Gibson Brands Forums

Are a Hummingbird and J45 or OJ Too Similar?

jw3571

To my ear, not too much over lap - I would love to fall into the right deal on the right bird to add to my modest herd. I have 3 Gibsons, that to some folks would seem like total clones of each other - the J-50 (a natural color J-45) a J-45 TV, and a J-45 Legend. Same woods, same scale length, and all different enough that it makes total sense to keep them all right now.

I agree that the bird sings quite different.

When I got my Martin D35, I really felt guilty and thought I should ditch a guitar. I was tossing around my SJ or my Bird. the SJ went, whose departure I regretted, so I added the J45 back. Enough of my problems.

Their tones are similar, especially if you fingerpick in my experience. But when you strum, the difference is much greater. Your slopes will get louder over time. I don't think your bird will as much. It will always remain a sweet mellow singing guitar.

Get it!

Enabling Sal

FWIW, I had a similar problem a little over a year ago. Had (have still) an SJ200 and an H'Bird TV. Wanted a third Gibson to complete my collection - but one that would be very different than the other two.

I was interested in a J45, but feared 2 short necks in mahogany would sound too similar. A friend here suggested I consider the J45 Koa. Which I did. It sounds fantastic, but very different than the H'Bird, even though Koa is a type of mahogany.

So - it depends on the specifics. Some folks think it's specious of Bozeman to offer so many variations of iconic models - Custom, Limited Edition, Signature, etc.- but, for me, it was exactly what I needed. (Or wanted. I get the two confused when it comes to guitars. ) So, maybe consider a J45 in rosewood. G'Luck.

Archived