Gibson Brands Forums

Leather Strap sound dynamics

skilsaw

But, are we talking "smooth leather" or "brushed leather?!" Sound waves=tone, will be effected differently,

by each, as well as how the extensions (if there is any) are looped, and how wide they are![flapper][biggrin]

CB

Suede, but always with the smooth side down.

The smooth side better transfers resonance to yer gut, while the suede side capture stray resonances from bouncing off your head.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

......but always with the smooth side down.

The smooth side better transfers resonance to yer gut, while the suede side capture stray resonances from bouncing off your head.

No this is completely the wrong way round.

The smooth or polished side should be UP so the early reflections are efficiently transferred to your ear with the correct phase differential, and the 'rough' side is down so any body movement, vibration, resonances farts etc are properly damped out.

Thus it is arguable that a 3" wide strap has thicker tone than a 2", of course allowing for differences in shoulder contour.

Some experts also say straplocks (if used) 'increase' tone by coupling guitar to strap more efficiently.

I ain't buying this whole plastics line, I mean how the hell can you expect to achieve Paul Kossoff's tone if you put a pick guard on your Les Paul.

Come on now!

Look, Gibson knows what they're doing and so does Bob Dylan. Just look at the sheer acreage of plastic he put on his signature model;

http://www.gibson.co...Players-Ed.aspx

Many scoffed and said the pick guard for beginners would kill the TONE but the proof is in the picking. Bob Knows TONE.

I rest my case.

Besides, it's a little known fact that Paul Kossoff kept his plastic pick guard down the front of his pants. He kept the guitar low so the input jack was in contact with the pick guard.

Look, Gibson knows what they're doing and so does Bob Dylan. Just look at the sheer acreage of plastic he put on his signature model;

http://www.gibson.co...Players-Ed.aspx

Many scoffed and said the pick guard for beginners would kill the TONE but the proof is in the picking. Bob Knows TONE.

I rest my case.

Besides, it's a little known fact that Paul Kossoff kept his plastic pick guard down the front of his pants. He kept the guitar low so the input jack was in contact with the pick guard.

You are also all missing another vital tone trick...

The curly cable... the fact that the sound has to travel round and round the curly bits gives your tone more groove :D

1b72967_zpscrcc4sb2.jpg

You are also all missing another vital tone trick...

The curly cable... the fact that the sound has to travel round and round the curly bits gives your tone more groove :D

1b72967_zpscrcc4sb2.jpg

Now this is a funny one, Rabs. Partly straight, partly curled - the best of both worlds! A win-win situation. :)

Trouble is, which way should you plug it in? If you put the curly end in the guitar jack, then when the signal reaches the straight bit it'll get confused and spiral off into the ether. Do it the other way around, and a signal that thinks it's on a nice straight path will become quite angry at being told to coil, and it'll throw a tantrum, stomp its foot petulantly, and pass straight between the coils, and lo, you've lost it again.

The moral is, respect your signal. It's a sensitive soul, so don't mix your curlies and straights.

Taking a look at the cable in question reveals that the positive half cycle will whirl as a clockwise vortex either way, the negative one as a counter-clockwise. Perhaps they should also offer cables curled the other way round? :rolleyes:

;)

Good point cap. But if they changed the direction of the coil then it would reverse the polarity of the pups. This is not to be recommended as it could result in a time paradox. Mind you, that might convert a 2015 Les Paul into a '58! Worth considering the risk then.

No offense to Vox but we all know that Gibson is the Home O' Tone.

With that expensive memory cable that Gibson recently came out with, do you think it remembers your TONE?

What if (God forbid!) you plugged in a 7edner, would it remember that rinky dink wimpy Strat noise and screw up your TONE? Perhaps there's a way to purge it?

...I have said this before - curly leads are EVIL....

Only the leads which curl in a counter-clockwise direction are evil as that is the way favoured by The Devil.

If you have curly leads which curl in a clockwise direction and you still have crap tone then, sadly, you are crap.

Hey; "Truth Hurts".

Pip.

Only the leads which curl in a counter-clockwise direction are evil as that is the way favoured by The Devil.

If you have curly leads which curl in a clockwise direction and you still have crap tone then, sadly, you are crap.

Hey; "Truth Hurts".

Pip.

It is an established fact that curly leads are evil and screw up your tone.

Despite the fact that Jimi was photographed many times with a curly lead. However this was an exception as He was a GOD and used curly leads only to demonstrate the ease with which he could overcome evil.

Don't say I didn't warn you. And I stand by my previous statement about early reflections off the shiny side.

Holy Shinolie!!!

According to this Gibson article, it's possible to possess TONE Breath!

The finish on older guitars is often significantly thinner, yielding a better tone. However, this means that vintage guitars are more vulnerable to the waxes, oils and silicates in polishing products. Vintage finishes are also more likely to be "checked." You want to avoid working any polish or water into these cracks. Instead, try placing your face close to your guitar and breathing warm, moist air onto the dirty spots. Then immediately wipe down your guitar.

... try placing your face close to your guitar and breathing warm, moist air onto the dirty spots. Then immediately wipe down your guitar.

[thumbup] As I already posted in the past, this is the only way of cleaning any guitar or bass regardless of finish, and I use very soft facial tissue for wiping down. Typical once wipes will cause scratches due to their comparatively rough fibres.

[thumbup] As I already posted in the past, this is the only way of cleaning any guitar or bass regardless of finish, and I use very soft facial tissue for wiping down. Typical once wipes will cause scratches due to their comparatively rough fibres.

Actually, you really SHOULD'NT use tissue, as it is abrasive to finishes that are smooth.

Or your glasses. Spectacles that is. Not drinking glasses.

I could be wrong of corse, but you know.

I don't think it matters in the long run too much, but I think if it ain't good enough for spectacles and lenses, it ain't good enough for a guitar. But then again, my guitars, the "old" ones anyway, it would be silly to be concerned...as if anyone could tell the difference.

Why not just use some chic cosmetics? Some highlighter, blusher...

Like putting lipstick on your rig.

Why not just use some chic cosmetics? Some highlighter, blusher...

Like putting lipstick on your rig.

Or some kohl. Keith Richards uses it for his eyes only, but Grace Potter had some put on the pickguard of her signature Flying V. The fretboard has an eyeliner, uh, binding, too: [biggrin]

DSVGPNOCH1-Finish-Shot.jpg

qBwQ.jpg

Archived