Gibson Brands Forums

2016 SJ-100 Walnut!

Jesse_Dylan

Sure are a lot of interesting 2016 models, and I think this one might actually be the most interesting, "a more affordable SJ" with walnut back and sides, a really cool-looking mahogany neck (what did they do to it?), an AMAZING headstock (again--what happened?), fretboard and bridge of another type of wood I've never heard of... And I bet it sounds fantastic.

1_Full_Straight_Front_14515-99580453b9f8d260761919d37828220c.jpg

I kind of wish it was cherry sunburst, and I miss the poinsettia pickguard... but I doubt I'd miss it for long. Sure hope they keep making stuff like this (and this one in particular... and maybe a J-185 walnut...) Hope I get to try one someday!

Personally, I've found the tone of jumbo Gibsons to be all over the map, especially given all the variations in materials over the years. Mine has a maple body & mahogany neck, but I've also owned all maple & all mahogany. Now a new combo comes along, so we'll see how this one literally plays out.

Therefore, I'd make no assumptions about the tone, but trying it out in person would be fun & educational !

Nice guitar, hate those tuners

I'm glad I don't hate them, because they are on half or more of the nice guitars getting made today it seems like, and they don't seem particularly easy to replace from what I can tell (I've had them on many guitars and have entertained replacement a few times but never found a drop-in that I liked really)--not that I mind them.

I have played one. not overly bass heavy like you might think due to size. I think the walnut makes it more balanced. beautiful guitar though.

Would you say it's less bassy than the spruce/maple SJ-200 then? As someone else said above, I too have sure found Gibson jumbos and even "small" jumbos (oxymoron) to be kind of over the map. Wish I got to play them more! The ones I've heard on youtube (heh) all sound great to me in walnut, and I am never that impressed by recordings of the maple ones, but I seem to like maple on other things (played a maple Hummingbird that was just fantastic.......

From the Gibson website - it does describe the picture as Honeyburst but then lists Yellow, Brown and Cherry [confused]

see link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/SJ-100-Walnut.aspx

Honeyburst Color Code: HB Surface Texture: Smooth/ Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer Sealer: 1-1.5 mils Top: SNBST YELLOW / ANY0033, TBCO BROWN / NAB0531, CHERRY / NAR0121 Top Coat: Smooth/ Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer Scraped: Fingerboard Sides and Nut

From the Gibson website - it does describe the picture as Honeyburst but then lists Yellow, Brown and Cherry [confused]

see link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/SJ-100-Walnut.aspx

Honeyburst Color Code: HB Surface Texture: Smooth/ Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer Sealer: 1-1.5 mils Top: SNBST YELLOW / ANY0033, TBCO BROWN / NAB0531, CHERRY / NAR0121 Top Coat: Smooth/ Hi Gloss 90 Sheen Lacquer Scraped: Fingerboard Sides and Nut

Yeah I have never understood that. I think those are the components that make up the honey burst, not options?? I'm used to them listing options over on the right if there are any, but who knows! If it could be had in cherry sunburst wow! Maybe someone can explain all that to us.

I would love to try one of these. I always thought the walnut j 15's reminded me of maple more so than hog or rosewood. I think they look way better than the 1941 model that was out. Also if they aren't going to use the pretty flame maple like on the j 200 studio, they might as well use walnut or something else.

E.M. Shorts (first-class operation, Mom and Pop brick and mortar store in Wichita, KS) have two of the SJ-100 2016 Walnuts in stock for $2199 or something like that (am I allowed to say that?). Lance, their guitar guy, says they sound great.

I'm dying for videos of these, or reviews, anything. I hope Gibson keeps making them post-2016.

• 4 years later...

I own one it is fantastic sounds great very balanced warm but not dull, look simple and beautiful. Those who know how difficult it is to find a good J200( each one sounds different)  will welcome one of these, sounds great straight out of the box.  Get one if you can you will not be disappointed. Mine is a keeper, has that Gibson big full sound that I always wanted in my collection .

• 5 months later...

I have the 2016 J100 Walnut. A real Beauty! However, I changed the tuners to Gold, it really dresses it up with the wood headstock and the colour of the guitar itself.. The only problem I am having is the pickguard. It keeps lifting, as does my 2016 Hummingbird Standard. Does anyone know if this is covered under Warranty? Many people are having the same problem.

They say the colour is Honey Burst, but I would say more of a Walnut Burst. I have the Hummingbird 12 string Honey Burst Custom Shop and it is a completely different colour than the J100

BUT, it is a Beauty and sounds so good and even across the board. LOVE IT!!!!!! Not bassy like Mahogany

18 hours ago, misterbruce said:

I have the 2016 J100 Walnut. A real Beauty! However, I changed the tuners to Gold, it really dresses it up with the wood headstock and the colour of the guitar itself.. The only problem I am having is the pickguard. It keeps lifting, as does my 2016 Hummingbird Standard. Does anyone know if this is covered under Warranty? Many people are having the same problem.

They say the colour is Honey Burst, but I would say more of a Walnut Burst. I have the Hummingbird 12 string Honey Burst Custom Shop and it is a completely different colour than the J100

BUT, it is a Beauty and sounds so good and even across the board. LOVE IT!!!!!! Not bassy like Mahogany

Gibson will just send you another pick guard that does the same thing.  There is a thread on here that goes into great detail on how to fix this.  eg: Remove, clean the area, reapply the 3m adhesive and a series of heating and cooling the pick guard before reinstalling on the surface of the top.   Its here:

Edited by kidblast