Gibson Brands Forums

"One day I will own ________"

pippy

In rct's 'Howard Roberts / Chet Atkins' thread kidblast wrote something (post #8) which pricked a hair at the back of my scalp;

"...yea, time to start getting serious about the bucket list I guess..."

As I'm getting on in years myself this is probably something which I should address sooner rather than later...

Which guitars do you forumites wish, realistically, to own / have owned before you shuffle off this mortal coil?

Non-realistically is the second-part of the question.

Pip.

Well the first one is easy... A CS 336.... been wanting one ever since I first played one about 6/7 years ago.. I do need a semi hollow at some point (even though im aware a 336 isn't a traditional semi) its all im missing really.. Maybe one day I will mature enough to want a proper semi hollow ;)

Un-realistically I guess id love to own one of the early P90 goldtops, hhhmmmmmm :) (or failing that a guitar with some kind of musical historical significance that was played on a classic track)

hmmmmm........good topic

I want a Les Paul Special Double Cut in TV Yellow

I honestly want one of the those triple P90 Explorers in factory Camo finish from the 80's

a J45

A BC Rich Bich ten string in red like Joe Perry had on the inside cover of Live Bootleg

a Gold Top with P90's

and probably a white LP Custom a la Randy Rhodes

Plenty of others I want, but those are on my bucket list.

I've been blessed with owning some along the way that I've been able to check off my list....some have stayed, some have parted ways for various reasons.

NHTom

I can't complain.

I've played in a band (mid '60's), defended my country in uniform, albeit stateside, had a pretty good career, retired when I wanted to, raced cars, owned boats, have great kids, grandkids, wife (and ex's too), and have just about every conceivable guitar that I would want to have. My bucket list item? Be able to do them all justice, (and not just the guitars). LOL.

Not a big fan of the term bucket list - kinda morbid, but I do have a few reasonable requests before I go...

Never owned a JR, and I know I must eventually - TV yellow or cherry is fine. You can likely spare one, eh CB? [biggrin]

Always thought these were unique and would be fun to whip out for a set...

DSC04589_edited-1.jpg

I also really want a Moderne... particularly with the paddle headstock

moderne1.jpg

My "Bucket List" seems to keep evolving! And, in all honesty, if I never get another

guitar, I'll still love all the one's I have, and be totally satisfied, with that.

So, maybe my "fantasy" list, is more in order?

Gibson ES-345, and ES-355 Stereo, w/Lyre Maestro, Martin OOO-28EC, Guild (Jumbo) 512 Acoustic 12-string,

among other's.

[biggrin]

CB

I don't really have time to play the ones I already have.

But....I still have GAS for this wine red L5S -

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/122363-an-absolute-peach/

EDIT - I forgot about the Guild 12-string!

And I'd like one of those nice modern high-end 2-door Mercs with the twin exhausts and all the rest....

The only thing concerning guitars on my bucket list is that I may get my health back to play those I have. The only other thing is my wish that my ex-wife and mother of my children may come back to sanity and reason.

I want an ES-335 (or comparable semi-hollow).

My wife loves going to estate sales and garage sales and one of these days i'm going to stumble upon one for a great deal because I sure can't afford a new one!

I already own more gear than I ever imagined so I really truly do not have any gear on my bucket list. Always wanted to visit Europe and go to the Middle East as well to see so many historical sights but the current state of world affairs makes me not want to travel to the Middle East anymore. I miss my family more than anything so at some point when I pass on I hope to see them again. That's my biggest wish. Okay I'm dull - gotta go. :)

guitar wise...

the possible:

I don't know about bucket lists, but say when (if) i get to 50 I decide to sell up my gear and then just get a couple of guitars to see out my days, I think perhaps a 59 or 60 LP Junior double cut in cherry and the oldest, beat-up-est blackguard Telecaster I could find in butterscotch - both in as light weight and as great playing shape as possible. Simply because to me they would be guitars I'd just want to play constantly. as cool as it gets for mine. oh and one each of suitably awesome large, medium and small amps at the same time.

the entirely improbable:

Paul Kossoff's 59 LP Standard (lemony coloured one), Fast Eddie's natural strat with the brass guard, Malcolm Young's Gretsch...

that was a nice little reverie. :)

(kind wishes Cap)

Don't have much of a bucket list. I've been able to do some pretty cool things in my life. I've got a great family. Family is what this is all about. Everything else pales beside it. I've enjoyed to one degree or another every musical instrument I've owned, sold, given-away, lost, played etc. I've had and continue having a good time. So long as I have my family, I don't care if I never achieve anything else of significance. I'll be satisfied just being around my wife, kids, and grand kids. I might take an Alaskan Cruise sometime. I would like that. I spent 3 tours in Vietnam 67-69. Wasn't what I wanted or expected as a young man, but life happens and I ended-up there and chose to do two more tours after my mandatory one was up. Proud to have served with the soldiers I knew, and it was tough to say so long, so most of us upped for at least one more tour. Myself and a couple others did two. A true honor to be a dog handler on a tracker dog squad. Being in a war shouldn't be on anyone's bucket list, but the values that were reinforced and the maturity one can gain should be. Being scared sh--less and making it through can really help you grow-up. Gives you a new perspective on what's important and what's not. I trained police dogs and security dogs after I came home. I suspect some of the things that happen in our lives could be things someone else might want on their own bucket list, but we don't always get to choose and even if we do, it doesn't mean we can control the outcome. Many times it just happens..........Again, family is the big thing I want. It kind of fulfills any kind of bucket list I'd want or need. If I do have a bucket list, it likely consists of things like playing my music in some venues I haven't gotten into yet and maybe getting me a couple particular guitar I haven't found yet. One more thing might be that when I'm gone, people who knew me will think I was a good guy.

An alpine white (not that yellow crap they call antique ivory), non-chambered-or-weight-relieved Gibson Les Paul Custom. To go with my (excellent) Orville.

A Gibson L-3.

A 1959 Les Paul Standard so I can replace the pickups with a 490R/498T matched pair and refinish it in Fender surf green polyurethane paint so I can make the boomers whip themselves into a hate-frenzy.

I know you own a BB King. I had a 335 and a BB King at the same time. No need to have two so close. BB was head and shoulders a lot better so the 335 went.

I have a 335, too, so if I had to go for something totally different it would have to be a white SG Custom. I've never had one of those but always wanted one.

Not a big fan of the term bucket list - kinda morbid...
I really dislike the term...

Please accept my apologies, Surf and Cougar.

I merely copied it across from the quote mentioned in the OP without giving the term too much thought.

I'll see what I can do to rectify the situation.

Pip.

Both of us retire safely in three years, get the fukk out of NJ, have enough time and good health to finish my record(s).

And an M-36 from CFMartin, possibly the right Fibrebird from our hosts.

rct

Archived