Gibson Brands Forums

2016 Hummingird Vintage

jw3571

What are people's thoughts on the the new HB Vintage? I doubt many people have had a chance to play one. The price seems a little steep but I am somewhat intrigued. I just bought a 1934 OJ Reissue, how do people feel the HB Vintage would compare. I also used to have a MC Hummingbird, would the new vintage have more of a dry sound than that since it has the Thermo top?

BOOM, and I'm here. :) What do you want to know about it? I traded in about 15 years' worth of junk I had lying around and got one. I would not have been able to purchase one outright, I don't think, and I would have been just as happy with a standard Hummingbird, which is fantastic. However, I had the currency with the trade-ins, and I liked it enough more.

if I'd been buying it with cash, would I have saved up more to get the Vintage vs. the regular? The world may never know. They were both fantastic. The Standard needed to be played and broken-in to really be judged. However, they are structurally different (think True Vintage vs Standard/MC), and then there is the addition of the wild card, torrefication of the sitka spruce top. It does make it sound older and more vintage. It does not make it sound exactly like a vintage guitar by any means (maybe if you torrefied the entire guitar), but it does give it that vibe.

I've got a few sound clips I posted in a thread here somewhere.

I don't see it as much different than the old discussions about True Vintage vs. Modern Classic. Now it's just Vintage vs. Standard. And torrefaction thrown into the mix. (It is not all hide glue construction or anything, but I don't think they were using hide glue anymore in the '60s anyway. That said, the Vintage is not braced the way they were bracing in the '60s. I think the Vintage is the best Hummingbird ever made. I think the Hummingbird Standard is the 2nd best, and some might say the True Vintage is second best instead.)

Archived