Gibson Brands Forums

I bought Bob's Smeck and want to say a few things to this board

Kmgreensman

First off, I want to thank Anne for letting me acquire Bob's guitar and GT Hurley for posting the video. If not for the video and post, I would have never known about it.

The reason I am posting this is that I don't take this situation lightly. I never had the honor of meeting Bob, but I know he was a very well respected man and member of this forum and had a passion and love for his guitars. I read a as many posts as I could and watched the videos of him and Anne playing together.

Like I said in my WTB post on the Acoustic Guitar Forum, I feel a little bit like the guy in "Saving Private Ryan" I hope I have "earned it". I hope so!

I just wanted to take a moment and let you know how much it means to me to be able to own this guitar. Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe is truly my one dream guitar.

I have a Fairbanks Roy Smeck Model that I love, but the Gibson Roy Smeck was the ultimate goal. Below is that Fairbanks Roy Smeck on a song I wrote called Hero after reading a poem from my friend Robert Cozzi about his father. Mr. Cozzi passed away last year after a battle with Cancer but from what I was told played it every day and was "proud" of it. I was just so happy to have been a (small) part of his life.

Thank you Anne, GT and Gibson Forum! It will be treasured and taken good care of!

Curtis Collins

Welcome. This guitar has found the perfect steward. Some time ago, GT Hurley had mentioned that he "knew someone" who did not sentimentalize guitars in the least. I read those words incredulously. As one who values the entire range of emotions that music can tap out of the human spirit, it would only seem natural that the more the connection to the "instrument", the better it would work. To think of all of the songs that have come out of your Smeck since the 1930's; and all of the conversations, from celebrations, holidays, and even talk of war that have gone into that soundhole. A blessing and a curse to see it as such, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Enjoy.

I'm at kinda' at a loss here. Would this be an "original" Roy Smeck Gibson, or a copy of an original? It truly sounds nice.

Right. 'Was kinda hoping Curtis would check back and clear up any confusion. The 1936 Roy Smeck Stage DeLuxe which last spent it's days with Anne and belated Bob (RAR) is now with the OP, who had a Fairbanks Smeck F-35 and the link was to give a listen to a song and a demo of that guitar, not the '36 Smeck. Now we need the Greensman to check in and confirm (?).

Right. 'Was kinda hoping Curtis would check back and clear up any confusion. The 1936 Roy Smeck Stage DeLuxe which last spent it's days with Anne and belated Bob (RAR) is now with the OP, who had a Fairbanks Smeck F-35 and the link was to give a listen to a song and a demo of that guitar, not the '36 Smeck. Now we need the Greensman to check in and confirm (?).

I am so sorry about the confusion.. This video I made was done last year on my Fairbanks F-30 which is Dale Fairbanks version of the original Gibson Roy Smeck. I just purchased Bob's Orginal 1936 Gibson Roy Smeck. I was away from the computer yesterday after that post. I havent received the Gibson Roy Smeck yet. I thin thhere is a repair to be done on the bridge plate that Paul said it needed so I may not get it for another couple of weeks, but I will make another video when I do get it. I just wanted to show you guys how much I love the "Roy Smeck" model guitar by my Fairbanks Smeck.. BUT nothing is like the original 30s roy smeck converted to playable guitar like the one that Bob owned.

Curt

Guys,

I appreciate your welcoming words! I will be a frequent visitor of this forum from here on out. I will have to confess, that when I first started playing guitar I was not a Gibson fan. I just didnt get it. I was a bright guitar fan...the brighter the better..but as I grew as a player I started moving more and more toward the more woody dry sound and then went from natural guitar to absolutely crazy about a sunburst... Now I am so Gibson, that I can't believe I ever liked other sounds. I have a Banner J-45 and a 48 J45 and really wanted the 30's Roy Smeck when I bought those, but none were available. My other guitars are both copies of an old Gibson. Kopp K-35 (Kevin Kopp's interpretation of a 30's J-35) and the Fairbanks F-30 (of a 30's Gibson Roy Smeck) I just love those old Sunburst slope shoulders from Gibson.

I cant tell you how much I appreciate you're kind words and making me feel welcome here. I look forward to getting to know you guys.

Curtis Collins

Welcome. This guitar has found the perfect steward. Some time ago, GT Hurley had mentioned that he "knew someone" who did not sentimentalize guitars in the least. I read those words incredulously. As one who values the entire range of emotions that music can tap out of the human spirit, it would only seem natural that the more the connection to the "instrument", the better it would work. To think of all of the songs that have come out of your Smeck since the 1930's; and all of the conversations, from celebrations, holidays, and even talk of war that have gone into that soundhole. A blessing and a curse to see it as such, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Enjoy.

