Gibson Brands Forums

The bathroom sessions: take 1

Lars68

While on a business trip for work I recorded this in the bathroom of my hotel room. My tiny travel guitar got so loud I had to mute the strings while playing. I was literally sitting on the toilet while playing, seat down and pants up, mind you... [thumbup]

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/way-up-on-the-hill-the

Not a piece that will leave a mark on the history of recorded music perhaps, but a bit of fun in an unusual place to practice. It was a lot easier to hear myself, and maybe my pitchy singing benefited ever so slightly.

Lars

P.S. the door is now open for all jokes you see fit...

Yeah, it is funny, Lars. I was a bit apprehensive when I read "the bathroom sessions"...lol... but I've got to say that YOU ARE using your voice more. No kidding. I could hear that from the start. Keep doing whatever it is you're working on.

Now to the joke...lol.......the song sounds pretty good. You won't have to flush this one down the toilet.

Yeah, it is funny, Lars. I was a bit apprehensive when I read "the bathroom sessions"...lol... but I've got to say that YOU ARE using your voice more. No kidding. I could hear that from the start. Keep doing whatever it is you're working on.

Now to the joke...lol.......the song sounds pretty good. You won't have to flush this one down the toilet.

MP, thanks for the kind words! I do feel like I'm improving, and your positive feedback is encouraging.

This little recording clearly shows how important the room is for a good recording. Sal, is absolutely right. This one sounds like crap! The thing is that I used the same recording equipment as on the other takes I have on the Soundcloud page. However, the small room covered in tiles made for a completely different recorded sound. The guitar also sounds lifeless. It's a very, very tiny 1938 Kalamazoo 3/4 guitar, but it sounds surprisingly good in a normal environment.

Lars

By the way, my guitar is the one on the far left below. It's a midget, even among other small guitars (the others are not mine)

image_zps801607d3.jpg

Archived