD over strings and pins. :)

There are many different brands but here is how they work

I know these are not traditional but I like them for ease of changing strings

Seems like he is cutting the strings really short. Won't that cause breakage at the tuners, or is that not a problem with locking tuners? (I used to break strings constantly because I had them too short at the tuner. Now I wrap them around for about ten years... opposite issue... but no more breaks...)

Seems like he is cutting the strings really short. Won't that cause breakage at the tuners, or is that not a problem with locking tuners? (I used to break strings constantly because I had them too short at the tuner. Now I wrap them around for about ten years... opposite issue... but no more breaks...)

Not at all, I think the shorter the better...there is a pin that locks onto the string that holds it in place not the winding wrapped around the tuner that hold the string in place

Not at all, I think the shorter the better...there is a pin that locks onto the string that holds it in place not the winding wrapped around the tuner that hold the string in place

Might need to figure out what the drop in replacements are and give some of these a try, to compensate for my lack of string changing ability if nothing else...

• 1 month later...