Gibson Brands Forums

The official AUDIOPHILE thread.

stein

Tunes are back!

Since I have the whole house to myself now, I decided to move downstairs, thus, TWO systems set up? So, I put on my list, a second tuner.

Found a Sansui TU-777. Quite cool looking. Round dial!

Hooked it up downstairs, using a NAK cassette deck for a pre-amp/volume control, and FINALLY have some tunes. No CD player, no record player, but I don'y have any records and only a few CD's anyway.

The new (old) tuner needs some work. Light don't work on the dial, scratchy pots. etc. But, it seems to be working properly.

I thought this tuner, being old, would "warm up" the sound a bit, the stereo having a more detailed rather than "full" sound, but it doesn't. I forgot what a Sansui tuner sounds like. BUT: one thing about Sansui tuners: they DO bring in the stations extremely well, clean, and have a lot more detail and finesse than one would expect, ESPECIALLY for such an old tuner.

The stereo, having been asleep for a year or more, is actually starting to "break in", so to speak. It's getting warmer and deeper, probably a result of the detail coming through in the bass.

It's starting to boogie.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought klipsch RP- 280f resently, sounds really cool.

Drive them with a Hegel H-200 amp.

Have Rega RP3 turntable and Cambridge Blueray/cd player azur 752Bd

And a Hegel DAC

Sounds decent, but i'm dreaming of a high end tube amp.

Have been to two Hi-Fi messes this year, Munchen and Warsaw.

A friend of my is really hooked on the high end stuff, i was in for the trip.

Was really cool on both messes.

In Munchen they had a system with theater speakers from 1930(western eletric), played with a 5w tube amp.

Sounded glorious!!!

I bought klipsch RP- 280f resently, sounds really cool.

Drive them with a Hegel H-200 amp.

Have Rega RP3 turntable and Cambridge Blueray/cd player azur 752Bd

And a Hegel DAC

Sounds decent, but i'm dreaming of a high end tube amp.

Have been to two Hi-Fi messes this year, Munchen and Warsaw.

A friend of my is really hooked on the high end stuff, i was in for the trip.

Was really cool on both messes.

In Munchen they had a system with theater speakers from 1930(western eletric), played with a 5w tube amp.

Sounded glorious!!!

Never heard of Hagel, but kinda familiar with the rest.

I USED to have a pair of Quicksilvers, so I know the tube amp thing. I was spoiled. Now, with little money, I'm happy to have what I have.

We all get used to listening to something. Whatever "faults" a system has, it's easy to forget once we get used to it, start playing music.

I'll bet that Rega really sounds good. The RB-300 arm on that is literally one of the best arms ever made.

I must be cursed.

The TU-777 I just set-up has stopped playing in stereo. Sheesh.

No worries...brought down the Denon TU-800 I had in the non-working, not-fixed-yet stereo from upstairs. Wanted to compare anyway.

I got to say, the Old Sansui sounds better than the digital Denon, even in mono. And as far as pulling in stations and getting a good, clear signal, the Denon ain't no slouch.

Some years ago when we were both making good money we invested in a nice system, which we still have.

Harmon Kardon receiver and amp, a 5 disc H&K CD turntable, there's also a Marantz tape deck which I need to get rid of. I am running a pair if Mordaunt & Short MS40's, bi wired as speakers. (Pair of MS10's on the TV.)

My hearing is stuffed now and so I'm happy streaming music via a bluetooth adaptor using Pandora these days. I haven't played a CD for years in actual fact.

Hi Stein,

That old NAD 3020 had one of the better sounding pre-amps & really a ballzy power amp section to boot. Any hum when you hook up the 3020 to just the speakers & no source to the NAD? In my past life (mid-late 70's) we had a very esoteric audio salon in DM. Audio Research, Acoustat Electrostatic speakers, Infinity speakers (when they were great), Dahlquist spkers, Conrad Johnson etc. I had a "BIG" system & my little system. My little system, a NAD 7020 (3020 w/ a tuner receiver version), Dahlquist studio Monitor spks, and a Thorens Turntable w/Moving Coil Cartridge sounded VERY excellent. Didn't sound like the big stuff (even then that system was nearly $25k) however, but dang fantastic and really MORE bang for the buck than the big system for sure.

If you have an AC volt meter, check ground to ground on the devices to see if any AC (and that would be the source of the 60hz hum). I just hooked up a rather expensive Marantz AVR in an equip. rack. When I hooked up the sub-woofer via 30' of RG6 coax I had a big issue. 1st disconnected the powered subwoofer and had the connector in hand 1 and hand 2 touched the rack. Wham, took 120v thru the heart and I found the problem. The sub power amp had ac leakage to ground and nailed the hell out of me.

