Gibson Brands Forums

Kids today have the coolest toys

Rabs

As well as smart phones (I cant imagine growing up with one of those) and tablets and all that.. They have some of the coolest toys ever....

While I do think they are cool I know too well if I bought one id use it once or twice and then it would go in the cupboard.... (I guess that's just growing up?) ... But when I imagine what I would have done for a toy like that as a youngster im kinda jealous I didn't have anything like that. (for me it was mainly lego :))

But how cool is this (I bet the prices will be crazy though)

Yes, pretty cool, especially the drone. I might not tire of it too soon.

When I was young I quite enjoyed these...

No.35Starfire.jpg

and these as I aged a bit.

Guillows-F6F-Hellcat-houten-vliegtuig---503.jpg

They were enjoyed until damaged beyond repair and then it was not too terribly expensive to have another go.

They can still be found, unlike many other toys available in my youth. [smile]

I never advanced to my dad's skill level. He was into Free-Flight and RC models. I had a couple of Cox control line planes that suffered one too many prangs. [cursing]

I found the constructing to be the more rewarding part of the hobby.

• Like 1

Well, I think I can't complain. I spent all of my childhood with very cool stuff.

From my earliest years to the age of eight I loved model railway like my father did:

mm59-2.jpg

Then I gradually converted to photography which my father liked, too - he started it around the time I was born - , and my first camera was a Kodak Retina IIIc:

Retina-IIIC-600.jpg

At the age of seventeen I started to use SLRs and up to six different lenses.

• Thanks 1

Hi Rabs, you are never too old to have/play with toys. I like lego. When I was a child I always wanted a lego aeroplane, never did get one. But several years ago I stepped inside a lego store and there was the aeroplane, I just couldn't resist it, so I bought it. :)

I must admit I do like BB8. Which will cost £129.

kind regards, Emma :)

• Like 1

Hi Rabs, you are never too old to have/play with toys. I like lego. When I was a child I always wanted a lego aeroplane, never did get one. But several years ago I stepped inside a lego store and there was the aeroplane, I just couldn't resist it, so I bought it. :)

Yeah I agree.. BUT what I meant by growing up is that I know from experience that they are just novelty items (like a plasma ball or something)... and for £129 :o that's an expensive novelty :)

For kids id imagine they would be amazing toys with weeks or years of fun but I well know that I will get bored with it really quickly....

Like I got one of those mini helicopter things several years back which I always wanted as a kid (I never had a remote controlled car or anything that cool).. and it is cool BUT the issue is you have to charge it for like over an hour to get about 10-15 mins use before the batteries run out.. and it didn't take long before I just couldn't be bothered to charge it.. So it just sits there gathering dust...

No.35Starfire.jpg

They were enjoyed until damaged beyond repair and then it was not too terribly expensive to have another go.

I never advanced to my dad's skill level. He was into Free-Flight and RC models. I had a couple of Cox control line planes that suffered one too many prangs. [cursing]

I remember watching an old bloke prepping up his plane to fly it at our local oval when you could still do things like this, before the Fun Police legislated everything out of the bounds of Joy. It was a Catalina Flying Boat, with a wingspan of about 8 feet!! Had 4 6cc motors and prop diameters of around 12 inches! It was massive. I waited for well over an hour while he tinkered with it, but never got to see it in the air. I always regretted not hanging around long enough to see it fly, but I was due at a sports event.

No.35Starfire.jpg

Yup I had those balsa wood planes and the model kits too :) It was great fun... [thumbup]

LEGO! Now you said something, Emma :) I loved Lego and learned reading and even writing capital letters when playing with alphabetic Lego characters at the age of four and five. My goal were correct names on the shops, plants and gas stations I built, so it was crucial.

lego-zahlen-und-buchstaben.jpg

I remember watching an old bloke prepping up his plane to fly it at our local oval when you could still do things like this, before the Fun Police legislated everything out of the bounds of Joy. It was a Catalina Flying Boat, with a wingspan of about 8 feet!! Had 4 6cc motors and prop diameters of around 12 inches! It was massive. I waited for well over an hour while he tinkered with it, but never got to see it in the air. I always regretted not hanging around long enough to see it fly, but I was due at a sports event.

Those PBYs were a work of art. That would have been a sight to behold.

Getting four of those engines right surely took some time and I bet if you'd asked him,

he'd have had a pre-flight checklist just like the real aviators.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rabs,

I see what you are saying, about the novelty aspect. Concerning the BB8, if this had been in kit form I would be more inclined to purchase one, would have been good to grasp the basics of electronics and remote control.

Hi Capmaster,

This is what I like about Lego. You can let your imagination run riot but it also educates at the same time. From reading/understanding the instructions and being able to work in a methodical manner.

