Gibson Brands Forums

PSA: possible way to get a real Gibson at a reasonable price ...

Flyer91

Guys, I got this in an email today and thought I'd pass it along in case some of you might be interested.

One of these body/neck combos, the hardware and some pups of your choice, might make a nice custom Gibby axe at a pretty good discount ..... especially if you are looking for a certain Gibson and planning on modding it.

http://www.stratosph...39587-219847921

I have no first hand experience with this company, but I do recall reading some controversial posts regarding them, so if you decide to peruse anything check 'em out first.

So somebody buys crappy Gibsons and re-sells them? MAN the world is a weird place.

rct

That's a good point.

I was thinking more that Gibson might have found a way to reduce inventory on the unfinished and non-selling models of late.

But your valid point makes me wonder how the headlocks are labeled. (???)

Before buying, it might be wise to ask questions ..... by calling 'Gibson' customer service as a start.

Thanks for the cautionary response!

What is stupid about a brand new $500 Gibson SG?

Might as well buy a Corvette body and put a buncha junk under the hood and call it a Corvette. We used to call that a Bradley GT.

It isn't good for the company and it isn't good for business. It's actually kinda weird, like something the local meth dealer does.

rct

Is this how that goofy shop next county down that lost his Gibson franchise like 15 years ago is selling Gibsons again? I bet it is. See how bad this could be for business? I'ma give some clown full boat for a Les Paul that he cobbled together with parts from his cousins' Kent? Well, no, I'm not, but I can see a lot of people that will.

Lurch would make the appropriate sounds for me.

rct

interesting idea. I think it might be better if they stamped the headstock in some way so to as to make it clear for future buyers of built up guitars and avoid developing another class of guitar somewhere between a Chibson and a Gibson which buyers need to decipher.

Might as well buy a Corvette body and put a buncha junk under the hood and call it a Corvette. We used to call that a Bradley GT.

It isn't good for the company and it isn't good for business. It's actually kinda weird, like something the local meth dealer does.

rct

Yea, it's just like buying corvettes and being a meth dealer.

But it's more like buying a brand new $500 Gibson SG and putting your own pickups and pots in it.

Holy Christ... You guys would bitsh about finding a $100 bill...

Yea, it's just like buying corvettes and being meth dealer.

But it's more like buying a brand new $500 Gibson SG and putting your own pickups and pots in it.

Holy Christ...

I've been putting my own pickups and pots in guitars since 1972, thereabouts. Never needed anyone to buy them and take all the stuff off and re-sell them to me. It was a perfectly good guitar. What happened to all the stuff. No, wait, don't tell me, you add that to cart too, save a bundle!

Can't be good bro, no matter how you chop it up, re-selling isn't good eventually it'll catch up.

rct

I'm a bit sorry I posted this, as I sincerely didn't mean to start any arguments.

As indicated I was thinking that Gibson was purging their unfinished inventory of late model guitars (that met a lot of backlash) and might be sitting in their warehouse, but I see now that these are evidently guitars that the shop selling them has torn apart for better profit.

I'm not sure I particularly dig doing that, but if above board ...... it's a free economy ..... but admittedly does seem a bit unsavory IMHO.

Anyway ... my intent was to let you folks know of a way (that was new to me) to get a Gibson body and neck, that would provide you with the base for making a custom Gibson at a decent price, and let you make it "your own" without the cost of replacing stuff you wouldn't use, or to put in the hardware and pups that you either may have on hand, or can buy that might not be the best .... but are good enough for the purpose you need/want, all at less than buying a full Gibson axe.

I was not intending to insinuate that it would be OK to build it out of cheap/garbage parts and then pass it on as genuine.

If my post came across that way I am truly sorry, I did not mean that would be a proper thing to do at all.

What the hell are you talking about? Reselling is no good? So you have never sold a guitar?

An owner that buys something takes full ownership, and yes, it is mine and I have sold nice clean USED guitars.

Are you saying that web page goes out and buys nice clean used guitars off people and still calls them new?

Buying guitars in order to part them out, that is your only motivation, is re-selling.

If I buy the re-sold guitar in a shop that sells Gibsons, do you not see the problem? If I take it to a Gibson dealer for warranty work on the 24 dollar Golden Age pickups do you not see the problem?

How are these guys getting these guitars? Are they a Gibson dealer, putting up half a mil like the rest of them, getting quantity discount, authorizing repairs and all that?

rct

I'm a bit sorry I posted this, as I sincerely didn't mean to start any arguments.

Lol.. don't worry about it.. this is nothing, especially compared to how this place was a few years back (like a war zone)..

