Gibson Brands Forums

Joe Walsh, on today's music

charlie brown

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[Thinking out loud]

When was the last time a unique, new sound worked its way through contemporary music?

In more recent times, I can think of intentional distortion of vocals with autotune, and the unique sound of chopped up & rearranged recordings.

The 60s and 70s brought new sounds; amplified, then distorted guitars. Synthesizers. The broadening of the drummer's palette. The explosion of guitar effects followed quickly.

So when did the introduction of new sounds stop?

It seems to me like more recent innovation has been channeled into new ways to produce old sounds. Sure, there are some new twists, but what unique sounds have been applied to more modern music?

IMO, it was that transition that really inspired the creation of music (and often "recreation") for the Golden Years (read: my favorite years) of rock.

We've been a very long time now where the choices have been made from an existing set of stock sounds and effects.

If/when somebody does the equivalent of turning the volume knob past clean, we'll likely see (hear) a new revolution in the music scene. That's not to say that there aren't still opportunities for rearranging the existing set of sounds in interesting ways. What I'm thinking of is some new sound that grabs you and immediately refocuses your attention from the foreground activity to the music in the background.

I think it will be even better for the musicians as they'll have the inspiration on the creation side. Something new to inspire them in the same way hard hitting guitar riffs driven to 11 and beyond did for the generation of musicians that make up as my group of favorite artists.

The first time I heard a guitar make that super crunchy, sustained big E chord sound I was amazed. The first time I made that sound myself I was hooked.

We need something new that's as emotive and fundamentally simple as the cruchy big E chord for the new generations of musicians.

Or maybe I just need more coffee to clear my head.

NOW you can tune in EVERY day and hear the same "Classic Rock" songs AT THE SAME FRIGGIN TIME. (I think Styx has the 2:30PM slot...LOL)

Ah yes...the playlist syndrome which has taken over almost every radio station.

15 years ago I had to take temporary work - light industrial, in a warehouse - as I'd been made redundant.

The warehouse broadcast the local radio station which played maybe 20 different records all day, as that was their playlist. It drove me and several other people crazy.

A few years later I read that JazzFM (English nationwide 'jazz' station) was now broadcasting from a playlist of some 250 songs. That was all you were ever going to hear; if something new was added another had to be removed.

And the exec who was interviewed was very proud and kept saying what a great list it was!

This 'dumbing down' seems to me to be completely against "The Spirit Of Radio"......

All part of the move to 'de-skilling'.

I tend to agree with Joe, I don't think he is saying there is NO good music at all but rather scarce no days..the sh*tty music is becoming more prevalent than the good stuff. I do think that is true because of the digital era anyone can make music there is not the talent required anymore, in general I do realize there are still some that have talent just not as many.

Ah yes...the playlist syndrome which has taken over almost every radio station.

15 years ago I had to take temporary work - light industrial, in a warehouse - as I'd been made redundant.

The warehouse broadcast the local radio station which played maybe 20 different records all day, as that was their playlist. It drove me and several other people crazy.

A few years later I read that JazzFM (English nationwide 'jazz' station) was now broadcasting from a playlist of some 250 songs. That was all you were ever going to hear; if something new was added another had to be removed.

And the exec who was interviewed was very proud and kept saying what a great list it was!

This 'dumbing down' seems to me to be completely against "The Spirit Of Radio"......

All part of the move to 'de-skilling'.

AMEN!

Yeah- "Clear Channel" seems to have overtaken every radio station in our listening area and innovators they are not.

I know the bills have to be paid, and advertisements pay the bills. But...how depressing...the target audience WANTS to hear the same songs re-hashed day in and day out??!! Good Gawd, Y'all!

My wife and I, extremists that we are, kicked cable TV to the curb about 4 years ago. Don't miss it. We subscribe to Sirius/XM radio (some stations are repeatitive too), we have invested in other media; exchange videos with friends, etc. I believe we are happier....but as usual...I digress...

Brian

Yes! I watched this a couple of times before deciding to comment. I agree with Joe 150%. We live in a "cut and paste" digital world. Nobody is in a studio anymore as an ensemble. Most of the top 40 crap you hear (99% anyway)was done in Pro Tools and was cut and pasted and quantized from past performances of other people. Drummers don't need to keep time anymore...you can fix it in the mix. That's why so many of these top 40 acts sound so bad live (watched Palladia lately?). Because they never really performed the song in the studio...it was done digitally. I am sure to be lambasted for my view, but, yes, I agree to Joe 150%!!

Surfpup , Yes there was crappy music in all era's however that crappy music was genuine and not cut and pasted it was the musicians own crappy music, I think that is part of the point along with the fact that the industry and the general public endorses it or tolerates it. I might add that some of the posts of the music you put out there does not exactly strike a chord with me, but thats cool if it does for you. So as we debate this we must keep in mind that part of the equation is that it(Music) is so subjective that is certain that you will always find both opinions no matter what kind music you give as an example...but it is fun to hear the opinions.

Well, I think truly gifted, and dedicated musicians, are as good, if not better, than they've ever been!

Great Talents will always be around. How one uses that talent, and capitalizes on it, varies.

And, always has, to some degree. Also, those particular musicians, are quite capable of

producing outstanding music, in any genre. The "audience's" definition of "Good" music,

has always varied, as well. One man/woman's treasure, is another's junk!

The "Pop/Pop-Country Music Business" on the other hand, is more "cookie cutter" oriented, making

as much money as possible, in as short a time, with as little financial outlay, to recoup seems to be

the most important thing. That's been true, for a long time...maybe longer, than we realize, or want

to acknowledge? Admittedly, there seems a wider gulf, between recorded "stars," and their live acts!

"Technology," has had a large influence, in that widening gulf.

But, I think things will "settle down," eventually, as people get used to the true differences,

and embrace, as well as discard, accordingly. Time will tell, for sure!

CB

Corporate rock and roll sucked bigtime anyway. Walsh played in the Eagles for Christ's sake. To me, the only good "Industry" music of the LP era was out of Stax and Motown, and even there it's a mixed bag. Suckers buying into the British Imitation dried up a stream of the real McCoy.

Poor Joe. I love the guy and all, but when it's time to move aside and let someone else drive, including yer own daughter, do it with grace and class. Most people will die working at some nowhere job. Joe could retire and do anything he wants but no, he just needs this ---> <--- much more attention. Carp about it all all you want buck, I'm still one of the only losers listening to yer best stuff, and it is all way behind both of us.

rct

Well, I would have to mostly agree with Walsh.

There are still good bands and songs out there, but you have to look for them. I remember, some 10+ odd years ago, seeing in Rolling Stone magazine their Top-10 Albums of that month… and beside it, was their Top-10 list of albums from that same month only 20, 25(?) years ago. I mean, there was absolute !@#%*! in the current Top-10! But the Top-10 list from days of yore had artists and bands like Jackson Browne, Led Zep, Fleetwood Mac etc., etc. Not ONE crummy entry to be found.

So, yes... I think the industry, in general, has gone downhill. Basically, what we used to have was great music representing the most sales. Not so much anymore. As I said... you have to look hard, today, for the quality that was right in front of you yesterday.

..'.

In my experience this isn't unusual. I worked as a weekend DJ for an Album rock station back in another life. We basically had a box with 250 index cards in it categorized as A-D. You Played 4 As, 3 Bs 2 Cs per hour and and filled in with Ds. A's were current top 40 songs, B's where up and coming, Cs where on the way down and Ds where oldies. You could get away with some variation as long as you kept your numbers up. Every Sunday the cards where updated so you got a "new" playlist.

As for Joe's comments, I sort of agree for some genres, but there are still a lot of bands out there that avoid formulas and play their own music.

As for Joe's comments, I sort of agree for some genres, but there are still a lot of bands out there that avoid formulas and play their own music.

you are so correct.....plenty....they just might not be a blip on your radar screen.....

Surfpup , Yes there was crappy music in all era's however that crappy music was genuine and not cut and pasted it was the musicians own crappy music, I think that is part of the point along with the fact that the industry and the general public endorses it or tolerates it. I might add that some of the posts of the music you put out there does not exactly strike a chord with me, but thats cool if it does for you. So as we debate this we must keep in mind that part of the equation is that it(Music) is so subjective that is certain that you will always find both opinions no matter what kind music you give as an example...but it is fun to hear the opinions.

+1 ditto [thumbup] B)

Poor Joe. I love the guy and all, but when it's time to move aside and let someone else drive, including yer own daughter, do it with grace and class. Most people will die working at some nowhere job. Joe could retire and do anything he wants but no, he just needs this ---> <--- much more attention. Carp about it all all you want s buck, I'm still one of the only losers listening to yer best stuff, and it is all way behind both of us.

rct

Well brother were stuck in the same ole hole , joe could make those string talk.

4H

Yeah. I am blessed to have lived through the most recent golden era of music. There's great music out there, but it seems so much harder to find. Life's been good to me so far, and I'm not sure I mind being left behind.

I understand where Walsh is coming from, but I don't know that's he right. A lot of the new music today really sucks. But, that's kind of a generational thing. There was some pretty lousy stuff back in the 50-60-70s too. Those will always be "the good old days" because so much of what was being done was being done for the first time, but some of it was still lousy. .......I do think that technology is bringing us to a point where "live" musicians will no longer be needed, because music can be made without them. Not the way I want to see or hear it, but that's about where we are. Computers are already writing music and playing it. ..........There's a lot of talent making good music that is still out there. They just need the opportunity to become known.

This was a small part of a longer segment, of "Live at Daryl's House," featuring Joe Walsh.

Agree, or disagree?

CB

Well, he is right when he says there are no record sales. Really, only teeny bopper boy bands who will probably never see the cash themselves and Taylor swift get all the money. But, even still. Record companies never paid all that much even when records did sell. There are COUNTLESS stories of bands selling 5 million records and owing the record company money for studio time and a dozen other idiotic fees.

Today is still much the same as it was in the 70s-80s-90s, which is the only viable money source is touring for the majority of bands. There is good music today, Adelle, the Killers, Grace Potter, Lizzy Hale, heck even Bruno Mars is a throwback to the 60s with his james brown like moves.Is there as much as even a short time ago as the 90s? I dont know, maybe, but sadly you have to dig to find it because mtv has gone completely boy band and rap, its so awful not worth watching.

Ive actually found a few talanted artists on here. The one bummer of today is the really talented artists arent getting enough exposure.

I agree to the lack of "mojo", the use of autotune and vocoder backup vocals are things that really annoys me. Perfection is boring.

There are lots of great stuff out there, too bad that major radio stations in my country choose to avoid playing rock music...

//Robert

Archived