Gibson Brands Forums

What do you think is the best acoustic guitar Gibson makes?

guitarlegends1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum................Picking one is pretty tough. Depends on what I played last night, where I'm playing, what the crowd is like, what I'm like. These and numerous other factors decide pretty much what guitar I'm taking with me. Off the top of my head I lean toward the Hummingbird. Perhaps more because of its iconic name than any actual edge it has over any of my other Gibsons. J45s are J45s. What's going to beat it? Still, "the bird" is a monster sound machine and an awesome guitar to hide behind. Similar things can be highlighted for my other Gibsons. The fact is, I feel all of the my Gibsons fit what I want at a performance. Which one I take with me depends on what's happening at the time and it might be a spur-of-the-moment thing. Good question though. I suspect some folks like a particular guitar for a given situation.

The J200 without a doubt with the songwriter deluxe a close second. The songwriter deluxe is the most understated and least talked about Gibson acoustic but it is by far superior to most of the line (with the exception of the J200.

This not not saying the other models are not outstanding as they are but... it is really to each his own and my vote goes for the 2 I listed. (I own a Hummingbird as well as a J35)

Have to take you back quite a few years when I saw and listened to the Hummingbird for the first time . Unforgettable moment and the guy was an amazing guitarist , not strummed but fingerpicked it just sang .Also Ralph Mc Tells Old Gibson takes some beating to my ears , saw him on the island a couple of years back stunning sounds and songs msp_thumbup.gif just listen to "From Clare to Here ".If you asked me for the best all rounder it has to be the simple but complex sounding J45

Damn, we are NOT making this easy on the OP. No consensus forming.

I love an LG-2. Can't say much about the LG-2AE but the ones I've played from the '50s and '60s just tickle my fancy. A J45 is the classic workhorse and the good ones are life-changing. Same goes with the Hummingbird. Sounds like the new torrified tops are to die for. But everyone should have one. A J200 is a monster and a powerful live weapon.

Maybe the Jackson Browne -- a guitar so classy you're afraid to get down and dirty with her. So you go back to your J-45.

That's a HARD question to answer. Every Gibson speaks differently to its players. You might not get along with one, but then another will sweep you off your feet.

Best acoustic? Plug in?

L-5CES. Duh?

That's funny.

Maybe the Jackson Browne -- a guitar so classy you're afraid to get down and dirty with her. So you go back to your J-45.

That's true. That, and the shallow neck profile on the JB.

(re: Hummingbird) ". . . and an awesome guitar to hide behind."

Smile of the day, right there.

Though I don't own one (yet); of all those that I've played, it would be the J-185. Same character as the SJ's and a smaller footprint, and some nice features (I quite like the use of inlays).

Gibson - it would be nice to see these appear in the 2016 run sometime; I'm OK with a limited run [biggrin]

Have to take you back quite a few years when I saw and listened to the Hummingbird for the first time . Unforgettable moment and the guy was an amazing guitarist , not strummed but fingerpicked it just sang .Also Ralph Mc Tells Old Gibson takes some beating to my ears , saw him on the island a couple of years back stunning sounds and songs msp_thumbup.gif just listen to "From Clare to Here ".If you asked me for the best all rounder it has to be the simple but complex sounding J45

As above. Ralphs' career was made on a J-45. I love them!

Guitarlegends!, First, it depends upon your budget. Since you stated no limitations - assuming you are talking about models currently in production, it would obviously be the most expensive one. Or, an H'Bird Vintage.

Of course, outside of brand spanking new guitars - I believe the best Gibson Acoustic is ... MY THREE !!

Not only is it a hard question to answer but an impossible one. There is no best; they're all different.

If you're going to be playing plugged-in, it's more important that you get something with a pickup that you like. If you're comparing 10 guitars with the L.R. Baggs Element in them, they'll all sound pretty much the same!

Unplugged, or with a microphone, on the other hand... and everything changes.

Belly Down Bridge? Rosette looks a little strange, and the pick guard. This looks pretty modified to my untrained eyes. This one does not blow my hair back, but this one does. Played it a few weeks ago, but at $8,000 I probably will shy away. http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/7

Belly Down Bridge? Rosette looks a little strange, and the pick guard. This looks pretty modified to my untrained eyes. This one does not blow my hair back, but this one does. Played it a few weeks ago, but at $8,000 I probably will shy away. http://www.williesguitars.com/index.cfm/gibson_acoustics/7/inventory/7

Eek, yeah. That bridge is heinous. Maybe that one just needs some TLC.

A more suitable question might be "What do you think is the best acoustic guitar Gibson made" ? Thinking about this, it's gotta' be every dang one of them, flat top, arch top, harp, etc, etc. Just remember the old proverb? or saying "there's an *** for every saddle". Are we talking, acoustic or electric? No matter, they all float someones boat. Get one of each, just as many of us have done. Enjoy 'em...

Any thoughts on the best acoustic guitar that Gibson makes? Ideally it would be able to plug in for live performances.
For that application, go maple. Its a trasparent sound. Low end doesnt boom, high end is clear. Get you big ringing chord sound. J200s, the Everly Bros, Doves. T Petty has used all three.

Archived