Gibson Brands Forums

Where the neck meets the edge binding...............

vanbuxton

On my LP this isn't flush. Hard to explain but effectively the neck is very slightly wider than the width of the fretboard and binding, hence there is a slight step.

It's on both the top and bottom of the neck.

This is the 2nd LP I've owned but the last one was along time ago. Even so, I don't remember it being a "feature" on my 1st one!

Yes Bobv.

The fretboard runs horizontal and then the edge rolls over perpendicular (swallowed a dictionary there!) into the neck binding (5mm or so). This then steps out slightly as it becomes the neck (painted/laquered on mine being Ebony).

As I say, it's not an issue and it's not prominent enough to stand out. Just wondered if it's a normal feature.

I wasn't signed on on your first 5 posts, so welcome to the LP Forum! Now about your neck oddity. It sounds like you're saying that the combined widths of both pieces of binding with the fingerboard is still more narrow than the width of the mahogony neck that they nest upon. If this is true, it's kind of hard to say, but it could either a problem with the width of the binding (which might be multiplied X 2 if both pieces are too narrow), the fingerboard, or the neck being too wide. Also, if the neck slot in the body were cut too wide, the neck may have been left too wide to fill the void.

I would guess that the neck slot would normally be kind of small for a tight fit, and so that a little material could be removed in case the particular neck would be a little wide. If this slot were cut too wide, it would allow for very little material to be removed from the neck. If little material were removed from the neck, then the neck width might never be narrow enough for a flush fit with the binding at the neck edges.

It's not easy to say without actually seeing the process at the factory. It could be that the width dimensions of both binding & fingerboard were on the narrow side of tolerance, and the neck slot in the body was on the wide side of tolerance. Who knows, if the width of the neck had been taken down to match the combined width of the fingerboard & binding, the slot in the body might still have been narrow enough for a tight fit.

Now, after all the unverified crap I just spouted, it really doesn't matter if you still like the way your axe plays, sounds & looks. Does this "step" bother your left hand when playing? If you don't like it, I wonder if it is still in warranty?

Archived