Gibson Brands Forums

TC Electronics "Play Acoustic"

BluesKing777

BK... I just tried my DiMarzio DP36 cheapo soundhole passive pickup through the Aura Spectrum. It sounds great!

I will always bring it with me as a backup, instead of a backup guitar.

I also just bought a pedal board yesterday... So check this out. Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. TC Body Rez. TC Harmony SInger. I was all ready to send back the Body Rez.... but I am going to give it more time. It is making the LG2 sound better for sure.

They are all powered by the VooDoo thing underneath. No batteries. Yank this out of the case. Plug into the wall. Plug into Amp/PA. Done. I like that! I also got a gig bag which makes hauling a guitar a lot easier. It sucks parking 3 blocks away from a place, and having to make several trips to the car to carry guitar, mic stand, music stand, guitar stand, cord bag, Effects bag.... when your back is out. The gig bag fits so much crap in it!

IMG_2915_zpsockhniki.jpg

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BK... I just tried my DiMarzio DP36 cheapo soundhole passive pickup through the Aura Spectrum. It sounds great!

I will always bring it with me as a backup, instead of a backup guitar.

I also just bought a pedal board yesterday... So check this out. Fishman Aura Spectrum DI. TC Body Rez. TC Harmony SInger. I was all ready to send back the Body Rez.... but I am going to give it more time. It is making the LG2 sound better for sure.

They are all powered by the VooDoo thing underneath. No batteries. Yank this out of the case. Plug into the wall. Plug into Amp/PA. Done. I like that! I also got a gig bag which makes hauling a guitar a lot easier. It sucks parking 3 blocks away from a place, and having to make several trips to the car to carry guitar, mic stand, music stand, guitar stand, cord bag, Effects bag.... when your back is out. The gig bag fits so much crap in it!

IMG_2915_zpsockhniki.jpg

Beautiful!!!

Tip for the traveller - grab a blank page and draw a large pic of your board in black ink and in fat red ink, put the settings you have worked on/with. Otherwise things get moved/forgotten over the weeks and journey and your sound is gone!

I have been downloading Aura images - as you see, they don't have all you want but I got a couple of good ones.

Does Keef park 3 blocks away?

BluesKing777.

I wonder if a Body Rez would make my Lyric sound better or if it's not meant to be used with mics. I like the Lyric just fine, and it's simple as simple can be, but it still doesn't sound as good to me as an SM57. Doesn't have the same resonance as an external mic, and it really focused on the soundboard. I want to hear that walnut too! Not that a Body Rez will hear the walnut but maybe it could fake it a little.

I have ordered one of these also. Should be here Thursday.

I hope I can figure it out.

Congrats! what fun!

My tip for easy start - Just use Preset 1 for a while after getting your mic and guitar plugged in. Nice, simple guitar and vocal sound and you stomp the HIT button for the harmonies.

It can be easy to get lost in all the electronica!

BluesKing777.

Me and my gadgets again!

The TC Play Acoustic adds the harmonies to your mic'd vocal by 2 methods - setting the key in Setup (have to change for every song though) or the one I use - by sensing the chords you are playing on the guitar. Very clever... :mellow:

My previous test recordings have been setup in the Out file as vocal/guitar Stereo Out, but you can change those options to Mono to your amp, mono guitar and mono vocal to a PA or recorder and other tricks with USB.

But if I want to have just a guitar mic'd and leave the guitar out of the TC, harmony machine gets scared and confused as it goes by he guitar plugged in... [thumbdn]

So I experimented with my 4 track mixer by adding my Neumann mic on the guitar to the TC Out signal of electrified acoustic guitar in mono and vocal in mono - 3 mixer tracks and a spare for...??? - keeping the electrified guitar going to keep the harmonies in key!

But I can also mute the TC out guitar track on my mixer, and just have mic'd guitar with the vocal and harmonies from the TC......to the recorder maybe - next experiment! [rolleyes] All fun, but leads everywhere but.....

Make sense, acousticas?

BluesKing777.

Me and my gadgets again!

The TC Play Acoustic adds the harmonies to your mic'd vocal by 2 methods - setting the key in Setup (have to change for every song though) or the one I use - by sensing the chords you are playing on the guitar. Very clever... :mellow:

My previous test recordings have been setup in the Out file as vocal/guitar Stereo Out, but you can change those options to Mono to your amp, mono guitar and mono vocal to a PA or recorder and other tricks with USB.

