Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne Last Night

MorrisrownSal

I had the pleasure of seeing JB at his absolute best last night - with full band. What a thrill. My seats were not great, but the sound from where I sat was such a perfect mix. Just the easy California songwriter at his peak, with a band to match. Larry Campbell on lead guitar, as well as Larry's wife Theresa Williams on a few songs. Lap steel magical... drumming tight...

He also switched guitars every single song, and used a plethora of open tunings. I think he was playing one of his Jackson Browne Gibsons in the below photos, although he also brought out a Smeck or two. Sorry for the quality of the photo, as its taken on my iPhone, and I didnt want to watch the concert through a screen, so I didnt take many.

JB_zpsm782lu1y.jpg

I enjoy JB's singing and songwriting a lot more now than I did when he and I were both a lot younger. In some ways, he was almost self-consciously an old soul when he was a young man. He's now reached a stage in life where he can sing those old man songs and their newer, younger companions with no hint of irony.

He did a wonderful NPR Tiny Desk concert a couple of years ago that remains one of my favorite JB performances.

And he has really, really good taste in guitars.

Saw him in August. Superb show and he sounds as good as ever. Was disappointed that he only did probably 3 or 4 of the old tunes that we came to know him by and all the rest was newer stuff. Also heard a lot of disappointment in people around us.

Yea I imagine that was a wonderful show.

My feelings on JB pretty much match exactly what Nick wrote, I appreciate him much more now than I used too.And 1+ on the Tiny Desk concert...and I'll also throw in the Solo Acoustic albums as a bit of a tour-de-force as well.

Good on ya Jackson!

For those JB fans who haven't seen the Tiny Desk concert from last year, here's a link:

My link

The video quality is better on this Youtube version:

Check out the size of the neck on that Smeck Stage De Luxe on the second song!

I just listened to the whole NPR show. That was sensationally good! I have always been aware of JB, but never really listened to much of his music. That is about to change. The acoustic CD is perhaps a good place to start?

Lars

There are two acoustic CD's, and both are pretty good. You can preview every song by going onto his website. A lot of these songs are stripped down solo acoustic (either guitar or piano) versions of old songs of his that suffered a lot from over-production in the 70's and 80's. Think of recordings by the Eagles, to get a sense of what I mean by "over-production".

I just listened to the whole NPR show. That was sensationally good! I have always been aware of JB, but never really listened to much of his music. That is about to change. The acoustic CD is perhaps a good place to start?

Lars

This one -- http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Acoustic-1-2-Reis/dp/B001GJ2ZIY -- it's two cd's. You will not be disappointed. I have just about worn mine out. An artist who can sound like that with just one guitar or one piano is amazing.

He also has another cd or double cd, can't recall but I think it is a double cd, as well, and it's not as good as the one above, but still worth getting. There are some great songs on it, too. I recall it being recorded in Spain, don't remember the name.

Yea I imagine that was a wonderful show.

My feelings on JB pretty much match exactly what Nick wrote, I appreciate him much more now than I used too.And 1+ on the Tiny Desk concert...and I'll also throw in the Solo Acoustic albums as a bit of a tour-de-force as well.

Good on ya Jackson!

Yep, I'm with you guys. I am new to him, but that Tiny Desk and those two acoustic albums made it for me. He is a class act, through and through.

Overproduction is something I'm noticing more and more, again, in current music, and it really drives me away. I find I prefer the raucous, electric guitar/bass/drums because it's less produced. What I really like is acoustic music, though, and often times it is either terminally boring, drenched in reverb, or just overproduced to the point of nausea.

I have come to really enjoy Wilco and Jeff Tweedy in general, but I feel like their albums are overproduced. Their live videos (speaking of Tiny Desk), on the other hand, where all that production is gone, are really wonderful--just instruments, voices and microphones.

The Wilco Tiny Desk is great. He plays a bunch of Gibsons.

There is also a Tiny Desk of Fountains of Wayne. I know nothing about them, but I really enjoyed that Tiny Desk, where the lead singer/writer plays a J-45 (which sounds fantastic) and the lead guitar player plays an old SJ-200.

I find as I get older (and I am frankly not very old), it is much harder for me to find music I like. :( Even ten years ago it was not hard, and 15 years ago, I couldn't walk out the door without coming back with an album I absolutely loved.

I seem to have the best luck looking at folks like Jackson who have been at it for a while. I have little tolerance for anyone under 40...

Yep, I'm with you guys. I am new to him, but that Tiny Desk and those two acoustic albums made it for me. He is a class act, through and through.

Overproduction is something I'm noticing more and more, again, in current music, and it really drives me away. I find I prefer the raucous, electric guitar/bass/drums because it's less produced. What I really like is acoustic music, though, and often times it is either terminally boring, drenched in reverb, or just overproduced to the point of nausea.

The Tiny Desk concerts are great in part because there is no chance of over-production. Basic live performance in a small space with absolutely minimal signal processing. You can either cut it with your voice and instrument, or you can't.

Back to roots, in the best possible sense.

Speaking of minimal production, I love the tiny amps that Val McCallum and Greg Leisz use in the Jackson Browne video. Not much bigger than the little Fender Champ I use at home for electric guitar.

The Tiny Desk concerts are great in part because there is no chance of over-production. Basic live performance in a small space with absolutely minimal signal processing. You can either cut it with your voice and instrument, or you can't.

Back to roots, in the best possible sense.

Speaking of minimal production, I love the tiny amps that Val McCallum and Greg Leisz use in the Jackson Browne video. Not much bigger than the little Fender Champ I use at home for electric guitar.

Totally agree on all accounts.

I traded my electric for the J-15 (I paid $107 for it in 1999... collectible pickups on it and now it sells for $1000 some places), and I had a giant tube amp (part of the trade toward the Hummingbird Vintage). I swore if I ever get another amp/electric, it will be a small one, and if I need it to be loud, I'll mic the amp for gosh sake. Man alive that thing was heavier than the earth and everything on it.

I'm going to disagree here. I don't find any of JB's albums overproduced. I'd say Late For the Sky and Running On Empty make two solid albums from start to finish, with Saturate Before Using and For Everyman trailing slightly and The Pretender and Hold Out being the last of the essentials.

An excellent career overview with highlights like 'Barricades of Heaven" and "The Naked Ride Home" included would be this one. http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Jackson-Browne/dp/B00J2522NC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443308314&sr=8-2&keywords=Jackson+Browne

I find the Solo Acoustic albums a bit dull.

I enjoy JB's singing and songwriting a lot more now than I did when he and I were both a lot younger. In some ways, he was almost self-consciously an old soul when he was a young man. He's now reached a stage in life where he can sing those old man songs and their newer, younger companions with no hint of irony.

He did a wonderful NPR Tiny Desk concert a couple of years ago that remains one of my favorite JB performances.

And he has really, really good taste in guitars.

His fault with that tiny desk concert that I bought my 1944 Martin 0-17! And I was reading an article at the time where he loved that model and was busy buying all the pristine ones!

BluesKing777.

My SIL went to see him. She said it was really great. She mentioned he went through a slew of guitars changing with nearly every song. To her that meant he was good.

Hey, we should just install one of them G-Force Tuning Robots on his Roy Smeck model! Then he'd only need one guitar! :)

Archived