Gibson Brands Forums

J-15--still popular or flavor of the month?

Jesse_Dylan

I was actually just about to post a very late NGD thread for my J-15. :) It was "born" April, 2014, but I've had it a couple months now, new old stock!

I always considered NOS to be five-ten years old. Its just 2015 now...a 2014 is just a new guitar. My J200 Jr was also born in 2014 but its just new.

I hope they keep the J-15 even though i can imagine that it might lose money at that price point.

It does sound a lot like a J-45, much more than a J-35. It has that evolving, bear hug tone unlike the projective J-35 and I find it significantly superior to that model.

The walnut was a killer choice for tonewood and it should take pride in any stable. The one I played in London sounded better than the Collings CJ next to it and 4 times the price tag.

Can imagine it in my stable for sure, and would not kick it out of bed if she farted ...

I've had one since March this year and gigged it quite a lot. Great tone and its opening up more and more. No problems with nose diving when standing up. I'm surprised Gibson have not put the price of these up. Here in Canada the J35 is close now to $2000Cdn, it started at $1500. The J15 is now around $1700. Personally I prefer the 15 over the 35. But I love all Gibson acoustics so who am I kidding!

Henry is not going to let one penny slip from his pocket.

Just got a J-15 last week. I have 2 Martins (one being the legendary D-28) and it ain't a Martin, but it is a fabulous guitar, and for the price I would recommend it to anyone. I have been playing it non stop since getting it. I would also recommend for the price an Martin D-15 American made and it is killer.

Yeah, I wonder about Henry. It's possible it's sold at a break-even price in order to lure folks into the Gibson flock. Or maybe we're drinking the kool-aid and they are actually making money on it.

I've had quite a few Martins, and I found it stands side by side with them, including a pre-2012 D-18 and a D-28 standard. After getting my Hummingbird and J-15, I sold my D-18 and D-28. Great guitars. I still have my Martin M-36 and 7-28, though, and will not part with them. Just different guitars, not better or worse. In a bluegrass jam, I'd want the D-18 or D-28, not the J-15, but I think the J-15 could hack it, too. Singing in my living room, I want the J-15 or Hummingbird. I do sometimes miss being able to throw in a well-timed, extremely aggressive strum and knock people over across the parking lot, but on the other hand, I sing a bit more quietly with a Gibson because I'm not drowned out otherwise.

I always considered NOS to be five-ten years old. Its just 2015 now...a 2014 is just a new guitar. My J200 Jr was also born in 2014 but its just new.

Not only that, but Gibson always names things a year ahead, so my Hummingbird 2016 is actually from the future, and my "last year" 2014 is actually a 2015! No, but seriously, I got a New Old Stock price on it. The new ones were a few hundred more, and the J-15 is one of the few that were spared the Gibson price increase, oh I mean value added tax.

I hope they keep the J-15 even though i can imagine that it might lose money at that price point.

It does sound a lot like a J-45, much more than a J-35. It has that evolving, bear hug tone unlike the projective J-35 and I find it significantly superior to that model.

The walnut was a killer choice for tonewood and it should take pride in any stable. The one I played in London sounded better than the Collings CJ next to it and 4 times the price tag.

Can imagine it in my stable for sure, and would not kick it out of bed if she farted ...

I totally agree. It is like a J-45, just different. (I suppose one could say that about the J-35, too, but you know what I mean.) Considering the price difference between it and my Bird, you'd think I wouldn't even play the J-15, but that's not the case, and one can't always tell a lot by price difference. I also think I just prefer the "modern" J-45 bracing, which is what the J-15 has. Even on the J-45 Vintage, I think that wider bracing makes it a little too strident.

Is the maple neck heavy? I would worry about it nose diving on a strap.

It is a heavy guitar overall. I think walnut is a heavier wood, like rosewood. I haven't weighed my Hummingbird or my J-15, but the J-15 is significantly heavier. I don't think it would have any worse nose-dive issues than anything else, though. The neck feels really solid, but I don't know if it feels heavy.

I've had one since March this year and gigged it quite a lot. Great tone and its opening up more and more. No problems with nose diving when standing up. I'm surprised Gibson have not put the price of these up. Here in Canada the J35 is close now to $2000Cdn, it started at $1500. The J15 is now around $1700. Personally I prefer the 15 over the 35. But I love all Gibson acoustics so who am I kidding!

Yikes. Is this a Gibson thing, or is it just currency fluctuation?

Still 1499 in The U.S. Maybe they're still selling 2015s and the price will jump when they start with the new model year..........The J15 is the equal of most any guitars around. I have no idea what Gibson's plans for it are. They might build it for a few years, then put the design "on the shelf" for a while, then a ten years from now make another run and give it an Adi top. Who knows? Anyway, it's far more than a "nice" guitar. Like any other top notch guitar, it can be a lifetime instrument.........No issues with this guitar. It's a gentle howitzer.