But if I want to have just a guitar mic'd and leave the guitar out of the TC, harmony machine gets scared and confused as it goes by he guitar plugged in... [thumbdn]

So I experimented with my 4 track mixer by adding my Neumann mic on the guitar to the TC Out signal of electrified acoustic guitar in mono and vocal in mono - 3 mixer tracks and a spare for...??? - keeping the electrified guitar going to keep the harmonies in key!

But I can also mute the TC out guitar track on my mixer, and just have mic'd guitar with the vocal and harmonies from the TC......to the recorder maybe - next experiment! [rolleyes] All fun, but leads everywhere but.....

Make sense, acousticas?

BluesKing777.

Aha!

I have tricked HAL into blowing up his own spaceship and I have beat the computer at chess!

I did a few recordings like I said I would - plug acoustic electric in to the TC to trick it to harmonize my vocal but muted it at my mixer while I recorded my guitar with my Neumann mic. Works.....

Only complaint is the vocal effects aren't in nice, wide stereo - in mono they are a touch plain.

BluesKing777.

It just occurred to me that I could probably plug in my guitar, run the TC in stereo for the wider effects, turn the guitar down a lot, mic the guitar in to the mixer a touch louder to hide the electric sound...hit record.

I have had enough brain drain for now - will try it tomorrow.

BluesKing777.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive totally missed this thread when it was running, but now took a closer look and very interested in the product.

I currently use a G3 effects unit for volume boost, chorus, reverb and delay, plus the GXT for voice filling and harmonies.

But this box would do both jobs in one package, which is pretty appealing. Also my GXT is playing up quite a bit. Was signing the JC version of Personal Jesus and then suddenly it went all mental and I started sounding like the Marilyn Manson Personal Jesus version ..

From what I heard in the vids the harmony quality is getting better but you really got to get the levels right or it sounds way over the top and unatural, but like on the GXT its just a matter of fiddling with the settings.

And the Fishman Aura is a must. The UST quack was consistently dreadful in all the vids that I looked at.

BK - how are the guitar effects ? The vids dont really go that much into that aspect, focus more on the vocal harmonies. Is there the following:

1) Chorus

2( Reverb

3) Delay

4) Volume Boost (for when playing lead)

Its also great that it has a looper although the G3 had that also.

Im quite tempted, maybe will put it under the Xmas tree. For a regular bar player like me who needs all the help with vocal technology it could be a real help. I understand i will need to fiddle with it quite a bit at first to get my head around it but it sounds like its worth it.

Ive totally missed this thread when it was running, but now took a closer look and very interested in the product.

I currently use a G3 effects unit for volume boost, chorus, reverb and delay, plus the GXT for voice filling and harmonies.

But this box would do both jobs in one package, which is pretty appealing. Also my GXT is playing up quite a bit. Was signing the JC version of Personal Jesus and then suddenly it went all mental and I started sounding like the Marilyn Manson Personal Jesus version ..

From what I heard in the vids the harmony quality is getting better but you really got to get the levels right or it sounds way over the top and unatural, but like on the GXT its just a matter of fiddling with the settings.

And the Fishman Aura is a must. The UST quack was consistently dreadful in all the vids that I looked at.

BK - how are the guitar effects ? The vids dont really go that much into that aspect, focus more on the vocal harmonies. Is there the following:

1) Chorus

2( Reverb

3) Delay

4) Volume Boost (for when playing lead)

Its also great that it has a looper although the G3 had that also.

Im quite tempted, maybe will put it under the Xmas tree. For a regular bar player like me who needs all the help with vocal technology it could be a real help. I understand i will need to fiddle with it quite a bit at first to get my head around it but it sounds like its worth it.

The TC H PA has most of the effects you ask about, but the boost needs to reconfigure the Hit button and then you won't have that button to use the harmonies in a chorus.