You hit the nail on the head here! This is absolutely what I feel!!!. WAY more than wood and strings!! More like a friend. I am writing a song about this very thing...one line in it is "If it's just wood and steel to you, then you don't know him like I do"

I may have to finish that one!

Thanks guys..

Curt

Bob was one of the original group of folks that made up the "Gibson Homecoming". Bob and Anne came to Bozeman every spring for the Homecoming. He went to every tour and participated in every meeting so he gained a lot of knowledge about Gibson Montana. This he passed along on this forum. He always came to Bozeman with very special guitars he and Anne had purchased during the year. We all got to play and evaluate them.

Bob and Anne were an amazing duo and entertained us with their gift of music. Lynn and I always had dinner with them at least once when they came to visit. It was the high point of our year. Bob and Anne opened up their suite to us every year for a meet and greet the day before the "Homecoming" started. It was always a fine time to share our passed year and catch up with good friends. Sort of a family reunion if you will. Ren loved these times and he and Bob were good friends. Everyone looked forward to Bob and Anne rolling in with a car full of great guitars.

The thing about Bob that we all miss was his ability to calm the troubled waters here with knowledge and restraint. I will admit that I have no patience for ignorance but Bob would be the gentleman and correct misconceptions that others with less knowledge had.

Bob was an amazing guy that pioneered a lot of the computer technology we all use today. He worked at Berkeley for many years. Maybe that's where he came to be so patient with the us but I believe it was because he was a gentleman that we benefited from his posting.

To own one of Bob's guitars is an honor and a privilege, He played with such enthusiasm. Bob and Anne always entertained us with some ribald old blues tunes and we looked forward to the open mikes they participated in. Lots of good playin' and singin' with a lot of good natured humor. Bob was a regular at Jorum's clinics and he was a fine guitar player.

I will always cherish the memory of my good pal and the lunch we had just before they left for California for the last time. Bob,Anne,Dave,and Jack. Just sitting around at Ted's enjoying a fine Spring afternoon out on the patio.

Bob is missed but not forgotten.

Hogeye,

Thanks, was Bob known here as RAR ?

Yes, he was known as "RAR". As Hogeye said, he was very educated in Gibson guitars and always shared the information he had with members of this forum. A select few members of this forum didn't always accept some of the information he shared, but in the end, Bob was almost always right. He is missed a lot.

You hit the nail on the head here! This is absolutely what I feel!!!. WAY more than wood and strings!! More like a friend. I am writing a song about this very thing...one line in it is "If it's just wood and steel to you, then you don't know him like I do"

I may have to finish that one!

Thanks guys..

Curt

Yep. That's a good lyric.

AMP is indeed Bob's widow. She's a fine lefty guitar player and has some spectacular guitars as well. She and Bob were a great duo and Anne is still playing. She played for the open mike at this last "Homecoming". Anne is,like Val Bolitho, a wonderful quilt maker. She gave me one of her quilts and I was lucky enough to win another in a drawing at a "homecoming several years ago. Both are prized possessions.

Curt,

I was in Music Villa yesterday and was pleased to hear that you purchased the Smeck. I understand the importance of carrying on the Providence of very special instruments. I have a 1937 L-00 that belonged to a friend of mine Dr.Ben Bullington before he succumbed th cancer. It has been redone and is a player I will not ever sell.

RARs Smeck is a truly wonderful instrument. Enjoy! Play on brother.

GT

Curt,

I was in Music Villa yesterday and was pleased to hear that you purchased the Smeck. I understand the importance of carrying on the Providence of very special instruments. I have a 1937 L-00 that belonged to a friend of mine Dr.Ben Bullington before he succumbed th cancer. It has been redone and is a player I will not ever sell.

RARs Smeck is a truly wonderful instrument. Enjoy! Play on brother.

GT

GT, I appreciate you putting that video up or I would have never found it. AND Paul at Music Villa has been so nice and helpful throughout the whole process. He went out of his way to make this a great experience. I can't say enough about Paul and the staff at Music Villa. I will get it on Wednesday and cant wait. The song you picked to play on it was THE best choice to show off what the Smeck could do. THANKS for writing it and playing it. I have watched that video so many times...you make it sound like there is way more than one guitar backing you up.. great perfoemance GT! You are truly great at it! Like they say..."this ain't your first rodeo!" lol Thanks man! Keep making that great music!

Curtis

Archived