Gibson Brands Forums

Pure raw Hendrix

Rabs

Whatever happened to that one movie that one guy from that one band was being Hendrix in?

rct

Hi rct, The film is called 'Jimi:All is By My Side'. It was released in 2014 and starred Andre Benjamin (Andre 3000, the rapper from the band called 'Outkast'). So I read he took the role very seriously and even learnt to play the guitar left handed as he didn't want to disrespect Hendrix.

I read that no Hendrix music featured in the film due to the Hendrix Estate request.

kind regards, Emma :)

Yeah I watched that film (its on Netflix)

And well, Benjamin as Hendrix was excellent.. I really believed his performance.. but its not a good film...

As mentioned they wernt allowed to use any real Hendrix music... and probably worse was that it wasn't a film about his music but a film about the relationships he was having at the time (probably the most boring thing about the man)...

The best bit is right at the end where they do that (oddly enough) Sgt Pepper in the video above, which was Hendrix's first big performance over here where the band had learned to play the song like hours before performing it and with some of The Beatles in the audience.... Now if that doesn't show guts and style I don't know what does :)

But yeah.. id skip it and wait for the official one which is being made..

I'll be a Hendrix devotee till the day I die! Thanks for posting the vids! I can't get enough!

Also thanks for the info on the current movie and the one to come! I'm embarassed to admit I never even saw 'Rainbow Bridge" but now that I'm thinking of it, it will be my next quest...so to speak.

I imagine I can get a copy of Ranibow Bridge via Amazon or similar. Here at work I can't get on amazon and old coot that I am, I still don't have a Smart phone! No lookee till I get home!

Thanks again!

Brian

I'll be a Hendrix devotee till the day I die! Thanks for posting the vids! I can't get enough!

Also thanks for the info on the current movie and the one to come! I'm embarassed to admit I never even saw 'Rainbow Bridge" but now that I'm thinking of it, it will be my next quest...so to speak.

I imagine I can get a copy of Ranibow Bridge via Amazon or similar. Here at work I can't get on amazon and old coot that I am, I still don't have a Smart phone! No lookee till I get home!

Thanks again!

Brian

Always a pleasure to share Hendrix with people who care [thumbup]

If you didn't see it check the trailer

But as mentioned.. all those scenes in the trailer where hes actually playing probably take up no more than 10 mins of the film...

Janie Hendrix was really upset with this film and is making her own with the Hendrix Estate... and also theres a couple of scenes in the film where Jimi gets angry and theres a bit of violence towards women.. but nothing too bad, they made a bit of a fuss about nothing...

If you really wanna get deep... you gotta listen to this interview made a week or so before he died... Im a total Hendrix nut case and to me this is one of the most interesting interviews with him ive ever heard.. He talks about what he wanted to do next, you know just after the Billy Cox and Band of Gypsys era and its so so interesting what he says... (I wont spoil it :))...

Archived