Some details in here:

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/play-acoustic/

I only use the vocal effects - I have the guitar effects off except for a 'room' reverb and don't need the 'body rez' when using the Aura. Basically it is a cut down version of the Voice Live for electric guitarist vocalists - they assume we are dopier...I mean..prefer less effects. But just using the various vocal presets gives basic needs like reverb, delay, compression and all the things a good soundie would do to get your voice above the normal. You set the guitar effects separately and it stays static as you go through all the vocal presets. Good idea, but some complain. But connect it to a pedal board if.....

If you are thinking of using it while the other singer in your duo is just going 'plain', he won't be happy!

BluesKing777.

I should point out that if you have a great sound engineer or know the gear yourself, you just wouldn't bother with all this junk - you would just take your trusty acoustic and launch in to your tunes blissfully unaware of the technicalities going on around you!!! [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK. Ill investigate it a bit more and might purchase it to have a fiddle and if not a signfiant improvement over my current set up will send it back within the 30 day window.

The TC H PA has most of the effects you ask about, but the boost needs to reconfigure the Hit button and then you won't have that button to use the harmonies in a chorus.

Some details in here:

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/play-acoustic/

I only use the vocal effects - I have the guitar effects off except for a 'room' reverb and don't need the 'body rez' when using the Aura. Basically it is a cut down version of the Voice Live for electric guitarist vocalists - they assume we are dopier...I mean..prefer less effects. But just using the various vocal presets gives basic needs like reverb, delay, compression and all the things a good soundie would do to get your voice above the normal. You set the guitar effects separately and it stays static as you go through all the vocal presets. Good idea, but some complain. But connect it to a pedal board if.....

If you are thinking of using it while the other singer in your duo is just going 'plain', he won't be happy!

BluesKing777.

• 1 month later...

This could be interesting for some of you guys:

This is the recording of our Praise and worship this Sunday. Skip to the Min. 4:30. I was using the following:

Vocals: Blue encore 200> TC Play Acoustic (I don't use the harmonies, I use the hit button for a delay sometimes)

Guitar: 1st song:2006 Hummingbird> Lr Baggs lyric> Mooer yellow comp> Strymon El Capistan> Strymon Blue Sky> TC Play Acoustic (Body Rez off, it doesn't work with the lyric)

For the songs 2,3 and 4 I used my J150 with Lyric System,the rest is the hummingbird again.

https://soundcloud.com/casa-de-oracion-houston/alabanza-6-de-diciembre-2015-david-guevara

That sounded GREAT man. Wonderful harmonies, melodies and musicianship between all of you. I wonder how much was the TC Play Acoustic and how much was your own talent.

Really enjoyed the funky stuff too, might have to visit a local church to see what goes down here on Sunday mornings

I have a new playing partner from Venezuela and Ive been learning Latin tunes from the like of Juanes and the like, really great fun and gets the foot tapping.

Im getting the Play Acoustic for Xmas, so will be keen to give it ago.

Thanks a lot for sharing and keep up the great tunes, dont hesitate to pot some of your stuff here, really enjoyed that !

This is the recording of our Praise and worship this Sunday. Skip to the Min. 4:30. I was using the following:

Vocals: Blue encore 200> TC Play Acoustic (I don't use the harmonies, I use the hit button for a delay sometimes)

Guitar: 1st song:2006 Hummingbird> Lr Baggs lyric> Mooer yellow comp> Strymon El Capistan> Strymon Blue Sky> TC Play Acoustic (Body Rez off, it doesn't work with the lyric)

For the songs 2,3 and 4 I used my J150 with Lyric System,the rest is the hummingbird again.

https://soundcloud.com/casa-de-oracion-houston/alabanza-6-de-diciembre-2015-david-guevara

Sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing this with us.

That sounded GREAT man. Wonderful harmonies, melodies and musicianship between all of you. I wonder how much was the TC Play Acoustic and how much was your own talent.

Really enjoyed the funky stuff too, might have to visit a local church to see what goes down here on Sunday mornings

I have a new playing partner from Venezuela and Ive been learning Latin tunes from the like of Juanes and the like, really great fun and gets the foot tapping.

Im getting the Play Acoustic for Xmas, so will be keen to give it ago.

Thanks a lot for sharing and keep up the great tunes, dont hesitate to pot some of your stuff here, really enjoyed that !

Thanks for listening! God blessed us with talented people who loves Him. Guitar, Keyboard and Cajon and 3 background vocals.

Archived