Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 2016 Traditional Honey Burst

1all's Pub

Last weekend was my birthday and my wife technically didn't get me anything because she wanted to get me a pedal or something guitar related, but didn't know what to get so she sent me to get my own present this week... always a dangerous undertaking... LOL! While there I found a 2016 Honey Burst Traditional (okay, I knew it was there... I'd called around and drove half way across the city to go to this GC in particular because they had a 2016 Trad in Honey Burst). Anyway, played it, fell in love and bought it using the GC 15% off Labor Day coupon they sent me ($350 off!!!!). Here she is... I call her Sophia. :D

image_zps0yxd4x9b.jpg

Her flame is very deceptive... from certain angles she almost looks like a plain top, but from others she literally bursts into flame. [drool]

image_zpstqvt6xt1.jpg

image_zpsbewlb0dd.jpg

image_zpsyhq0g3pz.jpg

image_zpstro2wrkx.jpg

And a beautiful dark, rich rosewood fretboard!

image_zpsogs3jgvc.jpg

A very cool surprise awaited me when I went through her case after buying her. I found this photo slipped into the QC sheet. Apparently the Gibson employee who did the final QC inspection snapped a photo of her on his desk and then threw it in the case for me. How cool is that? What a great memento for the great Gibson Comeback of 2016! [thumbup] (I've since read that they started doing this pic thing with the 2015 models? Regardless... very cool!)

image_zpsc0xe9oje.jpg

Here she is with Raquel (my 2014 Cherry Sunburst Trad).

image_zpsezpifbab.jpg

And here's all 3 of my LP ladies... 2014 Trad (Raquel), 2016 Trad (Sophia) and 2014 Epi Standard (Sasha, who sports a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio 36th Anny PAF in the neck). As is evident, I consider all LPs to be sexy ladies! [love]

image_zpsbtglb8ii.jpg

Weight-wise she's right at 9lbs and seems fairly light in comparison to my 2014 Trad which is in somewhere between 9.5lbs and 10lbs (and also lighter than the 2012 Trad I sold to fund her which was 9.25lbs). Some retailers websites state traditionally weight relieved, some state non-weight relief--honestly I don't care--but given the weight of Sophia, if I had to guess I'd say that she is indeed probably traditionally weight relieved. (Come on Gibson, please release the 2016 specs already so we can know for sure! [flapper])

I did end up selling Fiona (my 2012 Trad) to fund Sophia (the 2016 Trad)... and while I'll miss her...I have zero regrets.:)

Wow.. that's REALLY nice [thumbup]

How does it play and feel? Is it just like the older specs as we have heard? The finishes on the 2015 models looked really really nice from the ones I saw, hows it look close up? Hows the nibs :D

It looks like the one feature that's been kept from 2015 is the hex wrench adjustable bridge.. Am I seeing right? They look like they are there but the photo isn't quite big enough to make out properly...

If that's the case, at least they kept something that's actually a really good idea so you can adjust the bridge way easier....

Happy playing man. Looks like you got a great guitar there (and a nice collection at that :)). I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of NGDs this next few months as these 2016s really seem like great guitars [thumbup]

Last weekend was my birthday and my wife technically didn't get me anything because she wanted to get me a pedal or something guitar related, but didn't know what to get so she sent me to get my own present this week... always a dangerous undertaking... LOL!

So your wife sponsored the purchase of a potential rival [rolleyes] Happy belated Birthday To You, and congrats on your great wife! [thumbup]

Her flame is very deceptive... from certain angles she almost looks like a plain top, but from others she literally bursts into flame. [drool]

Only the very special, most seductive beasts do this. [love] From certain angles one can't even decide what's prettier, the figuring or the graining! [wub]

I did end up selling Fiona (my 2012 Trad) to fund Sophia (the 2016 Trad)... and while I'll miss her...I have zero regrets.:)

Though it may hurt, too, these kinds of, ahem, divorcements are cheaper than the more serious ones [unsure]

Happy playing, mate! [biggrin]

Wow.. that's REALLY nice [thumbup]

How does it play and feel? Is it just like the older specs as we have heard? The finishes on the 2015 models looked really really nice from the ones I saw, hows it look close up? Hows the nibs :D

It looks like the one feature that's been kept from 2015 is the hex wrench adjustable bridge.. Am I seeing right? They look like they are there but the photo isn't quite big enough to make out properly...

If that's the case, at least they kept something that's actually a really good idea so you can adjust the bridge way easier....

Happy playing man. Looks like you got a great guitar there (and a nice collection at that :)). I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a lot of NGDs this next few months as these 2016s really seem like great guitars [thumbup]

Thanks man! And thanks everyone... much apprecaited. She plays fantastically. And yeah, the 2016 specs are pretty much right on with the 2012 model I think. The finish is beautiful... and the finish work on the binding in general (including the nibs) is the nicest I've seen on an LP yet (better than my 2014 or the 2012 I sold).

And yes it does have the hex adjustable bridge (so does my 2014 though).

Gibson has actually been putting photos of the guitar being finished in every case since the beginning of 2015. It is a pretty cool touch to have!

Iquote name='1all's Pub' timestamp='1441472616' post='1691365']

A very cool surprise awaited me when I went through her case after buying her. I found this photo slipped into the QC sheet. Apparently the Gibson employee who did the final QC inspection snapped a photo of her on his desk and then threw it in the case for me. How cool is that? What a great memento for the great Gibson Comeback of 2016! [thumbup] (I've since read that they started doing this pic thing with the 2015 models? Regardless... very cool!)

image_zpsc0xe9oje.jpg

Archived