Gibson Brands Forums

Your opinion please...

cliffenstein

A few weeks ago I scored a 2007 Epiphone Les Paul Custom in the rare Antique Ivory color with HSC for just $260. I also picked up a like new Gibson gold 498T for just $40 (seller bought a Gibson LPC and replaced the pickups).

Here's the guitar the night I brought it home...it's mint:

21149937328_c1bb0838a2_o.jpg

It's currently at the shop getting set up for how I play.

I'm looking for a bit of advice and/or opinions...

I picked up a pack of these knobs to replace the stock black speed knobs:

BKBACKPRO1.jpg

They look great on this guitar.

For the past several days, I've been toying with the idea of Randy Rhoadsing this thing out.

Gibson says RR used amber speed knobs, but a lot of the photos I see his knobs look gold and most of the metric amber knobs I see online for sale seem really dark.

Randy's toggle tip and toggle ring were brass, but finding them in brass is difficult. I did find the ring in brass and the metric tip in brass but they are from different sellers.

I have the option of getting the tip and the ring from the same seller in brass but with beautifully done gold plating.

Which option is best in your view?

1. Leave it with the classy knobs seen in the 2nd picture above and keep the toggle ring and tip stock.

2. Go full on Randy Rhoads brass ring/tip and amber knobs.

3. Go for the gold speed knobs and gold plated toggle ring/tip.

What do you think?

Randy Rhoads is exactly who I thought of when I saw your guitar.

I never liked his amber knobs. I don't really like them on any guitars to tell the truth.

I say option one. I even like the speed knobs.

Congratulations! Very nice guitar. [thumbup]

Let us know how it sounds when you get it back.

I like amber knobs, but problem is I don't have a guitar that they look better on than what it has. Or, rather, an "appropriate" guitar.

Keep in mind, there is amber, and I think gold. 2 colors, one being darker than the other. Can't remember right now what each is called.

I don't know. While RR's personal guitar certainly looked good to me, it isn't what I would think would be the stuff one would choose. Having said that, it certainly would be cool to mimic the look, and likely look just as cool to even those that were not familiar with the idea that your guitar was a replica.

Also, I think the idea of getting gold instead of brass would actually FIT overall, matching the gold hardware on the rest of the guitar. And with that, perhaps the gold colored knobs would fit in that scheme as well.

So many options. Who could choose? But I already like it better with the different knobs.

And BTW- there is NO reason why your parts should have to come from the same source. If some comes from here and some from there, what does it matter?

It doesn't have to come from the same source. It's just more likely the parts will look like they belong together.

I like the idea of the all gold, too, for the reasons you stated. I may buy all the gold parts and then put it together. Easy enough to put back if I don't like it as much.

Personally, I would go with 'top hat' over speed knobs every day. They are way more comfortable for me. I can't seem to do swells as smoothly on the speed knobs.

Black or gold would both look great on that guitar IMHO. Great find!

jv

Personally, I would go with 'top hat' over speed knobs every day. They are way more comfortable for me. I can't seem to do swells as smoothly on the speed knobs.

Black or gold would both look great on that guitar IMHO. Great find!

jv

Thank you...I don't do swells. I play full open all the time (my band's songs are from the Ramones school).

For both looks and function I would have left everything including the black speed knobs alone. On the other hand, I guess I would try the 498T, too.

I still have the black speed knobs...very easy to put back on should I choose to do so. Epiphone's Alnico Classic pickup is nowhere near the same league for my use as Gibson's 498T.

• 1 month later...

I got the gold parts and put 'em on and then didn't like it, so I put it back. I just got the guitar back from the shop after the fret dressing, fretboard dye job (love those dark fretboards!), flawless setup, electronics rewired (bridge pickup to volume knob with other volume knob, both tone knobs, neck pickup and toggle switch all disconnected). Finally, I had the stock Epiphone Alnico Classic pickup replaced with a Gibson 498T.

It looks, plays and sounds incredible. I am one happy camper!

22376454129_0a2904f7c3_o.jpg

22376454729_132f9266c0_o.jpg

22375324340_f72fd26322_o.jpg

22375325220_915068b0c9_o.jpg

Those photos were all taken at night...in the daytime the guitar is less yellow and more creamy (like the first photo in this thread).

Archived