The old Sheffield Labs direct to disk LP's and most all the Japanese & European LP's sounded better than the USA versions due to using virgin vinyl. USA was directed to recycle (even in the late 70's) and were grinding up old LP's label & all and reusing. Also, the mastering on the Direct to disks were top notch. Sometimes the program material was the lacking feature however IMHO. Telarc was a great label and also much excellent classical LP's.

Aster

I'm still enjoying mine daily....CDs and vinyl.

Got the DAT fixed recently and am archiving lots of FM radio concerts I recorded on DAT to computer >wav.>CD.

Still have tons of cassettes but in some sort of cosmic coincidence now my Sony cassette player has gone down too and must be fixed.....

Recorded sound....such an incredible lifetime pleasure and inspiration....

Hi Stein,

That old NAD 3020 had one of the better sounding pre-amps & really a ballzy power amp section to boot. Any hum when you hook up the 3020 to just the speakers & no source to the NAD?

Aster

It only hums when connected to a source, like a tuner with interconnect cables attacthed. Doesn't hum when no cables connected, or when cables are connected and hanging loose with nothing attached.

As you may remember, the connections for the amp are on a separate section on the back, with the RCA's pointing "up". I haven't had it apart yet, but they seem to be sorta press-fit types or have "legs" that would solder to a board. Since as long as I can remember, some of the RCA's have been loose, and seemed to always require wiggling to get them to work.

I'm 90% sure this is where the problem is, and it acts like a loose ground would act, as I would expect a component without a ground connected would find a path to ground, and thus, hum like it's saying, "fix me already!"

Either way, doesn't make sense to diagnose further until this is checked and fixed. If it don't work, THEN I'll apply more brain-power.

However....the Sansui...took it out of the case to get the bulbs out so as to get to the rat-shack and get new. Only problem is, they are actually little BULBS (literally. look like regular screw-in light bulbs, except only an inch big) that are soldered. So I think I kinda need to find out what the spec is on them, sinse I can't read anything.

It only hums when connected to a source, like a tuner with interconnect cables attacthed. Doesn't hum when no cables connected, or when cables are connected and hanging loose with nothing attached.

As you may remember, the connections for the amp are on a separate section on the back, with the RCA's pointing "up". I haven't had it apart yet, but they seem to be sorta press-fit types or have "legs" that would solder to a board. Since as long as I can remember, some of the RCA's have been loose, and seemed to always require wiggling to get them to work.

I'm 90% sure this is where the problem is, and it acts like a loose ground would act, as I would expect a component without a ground connected would find a path to ground, and thus, hum like it's saying, "fix me already!"

Either way, doesn't make sense to diagnose further until this is checked and fixed. If it don't work, THEN I'll apply more brain-power.

However....the Sansui...took it out of the case to get the bulbs out so as to get to the rat-shack and get new. Only problem is, they are actually little BULBS (literally. look like regular screw-in light bulbs, except only an inch big) that are soldered. So I think I kinda need to find out what the spec is on them, sinse I can't read anything.

What year would you reckon the 3020 you have was made? We sold out the store in 1982 & I went back into the corp. world for Philips Lighting for a few years.

Yeah if they wiggle I would think cracking the case would be the answer with a dropped ground on the inputs.

Aster

Can't remember on the Sansui products. We were all snobs back then and thought only the box store & PXes sold that brand. [biggrin] Those lamps must be low voltage I would bet on. Maybe 12-24 volt incandescents. Tube shape (like a car side indicator) or bulb shaped?

I maybe didn't read you post correctly with the hum as you should still be able to isolate which input was causing it. No old turntable around that you could connect up to the phono amp section with external ground wire?

Aster

Those lamps must be low voltage I would bet on. Maybe 12-24 volt incandescents. Tube shape (like a car side indicator) or bulb shaped?

I maybe didn't read you post correctly with the hum as you should still be able to isolate which input was causing it. No old turntable around that you could connect up to the phono amp section with external ground wire?

Aster

Off to rat-shack to get 6.3 volt bulbs, which I THINK might be right, according to a quick search on the net. (6.3V250ML? 6.3 ATA?)?

Closest I could find was a thread about TU-555 bulbs- same era as TU-777.

I;ll be lucky to get a little incandescent at all. 12 volt shouldn't hurt?

Well, I found a cleaner NAD amp for a really good price and decided to buy it, it is a 7250 model which has an additional input (AUX) so my wife is happy that she can plug in her phone and play music through it.