Healthy debate is good as long as people don't start getting personal (or political or religious :)).

And on a separate note I think I see what RCT is saying... As in its a problem if someone does this then tries to sell them as new or second hand Gibsons which will they could sell at a higher price than if someone knew it was taken apart and then put together by average joe...

On the other hand I don't really have any other issue with it.... as long as people are being honest about it all.

Lol.. don't worry about it.. this is nothing, espically compared to how this place was a few years back (like a war zone)..

Healthy debate is good as long as people don't start getting personal (or political or religious :)).

Thanks man, I'm glad my post falls under good grace ...... but not the religious kind. ;)

BTW: Searcy .... nice axe!!

Looks like you did a great job finishing it up! :)

As indicated I was thinking that Gibson was purging their unfinished inventory of late model guitars (that met a lot of backlash) and might be sitting in their warehouse, but I see now that these are evidently guitars that the shop selling them has torn apart for better profit.

I'm not sure I particularly dig doing that, but if above board ...... it's a free economy ..... but admittedly does seem a bit unsavory IMHO.

Anyway ... my intent was to let you folks know of a way (that was new to me) to get a Gibson body and neck, that would provide you with the base for making a custom Gibson at a decent price, and let you make it "your own" without the cost of replacing stuff you wouldn't use, or to put in the hardware and pups that you either may have on hand, or can buy that might not be the best .... but are good enough for the purpose you need/want, all at less than buying a full Gibson axe.

I was not intending to insinuate that it would be OK to build it out of cheap/garbage parts and then pass it on as genuine.

If my post came across that way I am truly sorry, I did not mean that would be a proper thing to do at all.

It's just opinions about things we all love, guitars. Nobody forces anybody to agree, as long as nobody gets hurt or offended it is just yakking about guitars. This is the best place to do it whether we agree or not!

rct

An owner that buys something takes full ownership, and yes, it is mine and I have sold nice clean USED guitars.

Are you saying that web page goes out and buys nice clean used guitars off people and still calls them new?

Buying guitars in order to part them out, that is your only motivation, is re-selling.

If I buy the re-sold guitar in a shop that sells Gibsons, do you not see the problem? If I take it to a Gibson dealer for warranty work on the 24 dollar Golden Age pickups do you not see the problem?

How are these guys getting these guitars? Are they a Gibson dealer, putting up half a mil like the rest of them, getting quantity discount, authorizing repairs and all that?

rct

No. There's absolutely no issue with Stratosphere. They have been around for nearly 10 years. They buy in bulk from shops in and around New Hampshire and part them out on eBay and their own site. They are actually helping out the smaller dealers by giving them a way to sell mandatory inventory.

Gibson get to move product through their dealers. The dealers get to move the product that didn't sell. The guitar player gets a deal on a project guitar and Stratosphere make a little money for himself.

There is no grand conspiracy. There is no problem to be had unless you are determined to just invent one.

There is no grand conspiracy. There is no problem to be had unless you are determined to just invent one.

I don't see a grand conspiracy. I see a problem with people selling things as genuine Gibsons, just like they come in here it seems every day with another counterfeiter under the bed. I don't care what anyone does, but from a business point of view I do see how this could become a problem for Gibson, not for me. It's weird how they stand all on their Consteetooshin and such about the fingerboards but would seem to be ok with some company buying up their retailers stock and parting it out, at least as what appears to be Genuine Gibson guitars.

What other durable goods business does that?

rct

No problem so far.

It's just opinions about things we all love, guitars. Nobody forces anybody to agree, as long as nobody gets hurt or offended it is just yakking about guitars. This is the best place to do it whether we agree or not!

rct

[thumbup]

The only shortcoming in my opinion is that checking out the tonal behaviour isn't possible before buy.

I bought the four Floyd Rose MIM Stratocasters of mine as project guitars from the start. They were available HSS equipped only but I preferred noiseless SSS pickups. Anyway, I bought the entire guitars, and therefore was able to check them for sound and playability before spending the money on them. Later I had all the work done by the dealer's workshop including routing the SSS pickguards for Floyd Rose, and additional routings for battery compartments and active circuits of the Graph Tech Ghost piezo modded ones. The bench charges were a bargain, and the warranty is preserved, too.

I only wish you didn't post this because you've got my GAS started up a bit. Only problem is I can't play one before I buy... The 2015 gibsons are supposed to have wider necks, which is exactly what I don't want, so I would really wanna try one out first.

Searcy, what model SG body did you start with? That finish is freaking beautifully sprayed by the way. Nice job gibson

Archived