Still 1499 in The U.S. Maybe they're still selling 2015s and the price will jump when they start with the new model year..........The J15 is the equal of most any guitars around. I have no idea what Gibson's plans for it are. They might build it for a few years, then put the design "on the shelf" for a while, then a ten years from now make another run and give it an Adi top. Who knows? Anyway, it's far more than a "nice" guitar. Like any other top notch guitar, it can be a lifetime instrument.........No issues with this guitar. It's a gentle howitzer.

Yep, any person who starts playing now, or last year, and ends up with a J-15 for their first good guitar and keeps playing, will have a fine lifetime instrument indeed. I really wish I'd done more homework when I started out and got something like a J-15, but frankly, I don't think there was anything this good in such a price bracket at that time. (A WM-45 would have been nice, though! Not sure what they went for back then, but whatever it was, with inflation, is likely more than the $1100 I got this J-15 for.)

The J15 is now around $1700.

Yikes. Is this a Gibson thing, or is it just currency fluctuation?

At current exchange rates $1700 Canadian equals $1305 US. Sweetwater currently sells the J-15 for $1500 here. I would say you Canadians are getting a pretty good deal, eh? ;)

At current exchange rates $1700 Canadian equals $1305 US. Sweetwater currently sells the J-15 for $1500 here. I would say you Canadians are getting a pretty good deal, eh? ;)

Oh! For some reason I thought the Canadian dollar was up on the USD. Don't know why I thought that. Do you get a lifetime warranty in Canada? Maybe that's how it's technically cheaper.

Maybe I should drive up to Canada to buy my SJ. On second thought, I don't think I want to drive up to Canada in December.

1444771652[/url]' post='1702451']

Yep, any person who starts playing now, or last year, and ends up with a J-15 for their first good guitar and keeps playing, will have a fine lifetime instrument indeed. I really wish I'd done more homework when I started out and got something like a J-15, but frankly, I don't think there was anything this good in such a price bracket at that time. (A WM-45 would have been nice, though! Not sure what they went for back then, but whatever it was, with inflation, is likely more than the $1100 I got this J-15 for.)

Just looked on line at my local dealer £1099 for the J15 2016 . Wish we had access to such a great instrument when we started out . Just imagine a new J15 , access to all the great You Tube lessons , what a great time to take up the acoustic guitar as you rightly say it's an ideal guitar for a lifetime

From a marketing perspective its all about growing penetration. Or in other words how to bring new customers constantly to try and purchase the Gibson brand, keeping in mind others might drop out. So its an ongoing process of recruitment and the idea is that you recruit more than you lose.

The J-15 is specifically created to drive penetration. You have a high quality product at a very attractive price point, and together with the J-35 they have done the intended job, in driving penetration of Gibson acoustics within the category.

The reason why I write this is that I doubt that they would stop the J-15 down the line as it has a specific job to do, but they may increase the price so that it still drives penetration but as its reputation grows they will increase the price to at least break even on it.

Thats why most business have a porfolio of products, they all play different roles. Some are specifically to drive penetration, others are cash cows, others need to be nurtured. Most business will accept a loss leader if it will help them to ensure that the profitable line will continue to milk the profits with its higher margin.

OK, enough of my dayjob talk, ill put the cowboy shirt back on now ...

I apologise if I'm a bore because I've told this story before on those forums, but I'll tell it again anyway because it seems relevant.

Last year whilst visiting the U.S I had the opportunity to visit the Gibson Memphis factory and whilst there I had the chance to play as many guitars as I could get my hands on in the showroom (as one would, wouldn't you).

I picked up a J-15 and it sounded fantastic, even my wife passed comment on how it sounded (to her a guitar's, a guitar's a guitar). at that point I hadn't looked at the price tag but when I did, I was shocked to find it was the cheapest one they had.

When I got back to the U.K, I started looking round for a J-15. Interestingly I played one in a local shop and didn't like it at all. Two weeks later, I played the same guitar and it was far far better.

When I did find one that I wanted, I was tempted by a very nice J-45. It's not that the J-45 was better, just different, a more mellow sound whereas I find the J-15 to be a little more bright.

I also played j-35's and J-29's but unfortunately they didn't come close to the J-15 & J-45 in my opinion. It was a hard choice, but as I was looking for a J-15 I decided to stick with that (if I could have afforded to, I would have had both!).

All the B/S on other forums about Gibson quality is jut that, B/S, I don't know why people feel the need to knock Gibson, maybe it's jealousy? I certainly won't be selling my J-15.

Enjoy your new guitar,

Ian

Oh! For some reason I thought the Canadian dollar was up on the USD. Don't know why I thought that. Do you get a lifetime warranty in Canada? Maybe that's how it's technically cheaper.

Maybe I should drive up to Canada to buy my SJ. On second thought, I don't think I want to drive up to Canada in December.