These amps sound phenomenal, even MP3's compressed at 192kbps sound really nice through these amps.

I still have not upgraded speakers but having connected a subwoofer has made the setup sound really nice.

Off to rat-shack to get 6.3 volt bulbs, which I THINK might be right, according to a quick search on the net. (6.3V250ML? 6.3 ATA?)?

Closest I could find was a thread about TU-555 bulbs- same era as TU-777.

I;ll be lucky to get a little incandescent at all. 12 volt shouldn't hurt?

If it's really supplying 6v then a 12v lamp will be 50% less light approx. But will last about 400% longer. Often they did this to allow a 750hr lamp to last 5000hr or more.

If you run into trouble try to contact ATR Lighting http://www.atrlighting.com/ in Missouri. Lot's of old/odd miniature low voltage lamps for indicators and such.

Aster

What?

If the what is about my post on Stein's bulb (really called lamps) then if you run a lamp that's filament is set to achieve rated lumen output at 12 volts on say 6 volts it is like being on a dimmer so to speak. It is less light output (like when the battery wears down on the flashlight, and it lasts longer due to less filament fatigue. This is done to have a glow for the receiver tuner dial & last a really long time between lamp change outs.

If that isn't what the "what" was about, then Never mind my babble. [biggrin]

Aster

If it's really supplying 6v then a 12v lamp will be 50% less light approx. But will last about 400% longer. Often they did this to allow a 750hr lamp to last 5000hr or more.

If you run into trouble try to contact ATR Lighting http://www.atrlighting.com/ in Missouri. Lot's of old/odd miniature low voltage lamps for indicators and such.

Aster

I found exactly what I was needing...6.3 volt. Although, I was in a hurry looking on the web, and not too sure it's right.

I don't know if the stereo bulb is even bad. It was working when I plugged it in, and went on and off when tuning or switching to and from stereo to mono, then it stopped. I am hoping it's the bulb, but I can't hear any difference between stereo and mono.

There is a "Balance" knob on the back...also, seems to do nothing. Next to it, the "Output level" was real scratchy, and had to turn multiple times to get it to work, and get both channels (left and right) working.

As for the bulbs: the dial is dark..burnt out bulbs, obviously. So I needed bulbs anyway.

So, I'll blow the excessive dust off the rear by the vents, check and change the bulbs, clean the outside and see where it's at.

Some years ago when we were both making good money we invested in a nice system, which we still have.

Harmon Kardon receiver and amp, a 5 disc H&K CD turntable, there's also a Marantz tape deck which I need to get rid of. I am running a pair if Mordaunt & Short MS40's, bi wired as speakers. (Pair of MS10's on the TV.)

My hearing is stuffed now and so I'm happy streaming music via a bluetooth adaptor using Pandora these days. I haven't played a CD for years in actual fact.

I remember those HK CD players...not really all that bad, comparatively. Good enough to sound WAY better than an MP3 file.

Those M&S speakers, I'm surprised you have those there. We get those here, but they are a little on the spendy side.

Hi Stein,

That old NAD 3020 had one of the better sounding pre-amps & really a ballzy power amp section to boot.

Aster

What year would you reckon the 3020 you have was made? We sold out the store in 1982 & I went back into the corp. world for Philips Lighting for a few years.

Aster

Well, I found a cleaner NAD amp for a really good price and decided to buy it, it is a 7250 model which has an additional input (AUX) so my wife is happy that she can plug in her phone and play music through it.

These amps sound phenomenal, even MP3's compressed at 192kbps sound really nice through these amps.

The 3020? I have no idea when it was made. I always had the impression it was the "one" that put NAD on the map. Had quite a rep.

The one I got, I got used. It has actually been modded by a company that would take them, and add a switch to turn off the power amp, thus making it a full-on Pre-amp (supposed to work better eliminating noise from the power amp, and taking using the full power supply), and also a switch that disconnects the tone controls.

But as a pre-amp? meh. Just OK, but for sure, the weak link. Not worth seeking one out to use as such. But, as a little integrated, and small amp, it's an absolute gem. Sounds smooth and full, kinda fluffy, but still has more detail and "fidelity" than typical SS recievers and small amps. Much less hashy than other stuff in the same league, so to speak.

Having said that, while the 3020 has the "rep", all the other little NAD integrateds have the same qualities, and some even better. I might even say the 7xxx series is/was my favorite, if I remember right.

Can't remember on the Sansui products. We were all snobs back then and thought only the box store & PXes sold that brand.

Aster

While old stuff is usually better than new stuff these days, the Sansui stuff wasn't really..well, not really "up there" with the best.

