Gibson Brands Forums

J-15--still popular or flavor of the month?

Jesse_Dylan

Based on my personal experience, my only comments are that I've played and compared the sound of the j15, j45 and Eastman E10ss guitars during multiple visits to an excellent music store here in Toronto, and of the three I least liked the j15.

It's sound seemed dull and flat compared to the other two guitars.

Again in my limited and relatively unsophisticated experience, I prefer the sound of spruce/rosewood, and spruce/mahogany guitars over that of spruce/walnut instruments.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

8 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Based on my personal experience, my only comments are that I've played and compared the sound of the j15, j45 and Eastman E10ss guitars during multiple visits to an excellent music store here in Toronto, and of the three I least liked the j15.

It's sound seemed dull and flat compared to the other two guitars.

Again in my limited and relatively unsophisticated experience, I prefer the sound of spruce/rosewood, and spruce/mahogany guitars over spruce/walnut instruments.

RBSinTo

I wouldn't have sold mine after 4 months if it was that stellar. I don't get walnut as a tone wood. It does nothing for me.

I a huge fan of the J-15. Had mine for a while, it's a 2017 bought new.

My J-45 is Rosewood and ebony, a blend that no man should be without.  I simply had a wall full of electrics and wanted a backup to noodle on, to save the frets on my J-45.

Enter the mighty J-15.

I love walnut, have owned a 1979 walnut SG for many decades and used it on the Double Aught cd in 1998. A powerful guitar.

My J-15 has a much faster neck than my J-45, and I love the maple with a walnut stripe. The walnut body gives it a snappier tone than the Rosewood. If the J-45 sounds like a Rolls Royce, then the J-15 sounds more like a Dodge Charger Hellcat. It's a leaner, meaner, growly and fast machine built for speed. Uncoated strings and a Bluechip with a speed bevel.

Get outa town.

Love it!