Gibson Brands Forums

Sg newbie

Sictransit

I am new to the board and a new sg owner. I just picked up a standard 2016 sg at guitar center. Sounds great. I noticed the other night that it has a very flimsy neck. Is that normal on an sg? How normal is it? Because mine goes out of tune when I rest my picking arm of the guitar. I basically have to baby the guitar while I play and not rest my arm. I really want to keep it because it sounds good, but I hope I didn't get a $1200 lemon.

If you have not changed the strings that's the first thing to do. I just got my '61 guitar center SG this weekend it would not stay in tune at the store

They changed the strings at the store and stretched them and it has been very solid since then.....

... I noticed the other night that it has a very flimsy neck. ...

Strictly spoken, the neck of all of my guitars is that flimsy, too. Pitch deviations may be slightly more noticeable on guitars with slim necks like Gibson early 60's, Explorers, or Ibanez Wizards, but basically all of my guitars behave this way regardless of brand, neck material, and neck profile.

This is why appropriate pitches call for tuning in playing position. Precise intonation also takes fretting by just touching the strings and with just holding up the fingering force with the thumb without any additional forces applied to the neck.

The effect is less obtrusive with heavier string gauges.

I can bend any guitar neck to get a shift in pitch, that includes my SG. Though, I haven't noticed my SG being particularly flexible in that regard. Do you have this problem with other guitars? Other SGs? More to the point: is this a behavior you can change? I mean, how much force are you exerting on the guitar while at rest?

I have owned 4 SG's and never had this problem. Charlie Brown is a SG expert he would know.

LOL...hardly an "expert," but I DO know what I like! The slight neck movement varies, guitar to guitar,

and even year to year...depending on neck joint, wood density, grain pattern (in odd cases), and...most

of all, how "wild" the player/owner tends to play. If you're a real "banger," you may want the sturdier

(single cut) Les Paul models. Even 335's and double cut Les Paul necks will move, slightly. But, once

you get used to the feel, and touch sensitivity, it shouldn't be a problem. Unless, there's a weak area,

in the neck joint. Which may lead to tuning issues, as well.

Slight movement, is "normal." IF it moves a LOT, then you have a neck joint issue, more than likely.

Good Luck, and enjoy your new SG! [thumbup]

CB

I don't think this is normal. It is overly flexible. A guitar should not go out of tune just from resting an arm on the body. Right? I am not applying any pressure to the neck to do bends on purpose. Just resting my arm. I don't play very hard either. I play classical guitar also and have a light touch.

I don't think this is normal. It is overly flexible. A guitar should not go out of tune just from resting an arm on the body. Right? I am not applying any pressure to the neck to do bends on purpose. Just resting my arm. I don't play very hard either. I play classical guitar also and have a light touch.

Yes, if there is that much "play" or movement, by all means "Take it Back!" Try out a few other SG's, while you're there.

See if any other's display that sort of neck wobble. I have 4 SG's, but they all have very stable necks, unless I truly

force them to move very slightly. But, nothing like you're describing, at all! [unsure]

As to tell tale signs? Well, does it wobble up and down, as well as back and forth? Is the paint cracked, at the neck joint?

If, after the normal string tightening period, and in the absence of a "nut" slot issue, are you constantly having to re-tune,

after only a short time...like not even one song, etc.? This is not always, or necessarily, a factory "defect," as much as

it may have been dropped, in shipping, and losened the neck joint. If you ever watched how some shipping companies throw boxes

around, you'll get the picture.

At any rate, I WOULD take it back, or to a good Luthier, at the very least, to have it checked out!

Good Luck!

CB

I took the sg back to guitar center. The guitar tech believed that something was wrong with the neck joint. He's never seen anything like it. That guitar was very flexy without adding much pressure at all. He said he would return it if it was his. I have ordered a new one. I'll get it next week.

I took the sg back to guitar center. The guitar tech believed that something was wrong with the neck joint. He's never seen anything like it. That guitar was very flexy without adding much pressure at all. He said he would return it if it was his. I have ordered a new one. I'll get it next week.

Good Idea! Hope the next one will be everything you want! [thumbup]

CB

Archived