Gibson Brands Forums

Leather Strap sound dynamics

skilsaw

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess came stock with strap locks. I retrofitted some to my other LP, L6S and Explorer guitars. No adverse effects so far. Perhaps I should add that I play them all using suede straps.

I believe strap locks de-couple the strap from the guitar...for sound vibrations, of corse.

But for vibrations coming from me, a filter provides the best protection. Not just for the guitar, but the rest of the band as well.

....Blue suede straps though, right?

Some of these:

MSS3CROP1_2048x2048.jpg?v=1432978754

I believe strap locks de-couple the strap from the guitar...for sound vibrations, of corse.

But for vibrations coming from me, a filter provides the best protection. Not just for the guitar, but the rest of the band as well.

Same here [biggrin]

As a side note, Chuck gets bonus points for duct taping the chord to his guitar.

Side note on this..........it's probably all that is holding it together......

I was crewing at a festival in the 80's that chuck was playing at. When they set up his gear, the cord was a frayed mess......and it was some special split type cord for the way he ran the guitar/amps. When the stage manager commented on how it looked like it would fail, he was told "That's Chuck's cord....leave it alone"

Being a good tech, he ran a meter over it to figure out how it was wired and made a duplicate..........and of course Chuck's failed and the replacement saved the day.......lol.

NHTom

I just looked at Gibson's site and there's a couple of disturbing developments:

Historic TONE and TONE capacitors.

I'd better take the dog for a walk and mull this over for a bit.

There's evidently more to this whole TONE thing then one would think. Knobs, pointers, straps, putting your pants on backwards, duct tape, so many variables...

I just looked at Gibson's site and there's a couple of disturbing developments:

Historic TONE and TONE capacitors.

I'd better take the dog for a walk and mull this over for a bit.

There's evidently more to this whole TONE thing then one would think. Knobs, pointers, straps, putting your pants on backwards, duct tape, so many variables...

Does this mean that the true TONE capacitor's will be really, really for real and true PIO cap's? With molecular/chemical tested tone-oil?

The PIO thing indeed depends on the oil's chemistry in high voltage applications. Oils may have varying conductivities which can cause serious trouble there, but not in guitars. Losses due to conductive oil can be neglected in guitar tone control circuits.

Anyway, changes of capacitance over time affect any capacitor's performance in any application.

The PIO thing indeed depends on the oil's chemistry in high voltage applications. Oils may have varying conductivities which can cause serious trouble there, but not in guitars. Losses due to conductive oil can be neglected in guitar tone control circuits.

Anyway, changes of capacitance over time affect any capacitor's performance in any application.

Of course, all this makes perfect sense.

I only posted that joking about their historic bumblebees with Wesco polypropylene cap's inside.

Sometimes the internet saves you money.

Almost ordered some a while ago.

I'm not sure but I think his pants might be on backwards.

[lol]

No doubt...

I 've been looking for a link to a video of Mr. Berry with Keith Richards, recording together. In the video Mr. Richards feels Mr. Berry's TONE is...shite...and tells him so, WHILE attempting to adjust Mr. Berry's amp settings. What ensues was IMO hysterical- and an example of the restraint Mr. Richards can have when wont to. I'll see if I can find it...

Brian

Because of this thread I stopped using my 7ender strap with my explorer because I realised it was giving me the 'single coil' effect. Switched to my Gibson strap and all is 'humbuckin' good now. Thanks to all. The wisdom of the Forum never ceases to amaze me!

I'm guessing this thread was started in jest.
It began innocently enough.....and then rct threw in the monkey wrench about the vintage plastic reproduction and it kind of snowballed from there.

In case you're wondering what rct was on about, this is from the spec page of the 2015 Historic LPs;

"True Historic Plastics: Molecular level analysis delivers authentic vintage design..."

[thumbup]

Pip.

In case you're wondering what rct was on about, this is from the spec page of the 2015 Historic LPs;

"True Historic Plastics: Molecular level analysis delivers authentic vintage design..."

[thumbup]

Pip.

Would be interesting though what that means for manufacturing and durability. Plastics typically age through loss of plasticisers and thus embrittle over the years. Do they use less plasticiser to achieve increased brittleness from the start?

Archived