Gibson Brands Forums

Leather Strap sound dynamics

skilsaw

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The edge-binding will affect the tone a bit, but the border to the scratch-plate will make it worse. However the biggest problem will be the two pup switches. Not the switches themselves, but the extra hole needed. A tone nightmare! Remove the extra switch, re-wire the guitar, and then fill in the hole in the scratch-plate with a good quality resin filler. Maybe you can then get some killer tone back, but the damage may already be too bad. :(

I know the secret to the curly cable vs. straight cable debate. It depends on your hair type. If you have curly hair you use a straight cable. If you have straight hair you use a curly cable.

If you have straight hair and perm it, or have curly hair and straighten it, or if you have no hair, you use this one.

1b72967_zpscrcc4sb2.jpg

The edge-binding will affect the tone a bit, but the border to the scratch-plate will make it worse. However the biggest problem will be the two pup switches. Not the switches themselves, but the extra hole needed. A tone nightmare! Remove the extra switch, re-wire the guitar, and then fill in the hole in the scratch-plate with a good quality resin filler. Maybe you can then get some killer tone back, but the damage may already be too bad. :(

What extra switch? [confused]

You'd probably want to whittle down one of Gibson's plastic TONE knobs on a lathe and cram it in the hole.

Brilliant solution! Love it! Keeps it 'all Gibson', and will undoubtedly work perfectly.

Sorry guys, I think you talk about an imaginary hole left by removing a non-existing switch. The Grace Potter Signature Flying V's electronics seem to be the same as with other Flying Vs.

That extra hole is actually the input jack but the way some people play, filling it up with a hunk of plastic may not be such a bad idea.

I saw The Plasmatics in NYC many years ago and the high point of the show (for me, at least) was when the lead guitarist accidentally unplugged his Flying V and then kept wailing away for another 30 seconds before he noticed anything was amiss. I gave him a derisive cheer when the big oaf stooped over to retrieve the errant guitar cord, ha, ha.

Wendy O. was really entertaining as well. Gotta love a woman who dresses in electrical tape.

It's a well-known fact that removing a non-existant switch is the best way to improve tone. [biggrin]

Sorry - it was late at night and the angle she was holding it at looked like another switch to me! I am very old, and my eyesight has gone south, like the rest of me (including my common-sense!). Who is Grace Potter anyway?

Archived