Gibson Brands Forums

2016 J-45 Vintage

Hall

Here is what I do not get about the thermally treated tops. I gather it has to do with reducing the moisture level. But if you take two guitars, one with a terrified top and another not being thermally treated and put them in a room with 45% humidity will not both guitars respond the same and have the same moisture level?

I remember a recent interview with the new head luthier at Taylor. He said part of the terrification mojo is that the sugars in the wood change form or become solids or something along that line.

I had an interesting conversation with a guy who is a guitar collector and he's really loving terrification (I just like that word more than torrefication). He claims that humidity becomes a non-issue once the wood has been terrified, like using carbon fiber. Don't know that I've heard anyone one else claim that.

This will be an interesting thread in five or ten years when hindsight enters into the equation.

It doesn't make it like carbon fiber exactly but it definitely makes it tougher, or so it's said! Of course our guitars only have baked tops. The rest is still normal. And it still has glue and many other components that need to be kept relatively stable.

Martin sold their first baked guitar for charity or something along those lines and it was promptly displayed in a glass case under hot lights. It still cracked on top from the harsh environment, but a normal new guitar would have seen much worse damage. (This one was entirely torrefied, not just the top.) it caused the Martin folks to remark on how resilient the baked wood is compared to normal new guitars.

Again, so the stories go, but I don't plan to run any tests on mine! Is nice to know it's much tougher than normal though for a new guitar.

1440616958[/url]' post='1688495']

I'm assuming you got the same case as the TV models and yes: the latches suck!

Nice, nice guitar! Enjoy!

I totally agree , the guitar itself is over 100% really delighted and waited a long time for my J45 . The only down side is that I cannot understand why Gibson can't do a deal with Hiscox and provide a decent case with the guitar . My case has no locking catch apart from buying a small padlock , the lid is a bit of a tight fit and I don't like advertising the make of the guitar on the side , I know it's a Gibson but I don't really relish some people knowing . A nice Light Brown Hiscox case with gold lining might be on the cards msp_thumbup.gif and it's really heavy with a terrible plastic handle that digs in your hand !

I totally agree , the guitar itself is over 100% really delighted and waited a long time for my J45 . The only down side is that I cannot understand why Gibson can't do a deal with Hiscox and provide a decent case with the guitar . My case has no locking catch apart from buying a small padlock , the lid is a bit of a tight fit and I don't like advertising the make of the guitar on the side , I know it's a Gibson but I don't really relish some people knowing . A nice Light Brown Hiscox case with gold lining might be on the cards msp_thumbup.gif and it's really heavy with a terrible plastic handle that digs in your hand !

Confusing thread. Did you buy a guitar, or just a case?

Confusing thread. Did you buy a guitar, or just a case?

Well, I feel him. And I think my guitar is over 100% too truly. It's just that when you spend that much money, and when you are even promised a "special case" in the deal, and the special case is kind of a disappointment... Leaves us both wanting a Hiscox instead! At least in Relic's neck of the woods, he can get a Hiscox for a hilariously low price (even after taxes). They are a bargain in the UK. Getting them from the UK to the US is a pain. I brought one over on the plane with me. Next time I will just pay the mark-up :)

My case has no locking catch apart from buying a small padlock , the lid is a bit of a tight fit and I don't like advertising the make of the guitar on the side ,

I've never understood the need or purpose of a locking latch. If someone is going to steal your guitar they're going to just take the entire case and all, regardless if it's locked or not.

I've never understood the need or purpose of a locking latch. If someone is going to steal your guitar they're going to just take the entire case and all, regardless if it's locked or not.

Yeah, I agree there. I'm fine with the lid being a tight seal, too (it is definitely tight!) because it seals the humidity in (or out!) pretty well that way. I do worry a bit about having "Gibson" on the case, but I suppose anything guitar-shaped is a target for theft, whether it says Gibson or Yamaha.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived