Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J45, SJ, OJ Tone Differences

jw3571

I recently bought a 1934 Original Jumbo reissue, i'm curious between the tone differences between this model, the Southern Jumbo, and the standard or TV J45. I played one SJ 12 fret and it sounded more mellow than my OJ. Are both of these models more mellow than the OJ?

Tough question, JW.......this tone thing is not just "black or white." Lots of grays mixed-in on a very wide and ever-expanding tonal palette. Sometimes my Hummingbird sounds more mellow than my J45. Could be the weather. Could be my ears at that time. Could be because I played "the bird" at a gig where it was pretty humid and the guitar is still adjusting to being back home. Both or mahogany. Not trying to "make lite" of your question. It or something very similar is a continuous theme in guitar forums, but all this tone sound thing is dependent on so very many variables and we hear those variables differently and attach different levels of importance to them. And there's also the differences in bracing, shape, size. For myself, I often think my mahogany guitars (and I'm assuming the three you are talking about are mahogany) sound more mellow, somber, quiet than my rosewoods. Whatever the answer is, I'd love to see some pics of your guitar. [thumbup]

I don't know much about the new ones. We have quite a lot of experiencing with the old (30s, 40s and for the HB, 60s). Jumbo is a power guitar in the 30s sense -- more powerful and somewhat rawer than the J-45 and SJ. After 1943, the SJ and J-45 were pretty much the same -- less power, but still punchy and distinct int the midrange. He HB is much more blended.

Best,

-Tom

Archived