He's being sarcastic there Jesse_Dylan. I wouldn't advise coming up here to buy a Guitar! Current exchange rate based on Sweetwaters $1500 US would be $1950 + shipping + 13% (Ontario). Not the best time to buy a Gibson in Canada. Oh and no warranty from Gibson here in Canada. It's the distributor, Yorkville who give a years Warranty.

I think people are still loving these and they really are a killer deal if you like how they sound. I think they are absolutely gorgeous, but could never get into how they sound. A bit too harsh and forward and a bit strident for me compared to the J45, and still prefer my J45.I think the J15 is best suited for a full band setting, while the J45 is king as a singer/songwriter/solo type of guitar, but obviously this is a very huge generalization. I have no regrets spending the extra cash for the J45, and demo'd severalJ15's at the same time I was checking out J45's at Wildwood Guitars. I'm not knocking the J15 at all, it just isn't the sound I'm looking for, but I wish it was because I really love the look of the walnut and maple combo. FWIW, I think the J15's are way more consistent in how they sound from one J15 to another compared to other Gibson acoustic offerings.

[i dont know, they sounded quite close to my ears. Maybe the J-15 wasnt as refined as its bigger sibling, but i thought there was a lot of cross over. Much more than the J-35 which has the same top and back / sides wood ... albeit different bracing.

quote name=FZ Fan' timestamp='1444907655' post='1702860]

Of course the J-15 is going to sound different that a J-45 it is made from almost totally different woods. The J-15 has a Sitka Spruce top, Walnut back and sides, Maple neck and a Walnut fretboard. A J-45 has a Sitka Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides, a Mahogany neck and a Rosewood fretboard. Its like comparing a lemon to a lime. Except for the Top they are totally different.

For myself, they all have one very important and very similar quality in regards to sound. They all sound great. I typically don't have to wonder which guitar to take to a gig. All my Gibsons fit the music I like to play. Whether or not I take my J45 or J15 isn't the issue. It mostly depends on what guitar I used at my last gig. If it's been a couple weeks since a guitar was used at a gig, chances are it's coming with me that night. If it's time for "the bird," I take it. At home I pretty much play them all every 2-3 days. All the tone woods have their own sound if one listens to them carefully, but usually I'm just playing them and enjoying the sound. Besides, most folks in an audience couldn't care less what guitar you and I are playing.

Of course the J-15 is going to sound different that a J-45 it is made from almost totally different woods. The J-15 has a Sitka Spruce top, Walnut back and sides, Maple neck and a Walnut fretboard. A J-45 has a Sitka Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides, a Mahogany neck and a Rosewood fretboard. Its like comparing a lemon to a lime. Except for the Top they are totally different.

And where in my post was I perplexed why they sound different? Sounds like someone took my comments a little to personally! All I did was given my take on the differences between the two models. Never trashed the J15. Just stated i preferred the J45 with reasons why I think that way. I'm also well aware of the different woods used in each guitar's construction! Calm down, tiger!

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, RCMarks said:

Finally got my J15 about 2 weeks ago. Love the hell out of it. What's the difference in BUILD and overall quality btwn the J15 and the J45?

J-15 is made of walnut back and sides and J-45 is hog back and sides. The necks are made of different woods too, J-15 is maple and the J-45 is hog. That is all I know the experts can tell you more. I'm sure they are giving the J-45 more attention than the J-15 due to the $700 or so price difference.

Why is the J-15 with a natural top $150 more that the same model that is painted?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I played a J15 a while back and loved it. It was a great guitar. I just got a Hummingbird though and that's my bucket list guitar. Had they not sold the J15 a couple years ago when it was on clearance for $1100, it would have been mine.

18 hours ago, MichaelT said:

I played a J15 a while back and loved it. It was a great guitar. I just got a Hummingbird though and that's my bucket list guitar. Had they not sold the J15 a couple years ago when it was on clearance for $1100, it would have been mine.

I bought a used '14 for $950 sold it about 4 months later for $900.  I played one in a GC that I liked, but the one I had did nothing for me. That one in GC was brand new at $1299. Guess I should have gotten that one. I would probably still have it.

Here is the J-15 I had.

http://cehZ9xH.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Still a happy owner.   Pickguard and tuners will be changed eventually, but this guitar is staying with me till it can't play no more. 

I'll bet Gibson will keep it in their lineup until others start bringing out similar walnut/maple neck slope shoulder dreads to compete with it. 

Edited by Russell Davis

Played a few J 15s.....wonderful guitars and might end up with one.  Remember, your string selection will make an impact on the guitars sound.  Lots of strings to consider and you might need to research .  For the $$, the J15 is a solid buy, easy choice.  Good luck and play on!

2 hours ago, Proclaimer888 said:

Played a few J 15s.....wonderful guitars and might end up with one.  Remember, your string selection will make an impact on the guitars sound.  Lots of strings to consider and you might need to research .  For the $$, the J15 is a solid buy, easy choice.  Good luck and play on!

It is nice to see Gibson has some acoustics's under 2k.