Rabs and Capmaster sorry for the delay in replying.

• Like 1

...They were enjoyed until damaged beyond repair and then it was not too terribly expensive to have another go...

I had a few successes with small-scale balsa 'Rubber-Powered' (i.e. elastic band) kits so decided to up the ante and bought one of these;

Guillows_JU_87-_STUKA_1002_zpsu1i73wfx.jpg

Fantastic kit. As can be discerned from the box-info the wingspan was just shy of three feet!

Much more time consuming to assemble but after weeks of 'after-school' effort I took it up to the park for it's maiden flight. A few of my mates even came along to watch the fun.

The rubber-band was the length of the plane, of course, so was obviously going to take an age to wind-up.

Eventually the effort required to turn the prop was noticeably harder until, with a muffled 'crump', the whole fuselage collapsed concertina-like and the evenings 'fun' was over.

...my first camera was a Kodak Retina IIIc:

Retina-IIIC-600.jpg

50mm f2 Schneider-Kreutznach with Compur shutter. Very good quality bit of kit....[thumbup]

...It was a Catalina Flying Boat, with a wingspan of about 8 feet!! Had 4 6cc motors and prop diameters of around 12 inches...

A four-engined Catalina? You certainly don't see many of those, S-P!..............:P..............

Pip.

No reason for being sorry. Since many years I'm not in a hurry when it's about toys... [biggrin]

Hi capmaster, thank you :)

I do enjoy Lego, it's a great way to relax. I love my guitars and playing but sometimes when you 'hit the brick wall' with a piece of music and the need to 'switch off' the Lego is always nearby.

• Like 1

I had a few successes with small-scale balsa 'Rubber-Powered' (i.e. elastic band) kits so decided to up the ante and bought one of these;

Guillows_JU_87-_STUKA_1002_zpsu1i73wfx.jpg

Fantastic kit. As can be discerned from the box-info the wingspan was just shy of three feet!

Much more time consuming to assemble but after weeks of 'after-school' effort I took it up to the park for it's maiden flight. A few of my mates even came along to watch the fun.

The rubber-band was the length of the plane, of course, so was obviously going to take an age to wind-up.

Eventually the effort required to turn the prop was noticeably harder until, with a muffled 'crump', the whole fuselage collapsed concertina-like and the evenings 'fun' was over.

Pip.

Hi Pippy, This is something that I'm interested in doing.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you purchase this kit from?

@ Pippy: My younger brother enjoyed playing with model planes, and my son did that, too. For good reasons they don't sell toys with nazi symbols here. They all were fantasy designs so to say and had that pure balsa wood look. Their wingspan, however, has always been larger than their lifespan.

Sadly, the Synchro Compur leaf shutter turned out to be the most unreliable part from a camera age of some fifteen years on. The Schneider Kreuznach Xenon f:2.0/50mm, however, was fantastic. It took a Kodachrome II - the later Kodachrome 25 - or a Kodak Panatomic-X to prove its abilities. This lens was definitely beyond any doubt.

@ Emma: Nice to hear you still enjoy Lego. Since my son left Lego alone, I don't play with it anymore, too. As time goes by...

Hi Pippy, This is something that I'm interested in doing....I hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you purchase this kit from?...

I don't mind in the least, Emma.

It was bought from a shop imaginatively called 'The Model Shop' behind The Steeple just off Falkirk High Street.

This, however, was circa 1975 so even if the shop is still there they might not have any left in stock......

...Sadly, the Synchro Compur leaf shutter turned out to be the most unreliable part from a camera age of some fifteen years on. The Schneider Kreuznach Xenon f:2.0/50mm, however, was fantastic.......

Ahhh...shame about the reliability issue because they really were superb optically.

For the sake of "Fun" here's a snap I've just taken of my own S-K's / Synchro-Compurs which were in daily use until I made the switch to digital a decade ago;

S-Ks%20lo-res_zps1zgtapxt.jpg

Pip.

For the sake of "Fun" here's a snap I've just taken of my own S-K's / Synchro-Compurs which were in daily use until I made the switch to digital a decade ago;

S-Ks%20lo-res_zps1zgtapxt.jpg

Pip.

Respect! Admirable and absolutely professional gear. [thumbup] What studio cameras were they made for?

I don't mind in the least, Emma.

It was bought from a shop imaginatively called 'The Model Shop' behind The Steeple just off Falkirk High Street.

This, however, was circa 1975 so even if the shop is still there they might not have any left in stock......

Pip.

Hi pippy, thank you for your reply. I think I'm going to have to build a time machine from my Lego to get this model aircraft.

I will have a look on the internet, this would be a great project. (the aeroplane not the time machine).