Gibson Brands Forums

Southern Jumbo gurus... for a approx year.

slimt

No prize here... but would like to know...

block gold letters Gibson ( Peghead) Bound board , Large guard.. and in a sunburst.. belly up bridge... Round shoulder.. any examples on the board here?

were all 60s versions square shouldered?

Thank you.

The pearl inlaid block logo and accompanying pearl inlaid (or, more correctly, mother of toilet seat) began in 1956. The silkscreen lasted through to 1955. (ish.)

So the gold silkscreen without a crown, and not in MoTS, suggests pre-56. The bridge is a replacement. The top looks refinned. Large guard would date to 1955. Tuners are incorrect for a '50s, correct for a '60s, I think. KSDaddy is right: the transition to square shoulders was 1962 (ish).

Fred

Somebody finally noted the 19 frets which is the real give away. That and the pickguard indicate early 1955. As Gibson did not change specs at the stroke of midnight on January 1 you will see a mixture of features. About two years ago I was looking at a 1955 (based on the FON) J-160E that retained the solid top and 19 frets. I have also run across 1955 Gibsons with the large pickguard and 20 frets but which had scalloped bracing.

The guitar should have an FON on the neck block which would clear it all up.

The burst looks right to me. Here is a '56 SJ (the tuners are not original to the guitar) that lived with me for a lot of years. The finish looks very similar.

41968735-4c54-4755-ae6f-f2562c79a452_zpscc3079ed.jpg

Archived