Gibson Brands Forums

Repair advise

NHTom

Just was browsing through a guitar site and saw all kinds of cups/containers/etc for holding parts while you are working on a guitar.

Just thought I'd share a handy little tip for this............

I've worked for years as a boat/snowmobile mechanic and what I use on motors would also work great for a guitar work bench............

NO LAUGHING.............Muffin Tins........lol.

Watch yard sales, junk shops, etc for the antique metal muffin tins...I've got them in six and twelve "cup" types for around one dollar usually. Could probably get the disposable ones cheap too.

They work great for taking things apart.........as in "pickguard screws go in the first cup", "pickup mount screws and springs in the next", etc.

also, if you are fortunate to have a designated "work bench" you can stack them so everything for one guitar stays in one tray, the next guitar in the other, etc.

Just a little tip for the do it yourselfers.......feel free to add.

NHTom

Sounds like a good idea. [thumbup]

When I work on a pedal, I always put the baseplate screws in the flipped over baseplate.

Also I use little plastic tubs from butter, sour cream, salad dressing, etc as catch all bins. One is for trash (tiny bits of wire etc) and one is for larger, possibly reusable reusable bits of wire.

IMG_5576.jpg

Very good advice. VERY GOOD ADVICE. [thumbup] [thumbup]

As someone who has not always done this and suffered the consequences in the past (time spent grovelling on the floor looking for tiny screws etc) I can really recommend it - a necessity, don't even think about taking your guitar/pedal/whatever apart without a box or tin to put the screws in.

Having several boxes for the parts in order of assembly is even better.

It seems like a small finicky thing until something drops and you have to find it or else...... [crying] [crying]

Very good advice. VERY GOOD ADVICE. [thumbup] [thumbup]

As someone who has not always done this and suffered the consequences in the past (time spent grovelling on the floor looking for tiny screws etc) I can really recommend it - a necessity, don't even think about taking your guitar/pedal/whatever apart without a box or tin to put the screws in. Having several boxes with parts in order of assembly is even better.

It seems like a small finicky thing until something drops and you have to find it or else...... [crying] [crying]

Yes. That drop a screw on the floor feeling is dreadful.

These are some great ideas and advise.

Whenever I work on anything... guitar, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner etc. , I always find myself looking for screws, nuts, washers, springs and other parts down in the carpet, grass, couch etc.... maybe some of these suggestions will save me some frustration

But then, I'm the guy who plays guitar and puts it down to go get a drink and comes back and can't find my pick that I just had in my hand 10 seconds ago. [cursing]

These are some great ideas and advise.

Whenever I work on anything... guitar, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner etc. , I always find myself looking for screws, nuts, washers, springs and other parts down in the carpet, grass, couch etc.... maybe some of these suggestions will save me some frustration

But then, I'm the guy who plays guitar and puts it down to go get a drink and comes back and can't find my pick that I just had in my hand 10 seconds ago. [cursing]

Picks are OK.............no one knows where those things go!!!!

NHTom

Archived