Gibson Brands Forums

Why do some people dislike 2015 brass nuts?

Kenan

Because of the many reports that they didn't work properly..

Reports of pinging in the slot when bending a string and the string was wearing a groove into the nut very quickly leaving brass metal shavings on the board....

HOWEVER... a few guys on here who got a 2015 had replacement chrome plated nuts sent to them which apparently fixed the issue... but really who wants to have to go through all that nonsense when you buy an expensive item like a Les Paul...

Apart from that I think most of us agree that the idea of the adjustable nut in principle is a good one, but it was poorly executed in the production models..

And as we now know, the idea doesn't as of yet seemed to have made it to 2016s line up (YET, theres speculation of a secondary line up to come)....

Brass nuts on standard tuners don't have any pinging or wear issues at all. The brass nut is height adjustable which is

a very handy function to have. You can quickly and easily set the height.

The pinging arose while the e-tuners were rapidly setting the tuning.

HOWEVER... a few guys on here who got a 2015 had replacement chrome plated nuts sent to them which apparently fixed the issue... but really who wants to have to go through all that nonsense when you buy an expensive item like a Les Paul...

very true, and it brings out the question - why did Gibson release such a soft brass nut insert in the first place?

they have been around a very long time, why did they ignore extensively testing the wear characteristics prior to shipping?

how well did the childish Les Paul signature received by the buying public, everyone seems to dislike it but they went ahead with it anyway.........

I don't dislike them, its more of a whole package thing for me with 2015 they went a bit far imho. I also don't see where they are better than a bone nut.

I've played the roller nuts with Strats and if you have to go through this for example.....

"HOWEVER... a few guys on here who got a 2015 had replacement chrome plated nuts sent to them which apparently fixed the issue... but really who wants to have to go through all that nonsense when you buy an expensive item like a Les Paul...:

Which also brings into question adjustment as once correctly adjusted the bone is "done" which means its suggested the brass is easier to adjust. That isn't so imho, and the trem issue is non sequitur to me, I prefer the tone of the bone and looks and play ability.

Which to me I agree with above..............

"they have been around a very long time, why did they ignore extensively testing the wear characteristics prior to shipping?

how well did the childish Les Paul signature received by the buying public, everyone seems to dislike it but they went ahead with it anyway...."

Which mystified me, I think the nuts should be designed effectively and sold like Fender as an additional part. How many would play one then? [biggrin]

I have seen two versions of the brass "zero-fret" nut, with different shapes to them, and I haven't seen the chrome one, though I have heard of it, seen pics on the net.

If it was available as an aftermarket accessory, I would gladly try it. (provided, it didn't require mods to the guitar, and could easily be switched back to the original nut).

The few I tried when they first appeared had problems with binding- as in, the string would catch and the guitar would not stay in tune. And one where the string had left a groove, it DID "ping" when bending up there...not to mention the string would not always go back to the center position.

Having said that, these were guitars in a shop, as in not mine. Had I had one to mess with? I kinda think maybe I could have filed it or polished it to make it work. Maybe, maybe not.

My understanding, is the "second" version with the more definite string grooves behind the "fret" part solved this. And perhaps the plated or silver ones made of a different materiel solved the rest. I don't really know.

Either way, being the freak I am about well cut nuts, string height at the nut, intonation, etc., not to mention ALL the complaints everyone seems to have about nuts, an easily replaceable and adjustable nut is really the best idea to come along in a long, long time.

I mean, so what if it goes bad? just drop another one in. Can't do that with "traditional" nuts that are cut and installed EVERY TIME.

• 4 weeks later...

very true, and it brings out the question - why did Gibson release such a soft brass nut insert in the first place?

they have been around a very long time, why did they ignore extensively testing the wear characteristics prior to shipping?

how well did the childish Les Paul signature received by the buying public, everyone seems to dislike it but they went ahead with it anyway.........

The nut was supposed to be "cryogenically" treated so it lasted longer. No signs of wear on mine despite the number of times I have to tune it!

It shouldn't be rocket science, locking nuts that come along with Floyd or other floating bridges are metal and they work fine. I hope they try again with a stronger material because I like the idea of being able to control the height at the nut without needing to file or replace.

The other recent change I liked was the removable pick guards, I thought that was a great idea because I always remove them. I just prefer the way they look without them.

Guest Farnsbarns

Brass nuts on standard tuners don't have any pinging or wear issues at all. The brass nut is height adjustable which is

a very handy function to have. You can quickly and easily set the height.

The pinging arose while the e-tuners were rapidly setting the tuning.

Unfortunately, absolutely not true. I've read plenty of people having pinging while tuning manually and even when bending.

nothing wrong in my opinion with the brass nut or g force its just that Gibson tried to make a high quality product and some nay sayers kept on crying to get back to the basics which they did for the 2016 .Im glad i bought the 2015 lp traditional one of the best guitars i ever played and recorded with so people can say what they want im happy with the 2015.

Like many of the other 2015 owners, I absolutely love my 2015 Les Paul Less Plus. I changed the brass nut for the new upgrade nut, but not because I was having problems, just because it was a reasonable move to assure not having potential problems in the future. I love the way I can set the action. It is lower than any guitar I have ever owned.

Guest Farnsbarns

nothing wrong in my opinion with the brass nut or g force its just that Gibson tried to make a high quality product and some nay sayers kept on crying to get back to the basics which they did for the 2016 .Im glad i bought the 2015 lp traditional one of the best guitars i ever played and recorded with so people can say what they want im happy with the 2015.

If you say it enough times even you might believe it!

[lol]

I have to wonder if some of the nut issue isn't the type of string being used as I haven't had any issue at all and my 2015 SG is now my main guitar.

