Gibson Brands Forums

NGD 2014 Figured Cherry

gt_jack

Birthday gift from my wife. I've always wanted a 335. Got a great deal on NOS 2014 - which was the model I wanted. Classic 57's and 'dot' neck. Saved about $1,200. The tuners may get upgraded to an 18:1 Grovers instead of the 14:1 that come with it. Everything else is perfect. Tough guitar to photograph due to the finish.

20150828_103339_zpsg92ziczd.jpg

20150828_103203_zps5v3kfyra.jpg

FullSizeRender4_zpscpsaxuey.jpg

FullSizeRender3_zpstuuvx9xf.jpg

20150820_122246_zpsnfgscxwj.jpg

335-2_zpsobvfmak0.jpg

Don't forget to register for warranty within 15 days...

Sweet looking guitar. I would love to play a 335 with 57s, they're highly sought after and gone by the time I get there. The finish is tough to photo, but you've done some nice photos here.

Receiving gifts such as this, I also got a 335 for my BDay, came with an IOU so big I don't know if I'll ever get squared up with her. Almost like going down to the crossroads and signing with the devil. Thanks? ;)

Congratulations!

Mine was impossible to photograph as well. Luckily the good people here know what you mean! ;~)

I got an unreal deal on my '14 too. Also, I was scared that the changes Gibson was doing to the solid bodies would soon effect the Memphis line. (luckily that seems to be an unfounded worry)

I wanted the dot neck. I just love feeling the rosewood under my fingers. The 57 Classic's are everything they are cracked up to be. I'm glad I didn't wait the '14's are absolutely perfect.

I hemmed and hawed about the 14:1 tuners for quite a long time. I didn't want to change anything on this instrument. In the end I finally changed them to the 18:1's. I certainly don't regret it. The new machines are much better to use and it only took 15 minutes to get the whole job 100%. A completely invisible mod.

I haven't seen used 335's priced better than the deal I was able to get on my guitar. Notoriously, I do not regret money spent on musical instruments but the deal we have gotten makes me smile a mile wide!!

Good luck with that beauty! Many, many years of music to you!

jv

...I hemmed and hawed about the 14:1 tuners for quite a long time. I didn't want to change anything on this instrument. In the end I finally changed them to the 18:1's. I certainly don't regret it. The new machines are much better to use and it only took 15 minutes to get the whole job 100%. A completely invisible mod...

Hey Joe - thanks. Did you go with the Grover 102:18 series? I took a look at the locking 602C - but the post are way too tall. I called Gibson and asked which model Grover they put on the 2015 - but all they could say was 'The Gibson Grovers' - ???

Hey Joe - thanks. Did you go with the Grover 102:18 series? I took a look at the locking 602C - but the post are way too tall. I called Gibson and asked which model Grover they put on the 2015 - but all they could say was 'The Gibson Grovers' - ???

Yes, I put the Grover 102-18N's on mine. I did consider the 602's but they do not come in nickel. I wrote Grover to be sure. I didn't realize that the posts were too tall also. If Grover ever makes the correct sized 602's with the nickel finish I would probably get them. Locking machines would be great with the stop tail.

Oh well, I've been changing strings the old fashioned way for 40 years. Not a big deal. ;~)

Good luck,

jv

Just to follow up on the tuners, I installed a set of Grover 502C locking turners. Drop in replacement and the 18:1 gears made quite a difference from the stock 14:1. I had some tuning issues on the stock tuners, but now the same set of strings are rock solid steady.

Archived