However, through the years, the tuners have gained quite a rep and a following. In fact, they are credited with making the best "AM" tuner, I think it's the 9900.

Anyway, the reason they are so sought after is the tuner part itself is up there with the best, and many of them are a good basis for mods to the audio section, thus making an "audiophile" quality tuner out of them. And also, it's sometimes good to have a Sansui for just the AM, as many top quality tuners are FM only.

I've been lucky to have some great tuners in my life. Haven't actually owned a Magnum Dynalab, but Iv'e owned an Accuphase T-101, a Tandburg 3001, as well as a few Sansui's and others. The Sansui stuff I had actually sounded as good as the lesser Magnum Dynalab stuff, tuned stations as well as anything (although I haven't tried them in problem areas), and was always an upgrade to the tuners in any receiver I had in sound and tuning(although, again, only compared to cheap receivers).

The jury is still out on this one. As far as I know, this (the TU-777) is the earliest in the line of "good" or "OK" tuners from them. So far, it beats the pants off the Denon TU-800 digital tuner here.

Can't remember on the Sansui products. We were all snobs back then and thought only the box store & PXes sold that brand. [biggrin] Those lamps must be low voltage I would bet on. Maybe 12-24 volt incandescents. Tube shape (like a car side indicator) or bulb shaped?

Aster

I don't know if the stereo bulb is even bad. It was working when I plugged it in, and went on and off when tuning or switching to and from stereo to mono, then it stopped. I am hoping it's the bulb, but I can't hear any difference between stereo and mono.

There is a "Balance" knob on the back...also, seems to do nothing. Next to it, the "Output level" was real scratchy, and had to turn multiple times to get it to work, and get both channels (left and right) working.

As for the bulbs: the dial is dark..burnt out bulbs, obviously. So I needed bulbs anyway.

So, I'll blow the excessive dust off the rear by the vents, check and change the bulbs, clean the outside and see where it's at.

Got the Sansui working.

Damn I'm good. Well, lucky anyway.

Blew out, and brushed, LOTS of dust, the stereo light came on. Also, turns out the reason I couldn't hear stereo vs mono was the "separation" control was just too dirty.

Everything works, but needs adjustment. Seems shaky. But, hey, all the lights work, the pots and switches work, and off we go.

I bought a Sansui R-99Z back in '82 and used to sit and see how many FM stations it would pull in. I wrote it all down - well over 100 stations.

Some of it depended on the weather because at different times it would pick up different stations on the same frequencies.

It was not unusual to get FM stations 150-200 miles away with just the little built in antenna on the back. They had the Phase-Locked Loop technology needle pegged.

It needs a volume pot and the on/off switch got pushed into the case, thanks to my wife, but still works great otherwise. I'm getting around the power switch by using a Sansui Program Timer a friend gave me.

The receiver's only drawback is a limited number of inputs: Phono, Aux, and Tape 1, on the rear, with Tape 2 in/out on the front.

It's always been run through a pair of late '70s Pioneer Centrex speakers which sounded excellent until my toddler pressed the woofer dome in on one.

LPs have always been played on a lowly BIC 981 with the addition of an Empire LTD-400 cartridge. I've needed a new cartridge for years so it hasn't seen use for a long time.

I also picked up a used JVC linear tracking turntable cheap that's never been hooked up - it needs a cartridge also. My crap dual-cassette deck crapped out a long time ago.

None of this stuff was anywhere near top of the line but it works together beautifully. My step-dad's Kenwood amp and Bose speaker system was only negligibly better and cost a small fortune.

I found a great resource for turntable DIY and parts and such. Here is a link to their library of free online Manuals, etc.

Vinyl Engine

If the what is about my post on Stein's bulb (really called lamps) then if you run a lamp that's filament is set to achieve rated lumen output at 12 volts on say 6 volts it is like being on a dimmer so to speak. It is less light output (like when the battery wears down on the flashlight, and it lasts longer due to less filament fatigue. This is done to have a glow for the receiver tuner dial & last a really long time between lamp change outs.

If that isn't what the "what" was about, then Never mind my babble. [biggrin]

Aster

No the what was cause I couldn't hear well…. [rolleyes]

Stein, I found another site for HiFi equipment with some manuals and schematics. You have to register but whatever documents they have are free. I found the service manual for mine.

Here is the schematic for your Sansui:

Sansui TU-777

Thanks. That may come in handy.

I'm remembering a "mod" I did once to an old receiver. I used to often upgrade or replace RCA connectors, and at one point noticed the rotary switch had a screw that acted as a stop, thus the switch had 5 positions but was only using 3.

Archived