Gibson Brands Forums

Henry Kaiser

C-RAM

The man is an enigma - I have been aware of him since the early 80s (a 'friend' turned me onto a recording with Fred Frith - I still haven't forgiven him for that).

All at once, he can make me laugh until tears fill my eyes and my belly aches, he can make my head hurt, he makes me question my own sanity and ability to reason.

Confoundingly, he hangs with some people I greatly admire and respect.

He is inscrutable, unfathomable - I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU DO, Henry!! :-s8-[:-k

I heard about him - very rich and has an amazing collection of guitars and amps and many influential friends.

So I bought an album called "Marrying For Money" and didn't enjoy it or get a satisfying listening experience. Sold.

Some years later I found the "Yo Miles" CDs (there are 3) and bought one of them, "Sky Garden". OK, good soloists but again not that satisfying - sold.

What could you recommend?

Giving him a wide berth.

Yes. I think so.

Now I remember a story about Kaiser meeting Captain Beefheart and saying to him he would like to do a tribute...Beefheart/Van Vliet seemed to indicate assent so Kaiser went ahead (with John French) and later sent the Captain a copy of the completed track...however Van Vliet was enraged "That's MY drumbeat!!!!" and so on, evidently having forgotten whatever he originally said to the hapless Henry.....

The grandaddy of this stuff was English "free jazz" guitarist Derek Bailey who near the end of his career made tracks with Bill Laswell on bass and Tony Williams on drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hKLdGq58QE

Archived