Gibson Brands Forums

What Mid-Priced Guitar Cables Are You Using?

Silvercrow

I thought about making this a poll...until I saw the number of cable manufactures / models available! [scared]

I'm looking to buy two guitar cables. I've had and gigged Pro-Co "Dyna-Mik cables for many years- they are still in my arsenal and are durable and sonically good IMO. HOWEVER- they are right-angle > Straight and "Uni-directional" (ground lifted on one end). The angled plug doesn't work well on my Strat (funny that- I used to be able to make it lay flatter facing "up" but maybe the input mounts are different on Strats now?).

At any rate- I need a set of spare cables straight>straight and bi-directional. Need to be durable and the less coloring of sound the better. What would you reccommend?

I'm liking the Lava and Mogami so far, but am interested in other's opinions.

OH! Mid priced to me: $50.-70.00 for 15 ~ 18' cable.

You can talk pF (pico-farad) capacitance per-foot if you want but I'll soon glaze over and be lost from the get-go anyway. [tongue]

(BTW- I did do a search- I'm either not putting in the right words or missing something...!)

Thanks all! As always appreciate your collective input (pun intended!).

Brian

Hello Brian

I've been using some Fender heavy duty cables, and they are excellent.

25 bucks for 10 feet 38 bucks for 18.

I had a fender custom shop cable too, but that one eventually had a problem after a few years, there's supposed to be a warranty process, that was $30 for 10 ft..

I have a monster cable that I paid 50 bucks for that I've had for 15 years, (that'd be what,, 70 bucks with today's economy??)... Is there any difference? not that I can hear.

I use the braided Dimarzio's too. It's a real comprimise though - the trade off being that on the plus side they are lead singer stomp-all-over proof, but on the negative the @#$%*&g things constantly tie themsleves into loops of their own accord (what am I doing wrong here???)

Pro-Co [thumbup] . I lived in West Michigan for six years and some months back in the 90s and I still have some Pro-Co instrument and XLR cables. Great stuff from Kalamazoo, MI.

Right now I run a Mogami from my last pedal to the amp. Great cable and the reason it is there is because it likes to tangle. From my guitar to my pedals is a Vox coily cable. The one I have been using the past five years is used and was a gift from an old friend. Sounds good to my ears and the best part is that no matter how much I jump and run around, it never tangles. One end is a rt angle so it works perfectly with my SG Classic; I snake the cable between my guitar and strap and into the jack and I'm ready to rock.

OH! Mid priced to me: $50.-70.00 for 15 ~ 18' cable.

In my neighborhood, that's a high dollar cable.... just sayin'.

Pro Co and Horizon/Rapco cables have served me well for years. In fact I had a bad (newer) cable at a gig recently. Grabbed a cable from the bottom of my bag and repatched - problem solved. Packing up later I realized it was a 30 year old (and much used) cheap ProCo cable from an old band. I only knew this because in that band I wrapped yellow tape on one end of all of my cables for identification. Still kickin' obviously after being stomped on for years. [thumbup]

I still like George L's. I know soldering is better but these push-fits last ok and pass as much treble as my very expensive Pete Cornish guitar lead (the only P Cornish item I could afford!! [biggrin]).

I've used Monster for a long time (home used only) because of their "lifetime warranty". Think I can find a receipt? Ha!

That said, I know several folks who swear by George L's cables as being the best ever.

I've used Monster for a long time (home used only) because of their "lifetime warranty". Think I can find a receipt? Ha!

I also use monster. They have guitars starting at like $30 but they have higher priced/quality cables as well. They have always worked great for me. I have one i've been using for at least a decade that has been thru tons of gigs.

Hello Brian

I've been using some Fender heavy duty cables, and they are excellent.

25 bucks for 10 feet 38 bucks for 18.

I had a fender custom shop cable too, but that one eventually had a problem after a few years, there's supposed to be a warranty process, that was $30 for 10 ft..

I have a monster cable that I paid 50 bucks for that I've had for 15 years, (that'd be what,, 70 bucks with today's economy??)... Is there any difference? not that I can hear.

AND @ Mr. C.O. Jones:

What specific Fender cables are you using? Kidblast- you mentioned the heavy duty...would that be the Electro-volt or...? Thanks!

In my neighborhood, that's a high dollar cable.... just sayin'.

Pro Co and Horizon/Rapco cables have served me well for years. In fact I had a bad (newer) cable at a gig recently. Grabbed a cable from the bottom of my bag and repatched - problem solved. Packing up later I realized it was a 30 year old (and much used) cheap ProCo cable from an old band. I only knew this because in that band I wrapped yellow tape on one end of all of my cables for identification. Still kickin' obviously after being stomped on for years. [thumbup]

Trust me 'Pup; if I didn't believe I had to spend that much on something that would last...!

I LOVE my ProCo cables- but they don't make the "Dyna-Mik" model anymore (as far as I can see..)and I've read some reports that quality was slipping with the more recent ones. Mine are almost 20 years old!

My ProCos are good stout (not too stout) cable-GH plugs, excellent strain relief. Been with me since about '97 or so. I wish I wouldn't have gotten the directional cables but it is what it is. I need a spare set anyway..thanks!

@ sg50: "Made in USA. I doubt I could hear the difference between a $10 cable and a $100 cable unless the cable has something wrong with it." [lol] I LOVE that line!

I'm not cable snob...just want something that's good and will last. I hate the "disposable society" mentality of many accessory makers...

Brian

I was just given 2 Elixir premium cables. So far really good very sturdy cables. Check them out (I received them as a gift from my sis in Australia believe it or not from a co workere of her's)

Also have monster. Both brands within your price range. Cheers.

I also use monster. They have guitars starting at like $30 but they have higher priced/quality cables as well. They have always worked great for me. I have one i've been using for at least a decade that has been thru tons of gigs.

+1. I've used Monster cables for years, and can think of only 1 time several years back that I had to have one replaced through the warranty.

if you have a monster cable, that is dead, you don't need a receipt.

Just take it to a place like GC, and they will exchange it for you and send Monster the dead one.

at least that's what happened on the one occasion the one I bought failed.

Archived