Gibson Brands Forums

2016 J-45 Vintage

Hall

Click on photo. I've been quietly getting to know this one for two weeks. See a few folks are curious about the model so here goes. My apology for not being much of a computer/photo whiz. First off, it can be had for under $3,000. It is well built with nothing rough to report. Very light, 3+ pounds. The thermal treatment of the top is for real, for sure .... whatever the heck it might actually be! If I had to put the sound characteristic in one sentence, I'd say it sounds like a well broken-in guitar with that dry tone so easy to recognize. It's a plus to my ear, especially for finger picking. Thats when it is at its best. Nice guitar to sing with also. Clear separation and great response to a soft touch . The rolled board edges make for comfort. The neck took a little getting used to for me as it is round and a close likeness to the old ones. Now, I'm happy with it. Hey, the pickguard is not flubber! It is premium, hard and with beveled edges. Nice touch. I'm not a fan of the VOS finish treatment and I have already rubbed it away to gloss. The sealed tuners must be dipped in that same sauce and I had to lube them a bit to break the tight feel. Just a little dash of p. jelly via a syringe and they are fine now. Nut and saddle are bleached bone. Nut is cut just right and the saddle is a tight fit. The action is playable as is , but a bit factory high. Action is set for best tone. I have another saddle all set for lower action should I feel the need. Right now all is well as is. Not too fond of the case latches. That is why I asked Jessie what he thought of the same case for his Hummingbird. Hope that sheds some light on the 2016 J-45 Vintage. I am a Southern Jumbo fan and had set out to try a 2016 Crow SJ. I came home with this J-45 V with the thermal treated top instead. I suppose that is a bit of a testament all by itself.

Steve

Here is your pic. If you'd like, just email them to me and I will get them posted. dan at smile fierce dot com.

My impression of that neck is that it is very close to the rather full "C" profile on my 50s J-50. Very comfy.

Loved the one I played, and I am not surprised that you went shopping for an SJ, and this one followed you home instead.

Fair warning to all - if you play one of these, it will not be easy to leave without it.

J-45%20Vintage_zpsryjgeb4y.jpg

Here is what I do not get about the thermally treated tops. I gather it has to do with reducing the moisture level. But if you take two guitars, one with a terrified top and another not being thermally treated and put them in a room with 45% humidity will not both guitars respond the same and have the same moisture level?

Here is what I do not get about the thermally treated tops. I gather it has to do with reducing the moisture level. But if you take two guitars, one with a terrified top and another not being thermally treated and put them in a room with 45% humidity will not both guitars respond the same and have the same moisture level?

I believe the reaction that is desired and accomplished in the process occurs at the cellular level - far beyond using the kiln / moisture process.

Click on photo. I've been quietly getting to know this one for two weeks. See a few folks are curious about the model so here goes. My apology for not being much of a computer/photo whiz. First off, it can be had for under $3,000. It is well built with nothing rough to report. Very light, 3+ pounds. The thermal treatment of the top is for real, for sure .... whatever the heck it might actually be! If I had to put the sound characteristic in one sentence, I'd say it sounds like a well broken-in guitar with that dry tone so easy to recognize. It's a plus to my ear, especially for finger picking. Thats when it is at its best. Nice guitar to sing with also. Clear separation and great response to a soft touch . The rolled board edges make for comfort. The neck took a little getting used to for me as it is round and a close likeness to the old ones. Now, I'm happy with it. Hey, the pickguard is not flubber! It is premium, hard and with beveled edges. Nice touch. I'm not a fan of the VOS finish treatment and I have already rubbed it away to gloss. The sealed tuners must be dipped in that same sauce and I had to lube them a bit to break the tight feel. Just a little dash of p. jelly via a syringe and they are fine now. Nut and saddle are bleached bone. Nut is cut just right and the saddle is a tight fit. The action is playable as is , but a bit factory high. Action is set for best tone. I have another saddle all set for lower action should I feel the need. Right now all is well as is. Not too fond of the case latches. That is why I asked Jessie what he thought of the same case for his Hummingbird. Hope that sheds some light on the 2016 J-45 Vintage. I am a Southern Jumbo fan and had set out to try a 2016 Crow SJ. I came home with this J-45 V with the thermal treated top instead. I suppose that is a bit of a testament all by itself.

Steve

Congratulations!

