Gibson Brands Forums

What phone are you using?

LarryUK

I went to look at some new phones yesterday as I fancy the new Samsung Galaxy Edge plus. But when I tried it in-store, the home button was loose and rattled. So I Googled it and there seems to be a problem with the new Samsung home button. It goes loose and rattles. So. Who's up to date with tech and what have you got? I'm waiting for the new LG G4 pro to come out as I've got a G2 now. I went off Apple, but the new iPhone 6s plus look OK.

I despise Apple but until they stop making the iPhone I'll probably be slinging that around.

It's reliable, relatively safe, has VPN right off the bat and works great with network diagnostic tools/VNC/VMware/RDP/etc.

Company provides my phone so I don't really think about how overpriced they may be. There are perks to some of the other makers but I just need the phone to run flawlessly and perform the above applications with no hiccups.

As far as the phablets, I just can't do them. Too large to fit comfortably in my pockets with a protective case, and I'm not wearing a clip on my belt.

I look at them as mainly purse phones, they're so large that I think it looks a little ridiculous when these tiny women slap them up to their ear.

This is all my opinion, if you like other makers or a phablet it doesn't make a difference to me. Use what works for you.

I've been using a hand-me-down iPhone 4 for about 2-1/2 years. Never a blip of a problem until lately...sometimes when I'm in a call, my ear will hit a key. BEEEEEEEP. Not supposed to DO that, I know, but it does. I'm just waiting for it to breathe it's last but that may be a while. I have another one identical with a broken screen I'm considering having repaired and kept for a backup until I jump into 2015 or 2016.

My stepdaughter has a Samsung Galaxy S5 (I think). I've watched videos on it and it's practically like watching HD tv in the living room. And it's LOUD. My wife has an LG something or other and she likes it too.

My ONLY reason to not get another iPhone is iTunes itself. I'd like to just have a %*+$# MP3 player on there without having to deal with the iTunes program. I hate it! Not intuitive at all.

I'd like to just have a %*+$# MP3 player on there without having to deal with the iTunes program. I hate it! Not intuitive at all.

I've been enjoying an app called Groove. It auto-creates playlists. It's not the best ever, but I prefer it to iTunes most of the time.

Im using a Sony Xperia Z2... and its a good phone... has a 20mp camera which is really good, its waterproof and its built rock solid.. I mean really.. This is the slimmest phone ive ever had and ive probably dropped it more times in the last year and a half than all of my other phones ive owned since the late 90s...

Also the battery life is really good.. Its a year and a half old and I only charge it every other day, I use it all day long as an MP3 player and as a camera to take pics of my builds...

So yeah.. So far my only complaint is maybe its a bit too slim and slick as I keep dropping the poor thing :)

Ive decided I want a smaller phone next time...

I still miss my old Samsung clamshell phone, I love the clamshell design, I feel like im using an original Star Trek communicator :D.. (apparently they do smartphone versions now).

One of these

30547546-2-440-front-2_zps7rxc9onx.gif

Apart from that I think all phones are fairly similar these days (well smart phones) black triangular things that all have the same sort of functionally... I usually pick one for the camera as I use it all the time.

I have a old flip style phone that I use.

It's small enough that I can stick it in my front pocket. Nobody is gonna steal it either. I refuse to give Verizon 10 more cents than I spend on that piece of crap all ready.

I don't want to text people, I don't need access to the net, nor apps.

When people call and ask me were I am, I say mind your own business. :D

Give a good hard look at a Galaxy S5. Waterproof, nice large screen, great camera (still like my REAL lens camera better than any phone) upgradable memory, fast, & I like how you can transfer data fast via bluetooth & a swap feature. I found a shatter glass screen protector ($7) and a soft clear case protector ($9) on Amazon(both Case Armor I believe). It works for me with all the technology apps I have to use for clients. Setting up IP video cameras, working their lighting control systems & automation, and network management devices I have to monitor all day. Oh BTW, 1st smart phone that I would give [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] for the DAMN PHONE function too!! The others that I've had to use or have people call me on don't do it for me with voice quality. It's voice to text works better than I thought it would. I have found I need to restart the phone about every 3 days to keep that working great. No big deal. Now I turn my phone off at night so I don't hear it ring when I'm sleeping so that issue was solved easy. [biggrin]

Aster

my wife and kids all use the s5 galaxy. so far they're all trouble free. before that we had older galaxy phones, and didn't have very many problems. i have a note 3. i really like it alot, except for 2 things

1) touch screen is more sensitive than i'd like. there's no way to see sensitize it. you can only increase sensitivity

2) when i bought it, i didn't really consider how the size might negatively impact my experience. i love the bigger screen for games and apps, but in my pocket, while wearing a safety harness, it feels like a big screen tv.

3)not exclusive to samsung, no one else does this either, but i'd like a way to lock my settings so they can't be changed by accident

An advantage with iphones is the plethora of music software and hardware available , that is, guitar apps and gear sims. A relatively simple cheap interface will give you in/ out, and they are remarkably good. The main one I play around with is Amplitube. Check it out. I've also got some automated rythm/ drum apps to play along with. Lots of em out there.

Apple iPhone 6+ for me, at the moment. Soon to be the 6S+, as I'm on a 1 year contract. I've been using iPhone for a few years now, and can't really fault them. I use Apple technology in other aspects; I've got a Mac, too; I like the way it all hangs together and works in unison. I'm not one that can't see the merits in other technologies; I just like my little tech world the way of the fruit; so I'd say go with what you like.

I don't get people that hate Apple and its' products; you can give any reason for your position you like, but hating a company that hasn't personally jilted you in some deeply personal, horrifying way, is nothing short of bizarre.

I've also got a Nokia Lumia 630 (I think) as a work phone.

Archived