Gibson Brands Forums

NAD

Stu-bud

Just acquired this '67 Super Reverb. I am in love. It weighs a ton, and I nearly threw out my back bringing it in to my house from the car, but it is a keeper.

It's all original, save for the tubes and the bottom 2 speakers, which are an as yet unidentified pair of old black frame ceramic magnet speakers. The solder on the wire connections looks pretty old, so they've been there a while.

IMG_1298_zps7xoh27iq.jpg

Great score! And as I said last week, I still have mine and a Twin ..... and the compression fractures I aquired in a lifetime of hauling them around. Those days are gone. Be careful, but enjoy playing some lead guitar!

I had a chance a one of these when I was a senior in High school and I could have gotten it for a song, and I passed on it for some thing stupid that I don't even remember what it was... at the time I had a monster Acoustic 150 head and a 4x12 cab... which looking back,, sounded like A$$ most of the time..

youth is wasted on the young

Congrats! enjoy it.

I had a chance a one of these when I was a senior in High school and I could have gotten it for a song, and I passed on it for some thing stupid that I don't even remember what it was... at the time I had a monster Acoustic 150 head and a 4x12 cab... which looking back,, sounded like A$$ most of the time..

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yeah me too, amongst some other gems. I'm laughing because I should be cryin.

rct

Great amps those ARE.

If you post a pic of the back, we might be able to identify those speakers for ya.

I understand that speakers are pretty important for those, and lots of, well, not debate, but talk about which are better and which some prefer in those. They came with different speakers "new", depending on when it was made, and what they had to put in them.

If memory serves and my knowledge was ever correct, I think in '67, the stock speakers would have been CTS or Oxford.

I'll be damned though, I don't remember which had the reputation as being "better" or more desirable.

Funny thing about these amps, they have a stellar reputation for sounding great, but yet, most don't have good things to say about the speakers. Which is a real-life contradiction.

While it's just my opinion, I think both the CTS and Oxfords from that time are as good as the revered Jensens, although all 3 do sound different to each other.

Having said that, it's actually possible the replaced bottom speakers MIGHT be as good, or better, or more "desirable".

Good for you! Outstanding amps! i had a 1970 with CTS speakers. Of course, i sold it (poor, dumb me). But at almost 75 pounds I didn't tote it far and wide. I remember one outdoor gig for some vets at a local Legion. One of the few outdoor gigs I did with that band- got to crank it up and man, talk about sweet overdrive! (Where is that "angels singing" icon when I need it?)

Does your have any old tubes? In mine there were an old RCA and I had replaced the power tubes with NOS Philips / JAN s .

Got yourself a very nice piece there, congrats!

BTW- one of my favorite contemporary bluesmen, Tinsley Ellis, uses one I believe is the same year as yours...

Brian

Big and loud! [thumbup] Great tone if you can wind them up a bit. I hear they take pedals really well too.

I'll tell you what else they take well: just about any guitar you can plug into it.

And THIS baby will DEFINITELY make it obvious if you plug a good guitar into it.

You know, like a real Gibson. (Most, that is).

Archived