Some folks have had issues with the brass nuts and those complaints from actual 2015 owners are valid. The rest of those complaining are just internet bedwetters that are complaining because everyone else is complaining.

To be frank Gibson went way too far in implementing that 2015 innovations and left too few buying options for more traditional minded folks. While I haven't seen the official 2016 lineup yet it seems they have now gone too far in the effort to correct course, leaving no option for a guy like me who wants the wider neck, better finish, better case, metal nut and metal fret ends.

I can see that I will likely have to get more 2015s to get the neck I want now. The Les Paul Less Plus is on my short list to be sure. [thumbup]

To be frank Gibson went way too far in implementing that 2015 innovations and left too few buying options for more traditional minded folks. While I haven't seen the official 2016 lineup yet it seems they have now gone too far in the effort to correct course, leaving no option for a guy line my who wants the wider neck, better finish, better case, metal nut and metal fret ends.

I myself could see maybe using every one of the "innovations". But for sure, not at once.

If the 335 or 345 would have been available with the wide neck, I would have maybe bought.

Adjustable nut..that's a no-brainer. If it was truly made to work, there are a few guitars I would PUT it on. I am a firm believer in nut height and action there. Some of my guitars have the nut cut very low, some higher.

G-force, definitely would not have on a gigging guitar or a workhorse guitar, but I might try it on a couch guitar, just to mess with open tunings.

To be frank Gibson went way too far in implementing that 2015 innovations and left too few buying options for more traditional minded folks. While I haven't seen the official 2016 lineup yet it seems they have now gone too far in the effort to correct course, leaving no option for a guy line my who wants the wider neck, better finish, better case, metal nut and metal fret ends.

I can see that I will likely have to get more 2015s to get the neck I want now. The Les Paul Less Plus is on my short list to be sure. [thumbup]

Hmmm,yes.. I have feeling that Gibson may yet release more than we know about yet...

As I have said before.... even though I personally don't like the wider neck or particularly want autotuning... I think they would be absolutely crazy to totally dump all the changes.. A lot of time and effort went into those changes im sure... All they need to do is just offer a few in the line up and everyone is happy (not that people wont stop complaining or anything :)) but you know....

Also I think what you say about string type may actually be the issue.. cos otherwise why would it be working for some people and not for others.. theres something odd going on there for sure.

Rumor is Gibson USA will be split into two lines for 2016. The traditionally built "T" line (eg, my new 2016 Trad is actually called the "Traditional T") and an as yet unreleased modern line that will most likely feature at least some (if not most/all) of the 2015 "innovations". ;)

Honestly, this is what they should have done last year. Would have saved them a LOT of hassle (& sales & goodwill) and been a proper 100th bday salute to the innovator that was Mr Les Paul while not abandoning their heritage. Oh well...live & learn, right Gibson? :D

The nut was supposed to be "cryogenically" treated so it lasted longer. No signs of wear on mine despite the number of times I have to tune it!

Disclaimer: My response is second hand information!

The tech at my local Guitar Center was told by a Gibson rep that the "early" brass nuts were either not cryogenically treated...or not properly treated. This could account for the reason why many users of the brass nut don't have any issues with it and others have constant issues.

I think the main reason many people didn't like any of the 2015 innovations is that they were all introduced at once across the line. Some of the innovations were good and some bad, but most people didn't like them all. So almost nobody was happy with the package.

Gibson thought they were going to change everybody's mind. But what they totally missed is that as soon as you try to start telling people to change their minds you've lost their business, period. This is why they should have... like... real people helping them.

It's like somebody coming in and saying they want a Marshall but you think you're going to talk them into buying something else because (yamma yamma yamma) and you wonder why they have to be giving you the finger all the way back to their car. Same deal. Too much BS and they just want to go buy a Peavey and stick their fingers in a electrical socket.

• 5 years later...

It’s 2021 and my 2015 Standard Honeyburst perimeter candy is still stunning and none of the issues reported.

Initially I thought it did, like staying in tune, but I found out it was because of different string gauges and brands from factory setup to the first time I restring it that you have to recalibrate Gforce. But you gotta let the strings themselves stretch properly first, then identify the most stable string to be used as reference. After calibration, all your custom tunings are adjusted accordingly. You gotta do this every time you change strings, brand and gauges.

I think most of the hate came from the pricing. It was around 5 grand for the standard model that i have, when it came out. But I got mine a couple if years after, discounted almost 2 grand brand new, on clearance sale.

I have more nice things to say about my guitar than all the negative reviews. lol

CB47C0C2-50EF-4D0D-8888-3579112BF89A.jpeg

Edited by SmoothFingerz
Photo upload of the guitar

2 hours ago, SmoothFingerz said:

It’s 2021 and my 2015 Standard Honeyburst perimeter candy is still stunning and none of the issues reported.

Initially I thought it did, like staying in tune, but I found out it was because of different string gauges and brands from factory setup to the first time I restring it that you have to recalibrate Gforce. But you gotta let the strings themselves stretch properly first, then identify the most stable string to be used as reference. After calibration, all your custom tunings are adjusted accordingly. You gotta do this every time you change strings, brand and gauges.

I think most of the hate came from the pricing. It was around 5 grand for the standard model that i have, when it came out. But I got mine a couple if years after, discounted almost 2 grand brand new, on clearance sale.

I have more nice things to say about my guitar than all the negative reviews. lol

CB47C0C2-50EF-4D0D-8888-3579112BF89A.jpeg

oh yea.. that is a nice lookin LP! 

People don't like change, and there was a lot of change that year, some good, some, maybe not so good.

good that you took the time to figure out what would work for you with the auto tone.. it's probably true that  not a lot of ppl did that.