You better make a video - there is only one on the net so far and a bit .....you know:

After looking up the dreaded specs, I see it has nothing to do with my standard J45 except the strings>.>

Mine is the best after a few years of playing, so yours must be better best [unsure]

BluesKing777.

Congratulations!

You better make a video - there is only one on the net so far and a bit .....you know:

After looking up the dreaded specs, I see it has nothing to do with my standard J45 except the strings>.>

Mine is the best after a few years of playing, so yours must be better best [unsure]

BluesKing777.

Here is part 2, clocking in at full 20 seconds. [rolleyes]

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I was wrong on the weight. Spec sheet says 2.25 pounds! Out of pure curiosity, I had done enough studying to understand the process is at the cellular level as Dan mentioned. But, I wasn't out to purchase this model. I just became hooked on the guitar's tone and feel alike while playing.

Steve

This is awesome... I really really want one.

Can you post a hint where one might find one of these guitars for under $3000? I'm seeing them a lot more expensively than that even with coupons.

Thanks!

-Mike

Mike, I did a direct stop in at Sweetwater as I do every summer when visiting my niece. Just under $3 is, just under.

Steve

I'm sure they both suck moisture, but my guess is it happens crucially different.

Following your logic would mean that old guitars lose their vintage voice under certain circumstances - which isn't the case.

In the more subtle side of the spectrum lies the crystalized resin factor.

Congratulation on the special 45, mister Threadhost.

Oh man. Even with my Hummingbird, I must say, I am jealous. I will probably buy another Gibson someday, and this one is on the short list (well, it is a list of about 5 or so... so not that short!)

Well, I think you are on to something, because it is a similar process. I think as wood ages, it takes in and loses moisture, and as this happens, the cellular structure changes as it "dies" (sad to think about). Once the wood is "dead" it no longer takes in or releases moisture in the same way. It is a lot more stable. You still wouldn't want to dry it out. But any guitar will sound great dried out--until it explodes. That's why old guitars sound so much better, because they are naturally dry rather than dried. And this process attempts to force the natural process. There are probably other "aging" things that happen to guitars and even to tops, but this whole crystalization of resin and release of moisture thing is one of those things, forced by the thermal curing. It advances stuff artificially on some levels. THe rest will have to catch up over the next hundred years. I suppose none of that will matter as much as the rest of the guitar catching up due to the glue and the other wood aging, and all the vibrations as it all begins to vibrate as a guitar instead of as various pieces of wood.

Hope that makes sense and didn't send anyone to sleep.

This is awesome... I really really want one.

Can you post a hint where one might find one of these guitars for under $3000? I'm seeing them a lot more expensively than that even with coupons.

Thanks!

-Mike

E.M. Shorts Guitars, in general, out of Wichita (and off the next) sells new Gibsons at 60% of retail (which is about another 20% less than MAP). I got my last-year J-15, new old stock, for well under even a 40% discount, in fact.

I'm assuming you got the same case as the TV models and yes: the latches suck!

Nice, nice guitar! Enjoy!

Yeah, what's the deal with the latches? Can't believe they haven't fixed that by now. Neat case, but I think I will get a Hiscox and sell the brown case if someone will take it off my hands. Love the vintage vibe, but it is heavy as a boar with bad latches and probably worth nearly the entire price of a Hiscox, which I believe each of my permanent collection should have.

My brian is following with zombys post here....

Oven dried tops(the latest) ... Non oven dried tops , spruce , cedar ,hide glue , non hide glue , all the many many variations of guitars and yet the answer to make them all sound best is the same humidity .

The variants don't add up for me.

I know there's a 'nice' environment for guitars to live , and certainly in a car on a hot day isn't clever , nor is deep freezing them , to be extreme for the sake of it.

I'm always left wondering why wooden boats don't just fall to bits when they sail from wet climates to hot climates..

Sure , I'm no physicist , but neither are the majority of punters ....

Molecular levels ?

What ARE we being fed here.

Can't it just be 'a really nice guitar' ?

Back to the lab

I'm always left wondering why wooden boats don't just fall to bits when they sail from wet climates to hot climates..

Actually, people have been making boats out of torrefied wood for thousands of years. The vikings may have been the first.

Of course there are some differences between boats and guitars. Boats don't have to sound nice, so they don't have to be constructed in such a state of fragile balance between nice tone and implosion.

PS Stop taking the piss!

Archived